Kids, lights and canopies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all :)
I have questions about the canopy hoods. I have a compact that holds two blubs up to 26 watts each, so I can't use it for a heat bulb (although I have been for a few weeks and need to change it) I don't want to use a regular clamp lamp because they get really hot and I have 3 young boys ~ eventually a finger will get burned. Our beardie is in a 55 gallon. Any suggestions? are there hoods similar to the canopy that I can use the spot lights in? We have a reptisun 10.0 in it now. Also, what temp is ok for the night? Can I just switch the lights off or does he really need a red night bulb? It gets 65-68 at night in the house. The person who had him before had no UVB lights on him, just plain white bulbs and never fed him greens. There is also this white film on the tank that no amount of scrubbing will get off, any suggestions for that?
beach2012June27037.jpg
left side
beach2012June27036.jpg
right side
beach2012June27038.jpg
whole tank

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Zoo Med Deluxe Sliding Hood. LOVE it! Each light has it's own switch for super easy temp control. The outside of the hood stays cool, and it even 'clamps' on to the tank! I have a 6 year old daughter and a large breed dog. I was scared out of my mind! I couldn't step out of the house without thinking that my 3 light system would start a fire or burn my little girl! You can get more info from the 'Petco' site. I'll NEVER go back to 3 lights! :D

carlisv

Hatchling Member
To answer your question about night heat, if your house stays above 65 the beardie will be fine with no lights. As a matter of fact, those red bulbs that pet stores sell give off too much light and disturb the beardie's sleep (they can see the red light, no matter what pet store folks tell you). In the winter if your house gets much below 65 you can get a ceramic heat emitter - it's basically a bulb that gives off warmth with no light at all. Beardies actually do better when they're given the chance to cool down at night. If they're constantly at high temps their systems don't work to their full capacity. Lots of folks have their beardies sleep somewhere other than their viv at night - a drawer, special pillow, hammock - as long as it's safe. My Richard would love to sleep under this one particular pillow on our couch, but I'm scared to death someone will sit on him or throw something heavy there if they get up before he does! So after he falls asleep there I put him back in his viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete5775
Top Bottom