I have a sick beardie and need some further help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wells05

I took my son's beardie (Speedy) to the vet yesterday beacuse he/she hadn't eaten in a few days and had become very lethargic. I took in a fecal, and Speedy has worms of some sort (vet told me exact name - sorry I can't remember:(. Speedy is 14 inches and only weighs 80 grams right now. The Vet gave me Fenbendaz drops to give Speedy for the next five days (then off two weeks and 5 more days) and a syringe of food/vitamins. Speedy took a turn for the worst today and is extremely lethargic - has not reaction to contact (almost limp) and has moved maybe once today. Eyes have been mostly closed, but they do open occationally. I was able to get the medicine and food/vitamin down this am. I just tried giving Speedy some squash baby food. Didn't want to swallow, finally seemed to swallow, now seems to be slowly throwing it up. I don't think things are looking good. I tried putting speedy in a warm bath, and he/she could even keep his/her head up in very shallow water. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We bought Speedy off of craigslist about a month ago and I though he/she was a little on the thin side. I really didn't worry much about it as Speedy was eating and very active. The previous owners thought he/she was around 8 months, but weren't exactly sure. They had Speedy in a 40 gal breeder, alphalpha pellets substrate, a 100 watt Powersun, and fed crickets and Romaine. We switched to tile, a 24" Reptisun, and 75 watt uva incadescent basking light. I use the digital Accutemp with probe and his basking spot is usually between 100 and 108 degrees, and secondary spot is 95-98 degrees. Cool side is usually right around 80 degrees. I switched to collard and mustard greens for the veggies, and Speedy wasn't very interested in the greens. He/she would eat a few pieces some days, none on others. Speedy would eat up to 10 crickets a day. I dusted with D3 4-5 times a week, multi vitimin 2 times a week. Speedy got a bath at least three times a week.

fez09

Extreme Poster
I'm sorry to hear that Speedy isn't feeling well...I'm no expert but I had herp vet say that inreasing the temp by a few degrees can help when reptiles are sick. I'm sure someone who has more experience will give you better advice, but it's worth warming him up a little bit...(I mean the ambient temp, not just basking) I wish you the best, keep us posted.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I wouldn't try to feed anymore for right now. I'm going to try to get someone who can help you more to come look at the thread.

wells05

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I haven't tried feeding anything since the baby food. Speedy is just lying on a rock with eyes closed and mouth open. Occasionally there is a bit of the baby food dripping out of Speedy's mouth. I now really wish I didn't feed him/her the baby food. I'm extremely worried right now.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh poor baby, he is not doing well.
Overall, your setup looks good. So I highly doubt it is anything you have done. Do you happen to have any idea exactly how much of the Panacur was given, dosage wise? What is the concentration of the Panacur, it should say on the bottle/tube. Please let me know. Normally, it doesn't cause a problem like that, but, if he was in a dehydrated state, then it is possible that it could have bothered him in that manner! Usually Panacur is only given once a week, for up to 2-3 treatments depending on the counts. I think that he was most likely overdosed on the Panacur. So I would not give him anymore of that right now, his body cannot handle that.
Can you get any oral fluids into him at all, such as diluted pedialyte? His system needs to be flushed out of the Panacur.
Did the vet say what his counts were on the fecal?

Tracie

wells05

Original Poster
As far as counts, I don't believe that he mentioned anything about a count, just stated they were present.
Here is what the bottle says:
Fenbendaz 100mg/ml x cc, #:3
Give 0.3 cc (1-2 drops) by mouth once daily for five days. stop. repeat in two weeks.

I believe that the vet gave Speedy four drops yesterday and I gave him two today.

Am going to get pedialyte right now.

Thanks so much for your help.

wells05

Original Poster
My wife just headed to Walgreens to get it because we know they have the clear no sugar type. Speedy did just perk up and open his eyes for a second, crawled off the rock to the floor of the viv, popped his head up to look at me, then laid right back down with open mouth and closed eyes.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am very sorry for your loss, how devastating that is for you. :cry: Just to check, did you mean to write .03ml of the Panacur? Just checking. I cannot guarantee that is what did him in, but, if his levels were not high & he did not need to be treated, then it could have really messed him up. It seems to have happened rather quickly.
Let us know if you need anything. I am truly sorry for your loss of Speedy.

Tracie

wells05

Original Poster
The bottle says "Give 0.3 cc (1-2 drops) by mouth...." It's basically just a small glass bottle with a medicine dropper (like the one in baby tylenol). Maybe it was a misprint on the sticker the vet printed and stuck to it. The vet came recommended, was a past president of the Association of Reptilian and Amphibian Veterinarians, and was a breeder of beardies in the past. I'm pretty sure we just bought a very sick beardie. I do wish I could have done more for Speedy. It was a rough night for us, especially the kids. Even our dog Max knew something was wrong and was very attentive to all of us.

We will be getting another beardie, but will stick to a breader here vs just buying one from a random person.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and concerns, we really do appreciate it.

Mike, Kristy, Brody, Sydney and Max

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I really do think you bought a very sick beardie. 80 grams is very tiny for an 8 month old. At 8 months old, mine was 250 or so. Another member on here has a 2.5 month old who is over 100 grams, but he is more the exception than the rule. When you are ready, check out the forsale section here. Barbara (fresnowitte) and Tom (thewolfmantom) have reasonably priced very well cared for babies for sale right now. I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but you'll need to thoroughly disinfect everything in the tank. I really am sorry for your loss, I know how devastating losing a pet can be, but know that you did everything you could and let the little guy know what it was like to be loved.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brohelphimlol
Top Bottom