Holding Your Beardie?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I guess you can call me a newbie to the whole Beardie thing, I just got my precious little guy in September. :D

He's a decent size now and he's grown a lot since I first got him. But he doesn't really like to be held. I'm not going to lie, I'm jelous of all the beardie owners that are able to hold their beardies and have them on their shirts and shoulders. Anytime that me or my boyfriend take Gunns (my beardie) out of his home, he tweaks/spazzes out on us. He tries to escape our hands, or tries to get to the floor to book it from us. And right now, we don't really have the right kind of set-up in our house to just let him roam, not to mention, I'm afraid of loosing him. Recently, we've tried taking him out every few to every other night and putting him in a towel, wrapped up to try and soothe him. We hold him and pet his head and it seems to calm him down a ti y bit but he still gets antsy and spazzes on us after 10 mins or so. Oh, and the black beard, he's been famous for giving us that when we hold him. :shock: Not all the time, but enough times.

Is this because he's so young?

When I got him in Septemeber, Petco said he was approx 1 month old. So he'd be roughly 6 months now, if that's true.

Will he calm down when he's older, like the books say? I'm afraid that if I don't try holding him now, he won't EVER let us hold him. :(

Please help!! I just wanna be able to hold him like everyone else can hold theirs!!! lol.

htidavid

Juvie Member
try to interact and spend time with him everyday. Hand feed him some crickets and greens. I've had my beardie for 5 days now, today, while cleaning up his tank. He ran up my arm, licking every so often the whole way up. I've been hand feeding him a lot and petting him / interacting with him every day since the 3rd day I've had him.

My beardie was hatched on Dec 26th, 2012. So he's a little over a month

Demonica1610

Original Poster
That's what I've been trying to do. Good to know that I've been on the right track so far!! :D

The first month that I had mine, he did exactly what you described yours is doing, we were able to hold him and he would licki everything. Now, not so much.... :(

I hope this works and he lets us soon.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
Try putting a shirt that you have worn in the tank with him at night to make him more comfortable with your smell. You should also just set up a little area in the house where he can explore - he may just be a bit bored in his viv. He is also possibly going through "puberty" right now. Taking him out just before or at lights out to handle will usually work better because he is tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom