Hurricane Irene

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Just had a question... I have 2 dragons, a ball python, and 2 crocodile skinks. Was wondering that if the power went out, what would be your suggestions? High powered flashlights? Handwarmers? I'm out of ideas...

Most of my concern lies with the dragons and python at this point (since croc skinks like room temp)

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Ahh you're in NJ like me ! :)

Ball pythons are really my specialty so I can tell you how to manage them, as they don't require any lighting you just set up heat pads under their warm sided hide (remember to monitor temps though, the pads can still get too hot). Don't put anything under their cool-sided hide.

With the bearded dragon I'm not sure what you'd do, but I'm sure you'll still use warmers to get temps up for them.

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
I'm supposed to get hit too. Definitely worried about the power going out. Not just for my beardie, but for my turtles as well :silent:

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Handwarmers for beardies (put a thin blanket or wash cloth between beardie and warmer to prevent burns). Not sure about the others.

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Hey I was wondering this too! I'm in NY, I really hope nothing to severe happens. But if my school managed to get knocked down, that'd be fine :lol:

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I am on the border between Kentucky and Indiana so totally landlocked, no where close to the ocean and my sophomore year schools around here were closed for over a week because of hurricane damage :shock: .

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the advice guys. Normally I wouldn't care about these things but I just recently moved close to the shoreline (bout 20 min drive from beach) and cities/towns are already being evacuated (ocean city has anyway). Think I'm gonna stock up on hand warmers for now. What heat pads r you talking about exaclty? I'm thinking they use electricity...

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
spurlee01":1jn5shlg said:
I am on the border between Kentucky and Indiana so totally landlocked, no where close to the ocean and my sophomore year schools around here were closed for over a week because of hurricane damage :shock: .
Wow. I'm kidding about my school kinda , but if something happened they'd probably fix it by Sept 6. So when your school was closed did you have to stay longer in the summer?

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
It was like September of 2008. We had already gone back for a couple of weeks (even the universities) then the hurricane knocked out power to the whole city.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
hand warmers are good but I was also told they would be fine a few days without their lights and heat sources (PLEASE tell me if this is nOT true then I will leave some handwarmers for our caretakers)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's actually not ok without heat so I would be sure to leave them some handwarmers and as Sara said, mention wrapping the warmers up in a washcloth rather than using them directly on the beardie.

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
diamc":2u2ujlbt said:
It's actually not ok without heat so I would be sure to leave them some handwarmers and as Sara said, mention wrapping the warmers up in a washcloth rather than using them directly on the beardie.
Like ski glove handwarmers? How hot do they get, I've used them before... to actually warm my hands, but is it enough warmth for a beardie?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, hand and feet warmers. Some of them can heat up to 130 degrees so you need to read the outside of the package and wrap the warmers up according after they are activated. Some will hold the heat 4 hrs, 8 hrs, 20 hrs, 30 hrs.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
GlueStick":2unbkosq said:
Thank you for the advice guys. Normally I wouldn't care about these things but I just recently moved close to the shoreline (bout 20 min drive from beach) and cities/towns are already being evacuated (ocean city has anyway). Think I'm gonna stock up on hand warmers for now. What heat pads r you talking about exaclty? I'm thinking they use electricity...

Hand warmers is what we're talking about :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom