is she gravid and ready to lay ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoemay

i recently bought an approximately 8 month old red flame female beardie, i am unsure as to weather she was previously with a male but she is exceptionally rounded in my opinion although i can see any apperance of eggs in her stomach...... she has still been eating small amounts of veg but no live food and now today she has started to get very frantic around her viv and has now started digging in various corners :?

she does live with a 7 month old male beardie and although they have been doing all the mating business there has been no deffinate mating occured and they havnt been together long enough for her to be gravid by him...

can someone advice me as to weather she could be gravid and weather this behaviour is normal or she likely to want to lay now ??

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I'm new to this egg laying stuff myself, but I think you should get her a lay box and put her in it and see what happens.

zoemay

Original Poster
Well I have placed a tray full of sand into her viv and 3days later she is still running round frantically and digging all over the place........ Although now it is much more obvious that there ARE eggs inside her belly :eek:

zoemay

Original Poster
hmmmm :? still no eggs !! i've now just placed a pile full of sand into the corner of her viv. should i be getting worrid now as its nearly been 4 days since she started digging and now she doesnt seem as eger anymore although she feels and looks full :roll:

zoemay

Original Poster
okay i take back the qoute that she was seeming less egar as she has now started running around again and dancing in the glass and digging (but not in the pile of sand) :?:

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I used a rubbermaid tote, one of the big ones and filled it almost half way with sand and soil mixed together, then moistened and patted down really good so when she made a tunnel it wouldn't collapse on her. Maybe your girl would like something like that. Apparantley they really like to dig!!!

zoemay

Original Poster
kcarello":3ldibgdr said:
I used a rubbermaid tote, one of the big ones and filled it almost half way with sand and soil mixed together, then moistened and patted down really good so when she made a tunnel it wouldn't collapse on her. Maybe your girl would like something like that. Apparantley they really like to dig!!!

thanks for the reply, ive bought her a sand/soil mix and placed it all into one corner of her viv and even before i had chance to pat it all down she had started digging and so far hasnt stopped and has began to make a tunnel so i think its what she's been waiting for :D im going to leave her heat bulb on for tonight to keep her nice and warm and hopefully i should have some eggs by the morning :lol:

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Isn't it fun!!! Glad she is happy and digging! They are so cute when they do that. Let us know if you have eggs in the morning. :blob5:

zoemay

Original Poster
its partly fun but also quite stressful for me as i really wasnt expecting her to be gravid...... only had her about 2 weeks, but she is certainally fun to watch and a real character along with my male :D will have to try and post some pictures on here soon .........

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Would love to see pics of your babies!! So you don't really know if the eggs will be fertile or not??
Wow,,you have alot more to be stressed about than I do...at least I know if Puff does lay eggs they won't be fertile.

zoemay

Original Poster
well........................ this morning i woke to find a much skinner girl of mineand lots of sand/soil kicked all over her vivarium. gave her a bath as she was looking very tired and covered in mud, she then eat a load of veg as she must of been very hungry.

after a good hour or so ! i finally found a nice pile of eggs, roughly around 15 with about 12 of them being FERTILE !!!! which answers my question as to whether she has previously been with a male before i had her. :D

now i just have to gather up all the equipment i will need to make a incubator. if anyone can advise me on what i will need then please reply :)

zoemay

Original Poster
kcarello":2uonr7op said:
http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=166108#p1337143 This looks like it will explain what to do now!! Good luck!! Oh how fun!!!

thanks for the link, ive had a good read through although i dont have an incubator so im having to make one at home :) luckily i work in a pet shop so im able to get most of the equipment needed quite easily.

one question i was hoping someone could answer for me is whether the eggs will be okay to be left buried in the viv until tomorrow ?

zoemay

Original Poster
thanks for the reply anyway :) i set up and placed all the eggs into the incubator this morning (before rushing to work) lol and all together there were 17 eggs 3 of which were infertile so i have 14 eggs in the incubator :D

its now just a waiting game i guess and hoping that il have some little patters of baby beardies in about 10-12 weeks :p

will hopefully try and get some pictures up of mum and her mate (not the father to these eggs) later tonight :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom