Is this the beginning of gout?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, you can't blame him, getting a shot & shedding so he must be frustrated! I hope he is doing a lot better.

Tracie

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, unfortunately, Thors appetite is almost nonexistent. He eats bugs with no problem, but all other foods are a big no. I'm somewhat force feeding him, which is basically me trying to shove food in his closed mouth until he opens it, and then I shove it in. He will tolerate green beans, apples, and squashes this way.

But, he's in a massive shed. Every part of his body is shedding or has shed. So I'm thinking he's really uncomfortable? I'm struggling with his humidity. It's 30% day, and about 55% night. I have to keep it temperature controlled because I also have a hamster. Otherwise I would let the air stay off and let the humidity rise so it would help with his shed.

And his leg got swollen again. It took about 4 days for it to be sausage shaped and unable to bend it, and he was kind of dragging it around. Bit the swelling is going down, and he's using his leg minimally again, after only about 2 days of swelling.

His weight is still 620 grams, so he didn't lose a lot this time. And zero blackboard, so that's good.

I just wonder if his lighting is still off.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well, unfortunately, Thors appetite is almost nonexistent. He eats bugs with no problem, but all other foods are a big no. I'm somewhat force feeding him, which is basically me trying to shove food in his closed mouth until he opens it, and then I shove it in. He will tolerate green beans, apples, and squashes this way.

But, he's in a massive shed. Every part of his body is shedding or has shed. So I'm thinking he's really uncomfortable? I'm struggling with his humidity. It's 30% day, and about 55% night. I have to keep it temperature controlled because I also have a hamster. Otherwise I would let the air stay off and let the humidity rise so it would help with his shed.

And his leg got swollen again. It took about 4 days for it to be sausage shaped and unable to bend it, and he was kind of dragging it around. Bit the swelling is going down, and he's using his leg minimally again, after only about 2 days of swelling.

His weight is still 620 grams, so he didn't lose a lot this time. And zero blackboard, so that's good.

I just wonder if his lighting is still off.
Tell me about his lighting please- your humidity is being taken by a digital probe hygrometer? Or a stick on? How many times per week are you feeding insects?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Humidity is a none issue unless your beardie is sick anyway. I kept a beardie in Florida with 99% Humidity and I've kept beardies in Nevada with 3% humidity. Zero issues in 3urher place. If your fighting a respiratory infection then humidity might need to be controlled, otherwise it's fine.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tell me about his lighting please- your humidity is being taken by a digital probe hygrometer? Or a stick on? How many times per week are you feeding insects?
Humidity monitoring is the stick ons, but I use two, one on his hot side and one on his cold side. I didn't know they make digital probe hygrometer, so I'll look into that. No respiratory illness, no breathing problems.

His lighting is a 24" Arcadia with the bearded dragon bulb, I bought in March. It's mounted inside, and is 16 " above where his back is on his basking spot.

His basking light, I can't remember the brand, but it's a 150w basking lamp. Also mounted inside because I cant get about 95° with it outside with the fine mesh screen I have. His basking spot is 95-98°, measured with a digital probe.

I think I need another bulb, and I ordered an Arcadia 100w heat lamp. I normally have another lamp, but it burned out and I didn't even notice. So it should be here in the next couple days.

He's dehydrated, and I'm trying everything to get his hydration up, but I am afraid he'll aspirate water if I force it.

I normally do two days of greens and then bugs, so it's a floating schedule for his protein. I switch between crickets, dubia, superworms, silkworm pupa (from a can), and then for treats he gets hornworms. Greens, I switch between kale, collards, mustards, and turnips. He rarely eats anything else, but I treat him with dandelions (no chemicals), squashes, strawberries, and any other dragon-safe fruit or veggies. I always check to make sure it's safe before I buy it (meaning, multiple sites need to say the same thing before I feed it to him.)

I was giving him the Critical Care omnivore every day, per vet's instructions, but I'm worried about it possibly causing the swelling. I'm gonna give it to him on Wednesdays and Saturdays. He gets calcium with d3 once a week on greens, and calcium without d3 all the other greens days. I only dust bugs if he hasn't eaten a lot of greens.

I might just be overreacting, because he ate 6 grasshoppers (not a normal staple) three days ago, and he did a massive poop two days ago. I didn't think he'd eaten any greens, but when I let him swim in my tub today, he did another big poop. After the swim (during which he did drink some water) I weighed him, and he's between 625 and 630 grams. He's always been a lean dragon, so I think I just need to relax a bit. His tail base and head have never really been filled in.

I really would like to get another dragon, but I'm not gonna do it till I know I'm getting it right with Thor.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Humidity monitoring is the stick ons, but I use two, one on his hot side and one on his cold side. I didn't know they make digital probe hygrometer, so I'll look into that. No respiratory illness, no breathing problems.

His lighting is a 24" Arcadia with the bearded dragon bulb, I bought in March. It's mounted inside, and is 16 " above where his back is on his basking spot.

His basking light, I can't remember the brand, but it's a 150w basking lamp. Also mounted inside because I cant get about 95° with it outside with the fine mesh screen I have. His basking spot is 95-98°, measured with a digital probe.

I think I need another bulb, and I ordered an Arcadia 100w heat lamp. I normally have another lamp, but it burned out and I didn't even notice. So it should be here in the next couple days.

He's dehydrated, and I'm trying everything to get his hydration up, but I am afraid he'll aspirate water if I force it.
Use a eye dropper to give him water or place him in a bath - if he starts drinking too fast pull him to slow him down -- please lower the UVB to around 13 inches its too high -- Exo Terra makes digital hygrometers - Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com this probe needs to go on the back center wall of the tank
why do you need another basking bulb 95-98 is good for surface basking temps

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Use a eye dropper to give him water or place him in a bath - if he starts drinking too fast pull him to slow him down -- please lower the UVB to around 13 inches its too high -- Exo Terra makes digital hygrometers - Exo Terra Digital Hygrometer | Dubia.com this probe needs to go on the back center wall of the tank
why do you need another basking bulb 95-98 is good for surface basking temps
Because his basking lamp is only about 10-12 inches away from the basking spot, and I thought it would be too close.

I am going fix the uvb tonight. I followed the recommendation on the bulb. Maybe that's why he's not motivated to eat greens.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I use a syringe to give him water. I saved all of the ones I used from his antibiotic injections. They work perfectly without the needle on it. But he clamps his mouth shut and I'm afraid that if I force him, he'll aspirate.

I had a thermometer probe like that with a hygrometer on it - he tried to eat it. But I'll try and mount it higher. I will order one with his next food shipment from dubia.com if they have it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Because his basking lamp is only about 10-12 inches away from the basking spot, and I thought it would be too close.

I am going fix the uvb tonight. I followed the recommendation on the bulb. Maybe that's why he's not motivated to eat greens.
Basking distance is good you don't want it closer than 6"-- yes please lower the uvb

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I use a syringe to give him water. I saved all of the ones I used from his antibiotic injections. They work perfectly without the needle on it. But he clamps his mouth shut and I'm afraid that if I force him, he'll aspirate.

I had a thermometer probe like that with a hygrometer on it - he tried to eat it. But I'll try and mount it higher. I will order one with his next food shipment from dubia.com if they have it.
Eyedroppers work better, you can control the amount of water that comes out better.
Also if you place your fingers over his head and your thumb under his chin in the shape of a C, you can use the thumb to gently pull his lip down towards the back of his mouth. It's super easy and doesn't hurt them. Just squirt a little water outside his teeth and gums, a lot of the time thats enough to get them to start lapping the water from their snout.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you check the ingredients of the Omnivore care? Does it have soy or corn products in it possibly?
It is hard when they don't cooperate with taking food or fluids. It he isn't losing weight, then that is a
good sign.
If his swelling seems to have gotten worse with adding that particular food, try cutting it out for a few
days to see if that makes a difference.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom