I'm in way over my head...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I'm new here so please pardon me if I'm rehashing anything already covered multiple times, I did a search and found one thread which didn't have a lot of information. This is going to be a little long

So, the background is that a friend of mine moved in with me a few months back and brought his three bearded dragons (One male and two females) he was hoping to mate. During his two months with me he was unable to get any of them to mate, and after spending two months searching for jobs he finally got one in another city about 150 miles away. He was able to arrange himself lodging within his budget, but the landlord would not permit the dragons thus they have somehow ended up becoming long term residents at my place (much to my annoyance). I was not planning on letting them mate in my care.

A few weeks after he moved out, knowing they hadn't displayed any interest in mating, I let all three lizards run free through the house for a few minutes while I cleaned the cages. As I was cleaning I heard a comotion, got up, looked around the corner, and found the male copulating with one of the females. I did not want them to mate, but found myself in a situation where the only choice I saw was to let it happen or risk hurting them when I pried them apart. I told my friend what happened and that I wanted to discard the eggs but he won't permit it, and paid me to purchase a Hovabator for them.

As far as I've read the pregnancy(?) was pretty much textbook. After about a week she started eating like crazy, then after another two weeks or so she stopped eating (almost overnight) and became very restless, trying to get out of her cage, then back in, then out. I put together a lay box with materials I had lying around, potting soil and a clear plastic bin, and put her in it every day before I left for work at 1pm (I work a 2p-10p shift). Every time I put her in it she just tried to get out, so I finally bought a solid-sided bin, transfered the potting soil into it, and dampened it again. Next day, two days ago, around 11am I put her into it for the first time and she immediately began digging all the way to the bottom, half an hour later she had reached the bottom and stopped digging altogether, so I checked the bin and sure enough she had backed into the hole and was wiggling her hips. I left her alone and came back an hour later around 12:40; she had 12 large, white eggs out and was still wiggling, it was too late to lay off sick so I left her to her own devices and went to work. As information, my understanding is this is the first clutch she has ever produced.

That night when I got home around 10:30 I found her passed out in the corner of the bin looking mighty skinny. There was no sign of the hole; the ground was completely flat. She was so tired, when I picked her up she hung in my hand like a rag doll. I gave her a bath during which she drank a LOT, fed her two Super Worms (her favorite) and tucked her into her cage, then went to work recovering the eggs. About halfway down I found the first egg, a very healthy looking one, but it was brown. I put it into the Vermiculite and proceeded to dig almost to the bottom. I finally found the rest there. As I extracted them they were all brown, and about half were caved in. Altogether I found fourteen eggs, six were obviously bad (but I've put them together into one tub to see what happens), and eight appeared to be healthy, but brown and slightly soft.

Here comes my major mistakes; First, I did not know to keep them in the same orientation, and I wasn't aware they had to be placed in a specific orientation in the Vermiculite. After I'd done my regular household things I went online, played around on Facebook for a bit, then began looking up egg care and discovered my mistake. At 2AM-ish, 2-3 hours after I'd initially began setting them in the vermiculite I found myself madly trying to find out which side was supposed to be up and reorienting them. I think I managed to find it for most of them, but I'm concerned what damage I may have done in those 2-3 hours they were improperly oriented.

Now second, when I first got the incubator I plugged it in for a few hours to set the temperature, then unplugged it and put it away until it was needed. The day she laid I had not been prepared for the eggs to come out, I was expecting her to dig for a few days thus I was planning on taking her out before I went to work and setting up the incubator when I got home if she had displayed an interest so I could make any adjustments necessary. When she began laying I quickly set it up and plugged it back in. That night when I got home to recover the eggs the humidity was at a perfect 85%, but the temperature was 92 degrees! I quickly turned the thermostat down and opened the lid to cool it down before I put the eggs in. I managed to get it down to 80 degrees, but I've had a very hard time for the last two days getting it higher, I finally think I finally got it up to around 82-83 today (though I have not yet purchased a digital thermometer, that will come with funds, I'm using three analog ones including the one which came with the Hovabator and ones my friend brought with the dragons). Presently the humidity is around 75% and temperature is around 82-83 degrees depending on the thermometer you look at.

Here goes. First off, the eggs are brown and dirty, I'm hoping that this is just staining from the potting soil, and not a sign that they are not viable. They are also long, I've seen pictures which show long eggs hatching, but I've also read that this is a sign of infertility. Now, only two days in, I noticed some of the eggs (particularly the ones in the "non-viable" tub) seemed to be sweating. Upon taking them out I realized that this is not water, but a white film. I'm wondering if this white film is mold. Additionally, almost immediately upon putting them in I began noticing a "musty" smell coming from the incubator. I'm assuming that this is coming from the "collapsed" eggs and am considering getting rid of the worst of them, but I want to wait for them to obviously die before I give up on them altogether. Only one of the eggs in that bin is not "sweating" and it appears to be almost healthy, but has a very loose shell. I did discard one egg which was pretty much pancake flat.

So, finally, the questions.

*When she laid the eggs they appeared to be white, but had turned a dirty brown by the time I recovered them. They were in the potting soil for 10-12 hours before I recovered them, could the wet soil have stained them? Or is it likely that they are all bad?

*Could 10-12 hours in the potting soil have killed them, especially since she laid them against the bottom corner of the lay box, where they'd be more suceptible to the cooler temperatures of my house?

*What is the white film? One person suggested in another thread that this meant the eggs were struggling to survive, however if the nonviable eggs also have it then I'm not hopeful that this is the case.

*I added water to the bottom this morning, but cannot get the humidity above 75%. Is 75% ok, or should I try harder?

*I candled the eggs today, about 48 hours after they were laid, and all were yellow with one possible exception. Has it been long enough that I can consider them dead, or how long until I should try candling again before writing them off?

Thanks for reading this, sorry I had to give my life's story but I wanted to let you know just how off-guard this has caught me, and how deeply I am in over my head.

(Is there a way to attach images, if not, what to other members do so I can share some pictures of the egg laying and the eggs themselves as they are now?)

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Yikes that's quite the story! Welcome aboard though, you've definitely come to the right place :)

First of all, here's the link on how to post pictures- viewtopic.php?f=30&t=167225

And I don't know much about eggs, unfortunately, (sorry :() but I do know that if you're already sure some aren't going to hatch, you can put them in the freezer just to be super extra sure that they won't hatch in a dumpster somewhere. (Most breeders do this too I believe. It's not considered inhumane in the bearded dragon world or anything).

And this post should bump ya, so hopefully someone with more knowledge should come along. Good luck!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there...pics will help, but yes, they could be stained from the soil. As for being unsure as to the position they were layed in, it doesn't matter at all if just a few hours has passed, even a day. So the position is fine, also the temps. are fine anywhere between 80 - 87. Anything above may be harmful, but if they drop below they can still hatch . And you want to be sure the female is fed as much as she wants for the next couple of weeks, with a little extra calcium added.

OnTheGround

Original Poster
Alright, bump and update...

This morning I discovered that the white fungus spread to five of the eight "good" eggs. Upon realizing it was spreading I removed the three remaining untouched eggs and placed them into a separate, sanitized container where they seem to be doing excellently still. The brown color is fading, some patches of white are now on two of the eggs and I believe those two are growing. For the five infected eggs I sanitized a second container and sprayed some Tinactin into the bottom before placing fresh Vermiculite into it and dampening that with boiled water, then I placed the infected eggs on top. Although at least a few are showing signs of growing I'm losing hope for the five, one may be collapsing (I'll check again when I wake up). Any other ideas on clearing a fungal infection on eggs or is it too late once it takes hold?

As for the six "bad" eggs which I was still trying to incubate, when I checked them most of them had also caught the fungal infection, there were flies in the container (and the incubator) and maggots/worms on one of the eggs, which was pancaked into the vermiculite. I finally gave up on the whole container, froze the eggs, and discarded the vermiculite. I'm hoping to remove the flies, but it's a difficult prospect without taking the eggs out, turning off the incubator, sanitizing the inside, and starting everything anew. Best I figured I could do was I had a rotten banana which I placed into the vermiculite which the "Good" eggs had been in before. I then added several wads of duct tape on top and duct taped it shut with just a moderately sized hole on top. The hope is that the flies will flock to the banana to eat and lay their eggs, and after 24 hours I'll remove it and hopefully remove the majority of the problem with it. I've also sealed the incubator with duct tape to prevent any other flies from coming in.

I'm already planning for the likely second clutch coming in a few weeks. I'm not doing anything until after Christmas has passed, but I plan to replace the potting soil in the Lay box with all Vermiculite, and I will be disinfecting the containers and boiling the water used to dampen everything before setting the eggs. I'll also only have Mama in the lay box when I'm planning to be present long enough for her to lay. That last one may be a little hard to do since I work 2p-10p five days a week, so it'll be a tough judgement call whether or not to let her lay when the time comes.

Mama is eating, but nearly as tenaciously as I was expecting her to. Yes, she's getting a lot of added Calcium.

jackiesmama

Juvie Member
be expecting a second and possibly a third clutch. my girl had her 1st clutch at sept 14th then her second on nov1 st thank god she didnt have a third

OnTheGround

Original Poster
jackiesmama":2k9q7rkx said:
be expecting a second and possibly a third clutch. my girl had her 1st clutch at sept 14th then her second on nov1 st thank god she didnt have a third

She's definitely working on clutch #2, and wasting no time! I figure I'm looking at only 4-5 weeks between the two, she's begun eating anything she can get her teeth around and swallow, I think I started feeling the impressions of some small eggs on Christmas and she's begun cradling her abdomen in a depression on the side of her basking rock like she did throughout her "pregnancy" with the first clutch. The last two weeks since she laid I've been feeding her dusted pinkies (One a week) and Waxworms to try and get some more fat and calcium into her system in addition to her normal diet of crickets, superworms, and Kale. Can't find phoenixworms locally, otherwise I'd use those. She's also in shed right now so she looks really ratty.

I'm down to only two eggs, the rest fell victim to the white fungus which began growing on them. The two which are still thriving were removed from the container before the fungus got to them, the other four which had already been infected to some degree before I took action slowly began to deflate and turn black one at a time. It's unfortunate, but I think I learned to be a lot more sanitary with the next clutch.

OnTheGround

Original Poster
No updates to give at this time, everything's the same as it was in my last post. I'll let you know if anything does happen.

OnTheGround

Original Poster
Well, here's an update and a question...

Mama: It turns out I haven't, and still can't feel any additional eggs (it's now been a month since she laid the first clutch) and her eating has slowed down as she's fattened out again, so I'm not sure when/if a second clutch is coming which is disappointing since I want to see if I can do better the second time around, and my friend and I are talking about him taking them back or selling them at the end of the month (and I'm not about to buy them, can't afford $1200 in dragons right now, and my work schedule's getting crazy... More on that in another forum.) I am curious about the lack of second clutch. She just finished shedding on Wednesday or Thursday (she began while she was gravid), and the other two mature dragons have both gone into brumation. Would a shed possibly cause a dragon to delay a clutch? What about brumation, would a clutch prevent her from brumating, or would brumation prevent her from developing a clutch? Any thoughts?

The Eggs: I think I mentioned it above, but if not after the fungus invaded my eggs I only have two eggs left which have been growing and have seemed perfectly healthy to me. They are at, I believe, 32 days (Laid December 13th). The incubator was maintaining a relatively smooth 83-degree/75% balance which I thought was perfect. Now, the humidity started dropping last week to two weeks ago, so when it began reaching around 65% I added some water to the bottom of the incubator and a small amount to the vermiculite in their container. Almost immediately the conditions in the incubator went crazy, the termperatures rising to over 90-degrees, and the humidity to about 87%. Both the lid to the container and the incubator fogged up so I removed all the plugs in the top of the incubator and vented some of the warm air and humidity out. It took about 8 hours to restabilize the termperatures. This week temperatures have been very low and the overnight temperatures have been dropping from their 83-degree daytime temperatures to about 80-degrees (The house drops into the 50s, except in my room where I run the heater for the dragons and it maintains about 70-80 degrees). I haven't been too concerned about it since I figure they get some temperature variance in the wild and 3-degrees isn't very much, however about five days ago I noticed one of the eggs was sweating. I see no reason for it; the other egg is not sweating, there is no condensation anywhere, the temperatures haven't been extreme, and we should be nowhere near hatch date. After a few days I took the container out, lightly dabbed the water beads off with a napkin, and candled both eggs while I had them out. They both have veins, and embryos which are only taking up about 1/3 of the egg, and do not look developed enough to hatch. I placed them back into the incubator two days ago, then peeked in on them again tonight through the window. I could swear the one which is still sweating is looking smaller than before, but it moved when I shined the light on it so it's still alive. Any opinions on whether I should be concerned about this? Thoughts or remedies?

jackiesmama

Juvie Member
i had the same concerns and i had texted 2 breeders and they said that if they didnt die the first 2 weeks they should be fine . also if the dont look indented .

OnTheGround

Original Poster
Well, the egg which began sweating 10 days ago now has started to deflate (slightly). It's barely noticeable. It's also smaller and yellowish compared to the egg next to it (It's also got a lot more moisture on it), however I believe I saw embryos in both eggs when I candled them 10 days ago. Since they're 39 days old and I've heard of eggs hatching at 45 days it's not impossible that it's trying to hatch, maybe slightly premature. I'm keeping my eye on it.

Mom's displaying signs of going into brumation now, hiding under her log a lot more and not being as social. She's still eating, but that's slowed down a bit too.

jackiesmama

Juvie Member
my babies 1st clutch took 81 days , right now we have here 2nd clutch in the incubator and its going on day 82 :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemommma
Top Bottom