Khaesael has a bruised stomach...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonoob

I have a bearded dragon, just under four months. Her name is Khaesael. I have never had any problem with her whatsoever. She's been a voracious eater and a normal pooper.

Anyways, she was fine yesterday when I gave her like 10 crickets (I would have given her more but I ran out.) Anyways, that was in the early afternoon and she was totally fine, running around, scratching at the walls of her tank, eating the crickets I gave her with a passion, etc. The only weird thing that I noticed yesterday was that she's done a huge poop, like longer than her leg. I was kind of weirded out but I didn't pay much mind to it, just chalked it up to her growing and such.

Anyways, I walked in my room to check on her a few hours later and it was a completely different picture. There were a bunch of tiny poops scattered around, as well as this massive structure that looked like undigested cricket. I'm guessing that was vomit, because it was in a huge mound. Khaesael was just lying on her rock, completely flat with head lowered and her back leg dangling off the side. Usually she's in a position where she can move in an instant should that take her fancy. I cleaned her cage, and there was no feral struggling when I picked her up. She just flopped down again.

So she's been like this all day. My mom and I moved her to her water bowl and she drank, but I don't think she had enough to drink. She hasn't eaten anything since the crickets yesterday, when she was feeling fine. She just lies there and is extremely lethargic - also, her coloration is darker than usual but it changes from greyish-yellow to dark brown all the time so I'm not too worried about that. Her stomach seems swollen and shaped as if she ate a small barrel; I didn't think it was from impaction because she pooped AND threw up but now I'm having second thoughts and I'm very worried.

Because she's so young, I use paper towels for her cage and I have two lamps, one that's just for heat and the other is for UVB rays. The crickets I buy are small and she eats like 10-25 a day, depending. I'm really freaking out because when I was twelve I had a leopard gecko and it died a very violent death from impaction. I also can't really pay for an emergency vet visit, as I'm only a senior in high school and I don't exactly have money. Any help would be immensely appreciated!

As you can tell by my name, this is my first dragon and I have a lot less of an idea of what I'm doing than I thought I did.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....sorry to hear about your little girl being sick. How big is she ? Do you have a tape measure or ruler ? If not, as long as a pencil, shorter, longer ? Just trying to get an idea....and how big were the crickets ? No longer than the space between her eyes ? I know you said small, so if they were appropriate size, it wouldn't make sense for them to be the cause. Is there anything else in the tank , even a fake plant, that she could have eaten ? Just to rule everything out. Also, what brand + type of light do you have, and how hot is her basking area ? As for possible impaction, you can give her some veg. oil, canned pumpkin [ plain,not spiced ] or baby food prunes. Also, good to keep her hydrated. Hopefully you'll figure out what happened....she probably won't eat for a day or two though.

Dragonoob

Original Poster
Yep the crickets are appropriately sized but I forgot to add that that's ALL I feed her. Not literally all, but like 98% of her diet.

I can't for the life of me remember the brand oflighting, but it's coil, which from what I've read around here is bad. How much does the tube lighting cost? The temp is 110 at the top if her basking rock. The cool side is 80-ish.

Nope. She has the paper towel, the water bowl, her rock, and a wooden ladder that she likes to climb. Although twice I have pulled hair out of her mouth- not sure how it got in the cage but I don't even want to imagine what would happen if she swallowed a piece.

Turned her lights off and she moved to the other side of the cage. She's greyish again now, like she always is when she's asleep.

Burra

Hatchling Member
I would take her to the vet if it continues through tomorrow. It may be that she just has an upset stomach, but she still could be impacted after the poop. Animals of all types that are blocked or impacted tend to go it after they eat since there is nowhere else for it to go. Hopefully this is not the case for you. Good luck and keep us posted!

Amy2

Hatchling Member
Hi, I am sorry to hear that your baby isn't feeling well. To answer your question about the tube lighting, the Repti Sun 10.0 is what you want to get. The cheapest place to get it will be online, either thru ebay, or petmountain.com, or maybe drsfosterandsmith.com. Generally you should be able to find them on sale for around 19.99 - 24.99 plus the cost of shipping, which is usually only 4.99, and sometimes free. You just have to search around and see what is cheapest for where you live. Once in awhile, if you have a petco near you, they do have them on sale for 29.99, which may be about what you will pay with shipping, it just depends on prices, and what length of tube light you need also.

Also, can you provide a little more information about your beardie? Approximately how old is your beardie? if you are not sure, how long is your beardie? Do you give him/her any greens(lettuce) ? Do you supplement with calcium and vitamins? Do you give your beardie baths, and if so, how often?

Answering these questions can help us figure out other things that might be going on with your little one.

Thank you, I hope she starts feeling better soon :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would go ahead & turn off the coil light though, as it can cause a lot of health issues & stress. As suggested, try to get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb, either one. They are both great bulbs.
Are you using a temp gun or digital probe to measure the temperatures in the tank?
Be sure to allow for up to 2 hours prior to lights out at night, for her to digest after a meal so it sits better in her tummy.
Are you using a bright white basking light, or a daytime bulb that is bluish tinted?

Tracie

Dragonoob

Original Poster
Khaesael isn't any better today. When I went to pick her up her head started trembling violently. I thought she was going to die for a minute, but she stopped. I soaked her (didn't help but perked her up) and my mom managed to force a couple of drops of vegetable oil down her. I felt a lump on her stomach, so I'm pretty sure she's impacted. Her head has started shaking every tine I pick her up or put good near her, which makes me wonder if she's calcium deficient as well?

I turned the UVB light off. I think I can pull off $30 for a new one, unless of course she dies :( she's 10 inches at the MOST, although I'm kinda guestimating. I haven't given her a bath until today, didn't know they were important. She eats - well, ate - mostly crickets, but they were the right size. I don't suppliment.

EDIT: I googled about her head trembling and from what I heard it's rickets! Does she have rickets from impaction, or is the trembling just from impaction, or is she impacted from calcium deficiency? Either way I'm kinda freaking out cause I don't know what to do and I can't afford to spend like $80 to take her to a vet, especially if she's dead by morning.

Amy2

Hatchling Member
I am so sorry that your baby isn't improving. It would be helpful if you can get the light, otherwise, if it is warm and sunny outside, you can take her outside...20 - 30 minutes outside might do wonders. They say that 30 minutes in the direct sunlight is equivalent to several hours under the Reptisun light. There can't be a screen over her though, as screen filters the UV rays out. Just a thought, in case you have a chance. As far as the calcium deficiency goes, I do not know much about that...I know they usually recommend liquid calcium, but Tracy, the person that responded after I did earlier, Is very knowledgeable about beardies and illnesses, so she can most likely help you the most. You can pm her too, it might be quicker. I really hope for the best, please keep us updated on how she is doing. I will keep her in my prayers, and you in my thoughts. Take care.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry that she's no better, I know this is hard for you, and your poor dragon. I hope she's still alive this a.m There's always hope. You mentioned something that could be critical...if you haven't supplemented, she would definitely have a calcium deficiency, and the body needs calcium for EVERYTHING, including muscle contraction which would compound her problem and more easily cause impaction.Yes, the impaction and calcium deficeiency go hand in hand in your case. As was mentioned, she needs calcium , liquid would be best [ you can order from a member on here [ bearded dragon.co ] Oh, and I think Tracie [ Drache613 ] also sells it. But in the mean time, if you can even get some powdered calcium with D3 from the pet store and mix with a little water and give her that, plus she needs a good UVB bulb right now very much to help her absorb the calcium. If your parents will do it, and you have a reliable reptile vet, she should be seen, explain that your dragon has had no calcium and a vet could give her a dose right away. I sure hope she can make it !

Dragonoob

Original Poster
Last night even after I turned off the light she didn't go to the cool dude of the room b like she always does. She was't even breathing - thought she was deadn. This mourning, however, she's awake and lifting her head, although she doesn't seem to be able to do much.

I'll order liquid calcium online, and buy some at the pet store on the way home from class. Any idea on the dosing I should

Benjirah

why would you buy a bearded dragon if you know nothing about them?
no supplements?
really?
and your family wont pay 90$ for a vet visit?
I'm afraid you shouldnt own a pet
sorry for the rude honesty.
I really am praying for you.
and ur baby

vampy

Juvie Member
Benjirah":21ten2tj said:
no supplements?
really?
and ur baby

That's a bit harsh. Some people do a lot of research before owning a beardie...but sadly get their info from the wrong place...normally a pet store. It's totally logical to trust a store who sells these animals to be able to advise on their care, so people buy a starter kit with 'everything their dragon needs', which must be right, cos it has pictures of dragons all over the box, and budget to feed them a bit of lettuce and half a dozen crickets a day, as that's what they are getting in the store.

It isn't until they have problems they start to search online, realise they've been doing everything wrong, and then have to spend a ton more money to get their dragon what it actually needs and nurse it back to health. At least the OP admitted she didn't know as much about them as she thought and is trying to learn what to do to make her baby better, rather than arguing and saying 'well the pet store said coil lights are ok so I'm gonna use one!' like we've seen in other threads.

Benjirah":2y4m7t1m said:
no supplements?
really?
and ur baby

Give it a rest, would you? Apologising for being rude doesn't make it any less rude. Just because they made a mistake without realising it, that doesn't mean you have the right to get all high and mighty. There is so much conflicting information and misinformation, why is it so surprising that people sometimes get it wrong? This person is here, trying to fix it, and that's what matters. Vet visits are expensive and most vets are useless when it comes to reptiles so they overcharge and don't do anything of real use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom