Is this all that Bearded Dragons do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodyberry

Hatchling Member
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and just recently built a custom cage for my wife's 3 BDs. She is really getting into them - talking to them, holding them, burrito them, etc. They look happy and healthy. Yet I'm having a hard time getting into them as much as she has. I am more used to other pets - cats, dogs, etc. that at least can be trained or exhibit emotions, etc when you play with them.

What can bearded dragons do? I don't mean to sound facetious, and I would like to get into them more, but at 5 months, they seem to just eat, sleep and poop!

Yes, we take them out daily and I have held them and hand-fed them, but what else do they like? Can you "pet" a beardie where they will actually like it? Will they play with you? (short of going crazy in the tank sometimes).

I guess I'm just looking for more insight into what they like besides just sitting on a log or my shoulder.

Thanks all...

carpedraconum

Hatchling Member
Dragons do exhibit all those features, you just need to look at them like a lizard and not a dog. They are great little guys that like to explore. You more or less have to enjoy them. They will get used to you and jump at the sight of you and snuggle in when on your chest, but it really comes down to either liking them or not. Playing with them really involves food and climbing your arms, fingers, face, buit it comes down to liking that. Hope all works out. Dragons are great pets, just not a "typical" pet.

Drew and his 6

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
I have to agree with Drew, I myself find them to be very interesting. I love to put my baby down in the floor and watch what they do... Phoenix (male) for example LOVES dog food, and no this isnt food for htem but he got a peice once and fell in love so i have to pick up every little peice of dog food, to this day he knows wehre the dog food is at (i keep it in one of those large bins with wheels so the ants dont get in them) i find it so funny that he knows that food is in that bucket. if i move it he can track it down lol. also as far as love and affection go, how about Phoenix is brumating (partially) and i have tested this numerous times. my hubby can go into the room 425689292928627279 times and all he will get is an eye crack at him lol, but if i go in to the room, pheonix will open both eyes and actually get up (most of the time) and come to the glass and scratch at it, i will hold him and he will crawl up me to my shoulder and snuggle my neck and hair :D if thats not love idk what is... :mrgreen:

now my female is a bit different probably because she is still young, but she has really taken a liking to my husband... i work with her as much as i can during the week which unfortunatly istn much...aside from the bath time, food and a little roam time i can give her... but if my hubby walks in she will glass dance like crazy, and loves to run all up and down him lol on me, she is a shoulder rider to say the least... i think she and i have to bond a little more... but there are my thoughts :D i hope its answered your ? somewhat...
Jor :D

jeserah

Sub-Adult Member
Phoenix! How long you've been back?? It's good to see you posting again!

I like to watch my dragon chase his food and attempt to find a way off of my tall bed. They're neat reptiles because sometimes you can "see" them thinking about their next plan of action.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
jeserah":15wtpdx2 said:
Phoenix! How long you've been back?? It's good to see you posting again!

I like to watch my dragon chase his food and attempt to find a way off of my tall bed. They're neat reptiles because sometimes you can "see" them thinking about their next plan of action.

i got a new phone so i've been back for a minute!! how have you been!!!!! oh started a blog for both the babies, check it out! i have great stories to add but of course still have some others too lol!! i'm so glad to be back buddy lol!!! :mrgreen:

Grimleo

Juvie Member
jodyberry":gnvnpoqw said:
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and just recently built a custom cage for my wife's 3 BDs. She is really getting into them - talking to them, holding them, burrito them, etc. They look happy and healthy. Yet I'm having a hard time getting into them as much as she has. I am more used to other pets - cats, dogs, etc. that at least can be trained or exhibit emotions, etc when you play with them.

What can bearded dragons do? I don't mean to sound facetious, and I would like to get into them more, but at 5 months, they seem to just eat, sleep and poop!

Yes, we take them out daily and I have held them and hand-fed them, but what else do they like? Can you "pet" a beardie where they will actually like it? Will they play with you? (short of going crazy in the tank sometimes).

I guess I'm just looking for more insight into what they like besides just sitting on a log or my shoulder.

Thanks all...

It really helps to have an appreciation and fascination of them. That's why reptiles are really not for everyone. Reptile keepers develop a deep love for their animals, much like you would a dog or a cat. They are completely different animals that take a completely different mindset to understand them. :|

carpedraconum

Hatchling Member
I really only see a dog as something that eats, makes messes, makes a lot of noise, smells, makes my allergies kill and you can occasionally play with it. Everyone has their niche, maybe lizards aren't yours. If you enjoy lizards then look for what fascinates you instead of comparing it to a dog or cat.

Drew

sara24354

Sub-Adult Member
Beardies are wonderful critters. The first one I ever saw would just sit on my shoulder and ride there for hours,but he was getting older. I have 2 a male and a female.the female gravitates more to my husband,I can do anything with her,even snuggle her if my hubby has to work late but shoe would rather sit with him and crawl all over him.She even crawls around to sit on his shoulder and "watch TV".She gets on him and will crawl around and sit on his shoulder looking toward the TV and will sit there for a long time.She will also play hide from Daddy,she will crawl around behind hid shoulder and wait until he gets her and puts her back on his shoulder and then "grin sheepishly" make sure he is not looking and take off to hide again. this is a nightly thing with them,then she snuggles at his neck and goes to sleep.I can't list everything she does or I would be here all day typing.My male is mine,he does the same with me,he also glass dances and runs all over his cage,black beards head bobs etc. Right now he is brumating though.

jodyberry

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the replies!!

Yes, originally I wasn't too interested in them (my wife started with them), but then I started feeding them, making cages, making custom mealworm containers, setting up webcams so she can watch them when she wants, etc. I guess I AM getting into them in my own way!

I still have a few handling questions though;

1. Do they like to be "pet"? I rub their rough backs, but don't know if they like it. I also rub down their neck which they seem to like.

2. We take them out a few times a day to run around while we keep an eye on them. Since they're away from their heated viv, is there a time limit before I put them back in? (I can usually feel their stomachs getting cold - then I'll put them back).

3. People on this forum have said they keep them on their chests or shoulders for hours at a time. If we do that, do we also need to be aware of their body temp, or am I worrying too much?

Thanks all...

BTW, here are our 3 girls:

24b7ptj.jpg

ReptiMama2

Hatchling Member
You have beautiful dragons :) Pictures are always great!

As for your questions I can answer for myself at least,

1. Cere and Sedona have never given any indication that they don't like being petted, no stress marks, no puffing of the beard etc... and I enjoy petting them so I continue to do it :) I usually pet them on the head, between the eyes, down the back, and under the chin.

2. We usually take our girls out in the evening when everyone is home from work, except on weekends then during the day, and they stay out for at least an hour. I keep an eye on their belly temp. like you do and when they feel cool I'll put them up.

3. I think if you have them in close contact with your body they can get some heat from you so they won't cool as fast or as much. When we drove from our place in Savannah the four hours to my parent's house we had Cerce out of her viv (no Sedona at that time). We wrapped her in a blanket and I also told my son he could put her under his shirt to keep her warm. And then we also ran the heater :) to keep her warm. This was rough when we were sitting in traffic and it was HOT outside too :( but anything for the critters!

I'm no expert but I hope this helps!

jodyberry

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
THANKS! That does help!

This is the strangest way I've seen a beardie sleep. But she seems to like it!!

2rmpnc9.jpg

Seiryu

Hatchling Member
Everyone has their own way of appreciating their pets. You building the enclosures is just one of those ways to enjoy it!

As far as petting goes, I am not a beardy expert on that. But I do own some tortoises that LOVE to have their chins scratched and will extend their neck out as far as possible for you! So if they like that, why can't some beardies like a good rub too? :p

BigD16

Juvie Member
The only thing I can tell you is. Give it time. Those little dragons will grow on you. Trust me. They all have such different and unique personality and you will see with time, if they are handled and your wife allows them, they can be out of the cage and exploring and doing funny things. Just give it time, They're going to grow on you. Trust me.

NavyxWife

Hatchling Member
Just bond with them like you've been doing. They really are amazing creatures, and very intelligent. Of course they're not like dogs where they can almost tell you what they want (i.e. to go to the bathroom, eat, ect.) but beardies do have their own little ways. Mine, for example, runs up & down the front of his tank when he's hungry and I haven't gotten to feeding him yet. He also loves to have his chin rubbed but not his head or back, but each beardie is different and like different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom