How to keep the humidity down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJeno

Hi everybody. In the past, I was able to keep a small water dish in Leyla's terrarium with her. However, the humidity levels sometimes got up to 60% (I hear it's supposed to be <40%) so I took it out, because that's just not what she's supposed to live in. So the humidity dropped back down to an acceptable level, and that was that. Now, I'm aware of how important it is to keep these guys hydrated, and I don't always have time to give her a bath along with a drink of water every day. I usually wake up, put in a dubia or two, head off to school, get back, give her some more, and head to work. I usually then get home, give her another couple of dubia, and by that time I need to get my own sleep. So I've found it very useful to keep a bowl of water in her terrarium - she seems to acknowledge the presence of water and knows to drink from it. But again, the humidity levels just get so high..so, here's my question:

Is there any way to keep the humidity levels in an acceptable range while keeping a water dish in the terrarium? How do you guys keep them down? Do you keep water dishes in with your Beardies? How high is too high for humidity?

And I guess I could make time to give her water, but this is so much more convenient..plus, she loves it! Look what Leyla's up to:

Thanks for any help in advance.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
She's so cute! :)
A couple things I've heard of to reduce humidity are putting the water dish on the cool side of the viv so it doesn't evaporate as quickly, and/or using a smaller water dish so overall there's less water available that can get into the air.
I also thought I read something about hanging a sock full of dry rice or oatmeal in the viv to help suck water out of the air, but maybe I was just imagining that? I'll look for it in a sec :)

Edit: Found it! This thread has a couple of other ideas as well :) viewtopic.php?f=34&t=168481

Firstly, she is adorable! Beardies don't need an extreme amount of hydration. A bath every third day should be sufficient, and stretching it to four or five is possible (but I wouldn't recommend it myself) Leave the water dish out if her humidity is too high, it's not worth risking a respiratory infection. I'm curious as to her feeding, are the dubias all she gets? She should be eating much more than that. You certainly have a busy schedule, you're doing well :D

TJeno

Original Poster
earthmarktwo":1kexenoj said:
Firstly, she is adorable! Beardies don't need an extreme amount of hydration. A bath every third day should be sufficient, and stretching it to four or five is possible (but I wouldn't recommend it myself) Leave the water dish out if her humidity is too high, it's not worth risking a respiratory infection. I'm curious as to her feeding, are the dubias all she gets? She should be eating much more than that. You certainly have a busy schedule, you're doing well :D

Thanks a lot, I'm loving having her as a pet. :) I'm also getting her greens and occasional fruits, she's starting to get more of a taste for that kind of thing. She's definitely looking healthier than the day I got her, all of her limbs have really filled out and she seems overall happier.

TJeno

Original Poster
snazzyglasses":34t1b6dw said:
She's so cute! :)
A couple things I've heard of to reduce humidity are putting the water dish on the cool side of the viv so it doesn't evaporate as quickly, and/or using a smaller water dish so overall there's less water available that can get into the air.
I also thought I read something about hanging a sock full of dry rice or oatmeal in the viv to help suck water out of the air, but maybe I was just imagining that? I'll look for it in a sec :)

Edit: Found it! This thread has a couple of other ideas as well :) viewtopic.php?f=34&t=168481

Thanks a lot! :)

TJeno":28nm3vik said:
Thanks a lot, I'm loving having her as a pet. :) I'm also getting her greens and occasional fruits, she's starting to get more of a taste for that kind of thing. She's definitely looking healthier than the day I got her, all of her limbs have really filled out and she seems overall happier.

They are fantastic, aren't they :D I don't regret my boy for a second, even if he does eat enough to make me broke. Great to hear she's looking healthier, she'll be growing like a weed before you know it! She started early on her greens, I couldn't get Brox to touch them for months. Good luck with her, you're doing a great job :)

TJeno

Original Poster
Appreciated! :) She grew about 1 1/4" her first month home, and she's sleeping on my shoulder as I type this! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom