How much have you invested???

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Definitely around $3,000 plus.. I don't even want to add it up... But they are well worth it! Not to mention I have 9 :shock:

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
What a hysterical thread. Hubby and I have an ongoing feud about this.

I got these two hermit crabs. We thought we were set becaues we bought everything the dang store said for a total of like 40 bucks or something. Got home. Found out it was all the heck wrong. Went out, and spent over a hundred bucks for the right enclosure and things. They are our hundred dollar hermit crabs and he never lets me forget it.

So then, I got to get Helius right? Had it all down pat. All figured out. And he goes, 'Okay is this going to be like the hermit crabs??? How much this time?' "Oh no, this is different this time. I calculated everything and some things we already have, no worries.' Lol. I decided on a private breeder so 50 bucks jumped to 130. I told him it was an awesome deal because really great private breeders are 200-400 bucks (which is true!). But even with a free tank and some free things with it, it added up. A lot of the things that I got for free weren't right ... like the hermit crabs. LOLOL.

I have no idea how much it added up. I can just tell you month to month it costs up to 85 dollars a month I think. Omg. I had no idea until now it was just that. I was thinking more like 40. PLEASE dont tell the hubby!!!!!!!

Zoo med hood (because the free one was wrong)
Zoo med reptisun bulb (because the free one was wrong)
Basking bulb (because the free one was wrong, but at least the basking fixture was right)
Tank top (cause the free one was ruined)
Log thing for basking
Sand (lost that money cause I had to replace it with carpet)
reptile carpet
Harness
Bearded dragon pellets (mostly for the crickets)
Cricket enclosure
Salad keeper (cool thing that keeps your veggies for weeks)
probe thermometer
stupid little plastic container to dust live food with

(ongoing below)
Calcium and Vitamins
Cricket crap (food, orange cubes, etc)
Crickets (30 bucks a month)
Superworms or wax worms (10-15 bucks a month)
Salad (veggies, etc 30+ bucks a month)
baby food (too little to count)

Krispy

Original Poster
lauraj1055":3alzlt8d said:
Definitely around $3,000 plus.. I don't even want to add it up... But they are well worth it! Not to mention I have 9 :shock:

Wow, I couldn't imagine the maintenance for 9 LOL And I think 1 is alot of work...but they are worth it :)

I am a thirteen year old girl who doesnt work yet sooooo I have cleaned out all of my bank account. My pocket money that I have been earning my whole life is all gone xD
I have had my little girl for around 6 months now, and have spent roughly around $600...I have no money left, so all the food is being paid for by my parents, and they are keeping count until I get a job and pay them back xD lol

It is really expensive, I had no idea. :banghead:
haha, but my gorgeous girl is all worth it :) <3

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
Cocopops248":1pe5yii9 said:
I am a thirteen year old girl who doesnt work yet sooooo I have cleaned out all of my bank account. My pocket money that I have been earning my whole life is all gone xD
I have had my little girl for around 6 months now, and have spent roughly around $600...I have no money left, so all the food is being paid for by my parents, and they are keeping count until I get a job and pay them back xD lol

It is really expensive, I had no idea. :banghead:
haha, but my gorgeous girl is all worth it :) <3

I commend you for your commitment to your Dragon at your age. I inherited our dragon after my son decided he did not like it. Good for you :D

Brieana

Hatchling Member
I haven't gotten my Beardie yet, but I've been accumulating the necessary items and doing my homework so I can nurture my inner cheapskate. Here's a list of what I have so far:

40 Gallon breeder bank with locking lid: $50 on Craigslist
24" UVB tube: $9!! on Amazon.com- it was a one time chance but still amazing
24" Strip light: $9
75 watt heat bulb: $.45
Ceramic dome heat lamp: Free
Digital probe thermometer: $13
Light timer : $5
2 17"x17" ceramic tiles: $4
Caulk to seal tiles: $1.50
Styrofoam for Basking area/hide: Free
5 lb box Non-Sanded Grout: $6
Mod Podge: $5
2 food bowls: Free
Rep-Cal calcium powder: $9
Rep-Cal vitamin powder: $15
I
So far I've spent $127 on the Beardie alone. That doesn't count the Dubia colony I have already.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
To the thirteen year old: Holy cow I would SO reward you by feeding your little one until some day you can do it on your own. You are awesome.

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Dragon: $150 including shipping
Tank + light fixtures: $100 (75gal tank off CL)
UV light + fixture: $20 (wrong UV light w/ tank)
Rocks + drift wood: Free from local lake (+ cost of water/vinegar/bleach to clean)
Supplies from BD.co: $50 but that was birthday money.
Butterworms: $33
So about $350?

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Golly, its so depressing how expensive it is. I'm actually "glad" I didn't know. Because I'm telling you, if I thought it would be over 300 (and with an expensive private bred dragon)? I would have never taken the big step. And I'd not have Heli.

But it's good people know its not just 50 bucks for the dragon, whatever for a reptile kit, and a few bucks a week for salad and crickets to get started so their babies dont get sick and die. So this is a really educational and contructive thread. Thanks for starting it.

sdunfee77

I'm with ynevar, definitely don't want to spill the beans to hubby.

But yes I think the most cost was going through 3 tanks with my first which I learned for the next 5 and bought the large tanks first, or found them on craigslist. (i have 6 beardies and 2 water dragons). Now that I have them all setup, most of the cost now is just food and vet.

My oldest Beardies are now over a year old and thank GOD they eat veggies!! Collards, Turnip & Mustard Greens, Squash, Blueberries etc. I started a Dubia colony but they all eat so fast my breeders can't keep up. Ginger my oldes girl is being a brat and only wants to eat Hornworms which of course its too hot in TX right now to ship them. I wish I could breed them!

The smaller they are the more they eat you out of house and home I swear.

My 2 WD's though won't eat veggies at all (stinkers) so they're on crickets, supers and pinkie mice.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
:shock: :shock: Oh my, really dont want to think about it! I have had my first beardie for 1 years now so I have no idea what all I paid for.

$80 on bugs this week they really didnt need but really like
$50 on a dwarf mulberry tree to try and raise silkworms
about $60 on silkworm kit
about $70 on beardeddragons.co
$5 on silicon
$16 on 3m clips
$8 on plastic containers to make dig boxes
about $30 on greens

I think thats about it this month, but the month isnt over yet! :blob8:

The really sad thing is I should be saving money to buy a used car and save for tuition and books for school. :roll: Oh well! :D

SeanFred

Hatchling Member
Brieana":ved587i2 said:
I haven't gotten my Beardie yet, but I've been accumulating the necessary items and doing my homework so I can nurture my inner cheapskate. Here's a list of what I have so far:

2 18"x18" ceramic tiles: $4
Caulk to seal tiles: $1.50

So far I've spent $127 on the Beardie alone. That doesn't count the Dubia colony I have already.

I would recommend smaller slate tiles or cut them into smaller pieces and save your money on the caulk, you want to be able to remove the tiles for cleaning.

You have a pretty good start to a pretty good plan underway, and you are cultivating the food supply in advance. Very well done.

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
Hm, I'm not sure how much exactly, but luckily I bought everything right the first time. (Thank you TNCbeardies.com!)

Built own enclosure(used for both)- 40$
Beardie #1- 148$
Beardie #2- 180$
Decorations/sticks/cave stuff- 120-150$
Tiles- 8$
Reptisuns- 50$
Light tube fixture- 18$
Basking lights-150
Vet bills for 1st beardie- 97$
Crickets- 30$ per month online x 12
Switched to local buk crix- 15$ per month x 3
Superworms once- $15
Medicine for 1st beardie- 10$
Paper Towels- Don't even know

Total- 1270 estimated, and we've stabled. Only 15 bucks a month now, and new lights biannually. (his greens don't count, we only spend a dollar a week or so) Beardies are pricey at 1st, but once you got everything down, its good.

kmutter27

Honestly, I can't stand to think of the money part of it.
I can say this,
of course the dragon, have bought 2 tanks, 2 cricket cages, small food dish, much larger food dish, spray bottle to spray the water in the bowl when I put it in there (he won't notice anything is in it otherwise), many crickets, and worms (superworms and wax worms as treats), veggies, cricket food, calcium dust, lights, thermometers, 3 different rocks the most expensive one being $25 (just bought today), many reptile carpets because a 20gallon one did not fit a 40 breeder, and a 40/50 gallon carpet did not cover all of the viv so had to buy extra to cut up to fit, Velcro to make sure the carpet doesn't move, 3 different sticks for him to climb (most expensive being around $40), a log for a hideout, of course the bulbs (bought at least 3 because couldn't get the temperature right... house was too cold, then had to buy new ones after so long, light fixtures (3 total), and background paper so he would stop waving his arm because he saw his reflection. Also, blankets, leash (which he hates, bearded dragon pellet food (which he doesn't eat), repticon tickets to buy some stuff for him, superworm container, also random material (cost about $30 to make a bed for him that I made myself)
I think that is it....I bet I left out something haha

wow I don't like to think about that... :banghead:

but I love him. Worth every single penny!
:)

My boyfriend and I have had Stitch for almost a year and he is such a sweetheart. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom