I'm new lots of Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
Hello everyone I'm planning on getting a few Bearded Dragons sometime this year.
My names Justin I live in Long Beach, Southern California and have 2 Veiled chameleons I have their rhythm down, feeding, temperature, humidity, misting ect. and already breeding crickets for them.

I was wondering...
Could you have a male and females in the same cage when they are young?
What age should I separate them?
What age is healthy for them to start breeding?
What cages size will be good for 2 females full grown?
How much and often should i feed them crickets?
What should I dust the crickets with and dusting schedule?(calcium no d3, calcium with d3, multi vitamins)
What are some good veggies and fruits?
How do they get water?(water dish, spray bottle, from the veggies, baths)
Is Lighting like a chameleon UVB light and ceramic heat lamp?
What should the Basking area temperature be?
What type or color night heat lamp do I need and temperature?(my house gets about 65 degrees in the winter)
What should the humidity be?

So if anyone can answer those questions for me that would be awesome! Thank you.

Cocky

Hatchling Member
ju5t1n":399egt2k said:
Hello everyone I'm planning on getting a few Bearded Dragons sometime this year.
My names Justin I live in Long Beach, Southern California and have 2 Veiled chameleons I have their rhythm down, feeding, temperature, humidity, misting ect. and already breeding crickets for them.

I was wondering...
Could you have a male and females in the same cage when they are young? Maybe up to 4 months old (if raised together).
What age should I separate them? after 4 months.
What age is healthy for them to start breeding? after about 18 months
What cages size will be good for 2 females full grown? If they are fine with each other then at least a 4ft ideally a 5ft
How much and often should i feed them crickets? Daily, twice for up to 6 months then once a day, as many as they can eat in 15mins at each sitting
What should I dust the crickets with and dusting schedule?(calcium no d3, calcium with d3, multi vitamins) Calcium dust
What are some good veggies and fruits? Butternut squash, collard green/spring greens, for more info see beautifuldragons.org
How do they get water?(water dish, spray bottle, from the veggies, baths) From their food and veggies, may drink from water bowl at an older age
Is Lighting like a chameleon UVB light and ceramic heat lamp? UVB strip lamp ideally a Reptisun 10.0 and a heat lamp for basking
What should the Basking area temperature be? around the 105f mark
What type or color night heat lamp do I need and temperature?(my house gets about 65 degrees in the winter)I turn off all my lights at night to allow for a restful sleep, 65 degrees should be fine at night
What should the humidity be? Not sure about this one but low.

So if anyone can answer those questions for me that would be awesome! Thank you.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You also need to dust only 1 meal/day for the babies and only 3x/week for Adults (over 1 year old). The veggie-to-worm % is as babies 80% bugs, 20% veggies/salad, by adulthood it's supposed to be the opposite, so I've made sure our beardies don't get more than 10 bugs/day as adults, not babies. Babies can be fed up to 5x/day & salad always on offer. It just depends on if you're available all day. They grow better, faster and healthier if they really well fed as babies. That only lasts until they're 3-4 mo old, then they become juvies and eat alot during that time, until they're about a year old, then they're considered adults. They can still grow alot during their 2nd year, then they usually have their full growth and just eat to maintain. It's good to make sure your beardies are getting lots of exercise. We've beardie proofed our living room, it also has a ramp make of cement blocks that are held in place, with a large top covered with a soft towel and a Power Sun 160, so they can bask & still get UVB. They all take turns and enjoy running around when they've warmed up and got some energy. My husband is retired, so he takes care of that in the afternoon, after I've left for my job. I do the baths in the morning & 3 out of 5 beardies poop in their baths. Beardie world is full of beardie slave chores :mrgreen:

Welcome; there are alot of people to help you with your beardie, any question you have will find answers on this site. So have fun. Have you chosen a beardie yet?

As far as housing, even 4 mo can be a bit much and I wouldn't keep any females together. They will eventually fight for dominance of their space. Better to get a big, long tank, at least 120 gallons & put a divider in the middle. They both have to have their UVB lights, basking lights, and things to climb up on & a basking spot. It's just better that way. And don't ever leave and female and male together, he'll breed her to death eventually.

I've always found it's better that they be solitary in their tanks, if you feel they'd be ok outside of their tank, make sure you're there. We tried to have 2 of our males out, within a few minutes one of them had a bite on the other's beard. It wasn't hard to separate them, but made us realize that solitary is best.

Hope this helps,
Deb

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
Hello and Welcome! About 99% of the people on this forum will tell you that housing two beardies together is not a good idea.. They are solitary creatures and how they love human interaction they really don't get along with other beardies..Although at first they may appear to get along things can change very quickly and can become dangerous.. They will bite toes and tails off and can cause a good bit of harm to the other... One usually always becomes dominate and will eat all the food, causing the other to be under nourished.. There's just a lot of risk with housing them together.. A risk I'm not willing to take although some people are succesful at doing so.. As far as hydrating them.. they do get their water from veggies but also by giving baths.. You can give baths every few days.. When they are shedding maybe every other day.. Avoid misting in the tank b/c that can raise humidity levels... Usually anything under about 40 is safe.. If u can keep it around or under 30 you're doing great.. Hope this helps :lol:

ju5t1n

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wow thank you everyone! =]
That website didn't work but google found it for me lol http://www.beautifuldragons.com/ lots of helpful things their!
The cages I plan on building a Wood walled/framed cage with glass or acrylic sliding doors in the front with a metal screened top and air intake & exhaust holes on the sides. The background and cage accessories branches, fake plants, rocks, hides. Substrait I wanted to use sand but I know its bad for them. wouldn't want the sand to play tetris in his/her little stomach lol
The Dragon I'm looking to get is a red,orange leather back. I don't know the exact name I saw it at a reptile store just know its a leather back with some color and patterns =] Can someone help me with the name please and if anyone has some websites that can sell and ship them too.
Think I'm gunna get a 1 male and 1 female and 2 cages.
I have 2 Veiled chameleons in separate cages and their awesome and I love them but easily stressed and don't really like to be handled then I saw people with Bearded Dragons and I think I'm hooked they seem so chill lol.

Right now I'm just doing as much research as I can before I make my decision to get some beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemommma
Top Bottom