Humidity Low **really getting annoyed here**

Status
Not open for further replies.

MommytoSobe

Hatchling Member
I have one of those Accu-Rite thermometers, and its reading Low humidity. I used to spray Sobe's tank but then stopped because the humidity was too high. Then I moved him upstairs and the humidity dropped from 40% to 30%. I started spraying around the tank a little bit and kept it at 35% for a while. Then it started dropping again. We just moved him into his new homemade viv a couple days ago, its a 4x2x2. Temps at basking stay between 98-100 F, and cool side is 75-80. He seems happy, moves around a lot and glass dances occasionally. Right before we moved him after coming home from vaca the humidity was dropping again and hit Low, my roommate was watching him and she wasn't really doing a great job (didn't clean his tank or anything the entire time, and just sprayed the tank and never changed the water in the water dish). Now I can't get it up no matter what I try. I have a big water dish in there 24/7, nothing. A water dish and a wet hand towel, nothing. I started spraying his tank again, NOTHING. It doesnt even raise a little once I spray... So um yeah... I think my Accu-Rite thermometer is broke... Any thoughts?

Sorry this is so long... :(

----

I bought a new thermometer. It recognized humidity straight off the bat, dropped down to Low within an hour. I sprayed the tank with water and it went up to 49% and instantly started dropping and within 10 minutes it was back to 27%... This is becoming a real pain in the butt for me. I know that within an hour it will drop to Low again... How do I fix this? Am I just gonna have to buy a humidifier??

Tank is made of melamine with acrylic sliding glass doors. Dimensions are 4x2x2. 60 watt bulb, Reptisun 10.0 ... Basking temp is currently 99.0 F. Before I opened and sprayed it had gotten up to 101.4 F.... So yeah...

Advice PLEASE?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Are you getting a humidity reading at all or does it say "low humidity" on your thermometer?
Have you changed the batteries in your AcuRite lately?

mine is saying that too, i think it's just it's way of telling you the batteries are low, im going to pick up some batteries tom and we'll see what happens lol so i'd say try that n if it doesn't wrk then we both r in da same predicament :roll:

MommytoSobe

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Its not giving me a reading at all. I didnt even think of the batteries. I'll try that...

Annnnnd now its giving me readings, changing obviously cause I just put the batteries in, and the lights are off. I'll check it tomorrow. Thanks so much!! :)

MommytoSobe

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
andddddd its still low. I bought brand new AAA's and its still low. Im dumbfounded right now. I raised the temp a few degrees with a heat emitter, so we're up to 104.4 right now, with a full water bowl, and NOTHING. UGHHHH!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
tank4102":62484 said:
20% humidity-25% is fine,more than that and he can get a respritory infection

RIs aren't a concern until at least 45%. In fact, you really want about 30-35%

I am having the same problems. What I have done:
-put a water bowl on the warm side (but Lilly doesn't like it there and moves it)
-run a humidifier 24/7
Doing that I went from a "LO" to 29%. I accidentally left the humidifier off for 4 hours today and it was back to 24%. So it is helping, but I may also have to start putting a wet washcloth on the warm side. That's supposed to help. This really is a giant pain in the butt, I agree.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
I was wondering, what exactly is their humidity supposed to be at? Mine ranges from 25%-35% throughout the day. Is that too low?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
I think you are worrying too much. It's the winter, things dry out a bit around this time. You humidity is just fine.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I think 30-40% is ideal. From what I've heard it's anything below about 25% that causes problems. I may be paranoid, but I have felt better to since we've started to get the humidity in our room under control.

MommytoSobe

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Am I really worrying too much? I mean the humidity is less than 20%, isn't that way too low??

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
I am very confused on where you all get your info from....? Some of it makes just about zero sense. I took the liberty of finding a humidity of Australia (which is where these things come from in case you didnt know) and posted a link for you.

http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/ncc/climate_averages/relative-humidity/index.jsp

If you notice the driest part's average(over the last 30 years) is around 40%. That means the humidity is a bit lower at times and a bit higher at times. A safe range would be +/- 15%

Also, if you notice, most of the continent is about 50% on average.

Just thought some statistical averages would help squash some of the many misconceptions about humidity and bearded dragons that are out there. And there is a lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom