Juvenile Bearded Dragon Not Growing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Welcome to the forum! I have a couple changes to suggest that will help your beardie.
First, his food should be no bigger than the space between his eyes. Large crickets may be too big for him. Second, the UVB bulb you have for him is not the right one. Your pet store may have recommended it, but they often give out incorrect information. You will need a ReptiSUN 10 TUBE bulb, mounted inside the tank with any plastic cover over the bulb removed. He should be able to get within about 8 inches of the bulb.
Third, your basking temps are too high. We recommend no higher than 110. Most are comfortable at 105. This will decrease a bit as he ages. If you do not have a thermometer with a digital probe or a temp gun, you will need one. The round thermometers are off by up to 20 degrees. Cool side should be no higher than 80, I believe.
It is great that he is staying hydrated. That is so important! Are you using any calcium or vitamin supplements?

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
Niveus":145sa8jr said:
The calcium supplement i am using is the exo terra calcium+D3 and the uvb i'm using is the coiled exo terra 150watt 10.0
The thermoniter i'm using is one of the plastic circular one that came with my heat domes and as you said it is inaccurate, but i have never seen my beardie gaping his mouth so i think it is good enough as it feels pretty warm under it.

I'll see about getting a picture of my setup on here so you can have a better input.

The coils are bad for beardies they can cause eye damage. The only 2 recommended for beardies are the reptiSUN 10.0 TUBE or the arcadia 12%.

The dial thermometers are NOT accurate, you need to get a digital probe or a temp gun. You can get a cheap probe at walmart for 10-12 bucks it is the acurite digital probe in the indoor/outdoor thermometer section. or this place online has good prices http://www.drsfostersmith.com
If your temps and uvb are not right this could most definitely be why your guy is not eating.

AmberC

Hatchling Member
When was the last time he pooped? He may be willing to eat large crickets but it's a risk of an impaction, same with the supers. Have you tried soft bodied worms? I know you said variety but if he's being a picky eater you should try something new.

LaughingBuddha

Hatchling Member
You could try small Phoenix w.rms and cut up some locusts and feed in small parts. My beardie goes crazy for those 2 and they are very healthy.

Once you get the reptisun bulb you will need to dust the food with vitimins containing NO D3. The reptisun will enable the Dragon to create it's own vitimin D3 just like the sun would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom