I was serious about Ginger eat a LOT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragginfly

OK, so far either I am the only one to admit this or it just doesn't happen to anyone else but us. The numbers I've seen concerning how much everyone else's beardie eats is so low compared to us. I've mentioned in other posts that my beardie likes to eat a lot. She is now around 6 months old. Since we got her in December she has amazed us by eating like a pig. All of the following is counting her greens, squash, etc. which she eats willingly. She has eaten up to:
125 Large Phoenix worms in a day, and she did not stop herself, we stopped her. We saw that she was not digesting all of them after a few days of this and decided that we had to mix them in with greens in order for her to not just swallow them all whole. She still does a rush job in eating them. Anyway, she would likely eat more...granted they are on the smaller side of feeders.
OR
200 small crickets (under 1/4") from Petsmart - Yes I know they make bigger ones, but their large's are too big (edited I wrote small here) small and when Petsmart is the only place with live feeders, and we're waiting on a shipment, this is what she gets.
OR
A combo of 75 or so Large Phoenix and 120 or so of the small crickets.
OR
150 or so small nymph Dubia's. or combo of these with Phoenix Worms.
And she poops well, daily, without whole bugs in it (with the exception of the occasional Phoenix worm).
Am I the only one who has a beardie who eats this much??? I am about to move her up to a medium sized Dubia/cricket. Maybe that will make it "feel" like it's less.
I can honestly say that she has stopped eating on her own (moved away from the food) only a handful of times when it's anything live.BTW I'll give her all she wants, and not complain...I'm just curious. I wonder if they are like dogs/cats and can have a worm eating up all of her food. But although her poop stinks, everything I see here (and everytime I have asked) everyone says that they're just piggies. Her vet visit got rescheduled to this week.
Thanks
Draggin'Fly aka Elyssa

dragginfly

Original Poster
Oh here's a couple of pics...
Ginger in the shower, being a "pancake" getting warm on her rock.
IMG_0427.jpg

And here she is the other day. It's her first spring, her first trip in the grass (all 4 of us were surrounding her, overprotectively). She thought the grass was like a huge salad...oops. We brought some real greens out for her after that.
outside4.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is a lot of food, but she doesn't look overweight in the slightest to me.

I am glad you are going to have a fecal done since your noticing smelly poo. Hopefully it comes back clean though.

Ginger eats more than even Thor (beardednoob's dragon) when he was a little guy!

-Brandon

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
You're not doing anything wrong. And I agree with other poster that she doesn't look obese in the slightest. I would just give her as much as she wants for now since she is still growing. I do that will all my reptiles. I can tell she is going to be huge when she becomes an adult by the way the she eats.

dragginfly

Original Poster
Oh I can't wait until she gets huge!!! :blob5:
So my first beardie is a piggy. Oh well, I'm blessed to have an eater.
D'F

dragginfly

Original Poster
Correction 238g after relieving herself on my lap and a meal. 15" around 6 months old. Sound about right?

Menolly07

Juvie Member
Our Odahviing, at nearly four months and 12.25" 120 grams, finished 1000 large Phoenix Worms in two weeks. Also, we JUST got 100 butterworms on the fifth... They're gone. She's already a regular collard green eater. She's in a state of perpetual shed... So I TOTALLY get the eating a lot thing. I have, on order, 1/2 inch crickets, more wax worms, silkworms and some more butterworms. She eats hornworms sometimes, when I order them. She just packs it away! I was SHOCKED because she eats like a boy lizard!!! I'm actually kind of glad to read about your Ginger. Seems our girls have similar appetites. I'm also very glad to read about the Phoenix Worms thing. I noted the lack of digestion thing as well and found that splitting the PWs with butterworms between made her slow down and chew. Her poops got MASSIVE because she wasn't digesting. Now they're back to normal.

Yes.. Bearded dragons. All about the poops.

Ginger is so pretty! <3

dragginfly

Original Poster
Thanks for the compliment. She's a Petsmart baby and I'm really waiting to see what colors come out in her...either way she is just so sweet!
And on a very technical and scientific level, we suspect that she is a he...but I am in total denial of this. Either way, Ginger eats a ton and I'm with you on the having to keep making orders for food! I thought I was the only one!
D'Fly

Menolly07

Juvie Member
Ours is a PetSmart baby too! Surprise! lizard. She has glorious colouring. So you think Ginger might be a boy? We thought Odahviing was a boy, PetSmart did tell us so. Be in denial as long as you like. It will only matter if you get a sexually mature girl lizard. :-3

Holo

Dax is my guy. He is 15.5" long at 4 months and 1 week old. He gets fed 3 times a day each time its 40 phoenix worms. He has collard greens and butternut squash available all day. So thats 120 worms per day, and it would be more if i put more in. Granted he is a male, he is a bit large for his age so his appetite matches.

Cheers to those of us with bearded piggies. Costs more to feed him than both my dogs haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom