Hiding a lot. His usual decreased appetitie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Ok. Its gotten to the point to whether or not I should actually worry about Aussie anymore, and I think its because I've gotten so used to it, but figured I'd ask anyway.

Aussie is an almost 4 yr old dragon. His normal daily routine is to sleep and wake in the same spot, pancaked and 'miserable looking', day in and day out, refuse any sort of vegetable I offer, and eat a few insects every now and again (like 2 days a week he'll eat). Occasionally he will move to his basking area, but shortly after he will usually go off and hide for several days after under the rock wall and carpet until I pull him out from the rock wall and the cycle starts all over again. At this point, Ive covered all areas of the carpet with slate rock so that he cannot hide under it any longer.

He only goes to the bathroom once a month.
I soak him at least 2 times a week in the tub.
His cool side ranges from 80-88F
His basking is 100-107F
His UVB is reptisun 10.0 fluorescent tube.
I offer him food every other day (veggies, which he doesn't eat unless i force it into his gaping mouth) and insects about 3 times a week, which he eats happily. Im worried that too many insects will cause problems with his health, but he refuses to eat veggies, or pellets, or freeze dried medleys. I am at a loss.

This morning, he actually moved from his cool side, basked for about 20 min, then went off to hide under rock wall on top of slate rocks and has been laying there with his eyes closed for the past 2 hrs.

I want everyone to know that this has been happening for nearly 2 yrs and it is not brumation, unless you think that brumation can happen for his entire life. He has lost little weight if any, as the vet would weigh him often and find maybe 5 grams in fluctuation. Aussie has been to the vet a total of 11 times in his life. First suspected for impaction from sand, then a blood infection from the sand, then the vet realized or thought that he concluded that his body no longer outputs or produces the same amount of B12 because of the damage the sand caused.

Im beginning to think that he will just be this way for the rest of his life. His tail is still fat and his eyes are alert to movement, but that is pretty much it. He is pretty much active for very short periods of time (like after bath time or if he has to poop that day, which as you know is very rare)

I was curious to see if anyone has ever had a dragon like this. And I really don't want to go to another vet again after 11 times and 3 different vets who can't seem to figure it out (although the last vet was pretty accurate and made sense).

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Its surely frustrating. I just wish he was normal...

My female has the same setup and she is much different than he. Gets up every morning, basks, and eats ANYTHING.

I order an array of bugs just for him so he has at least some variety (since he wont eat veggies). He gets butterworms, occasional waxworms, superworms, crickets, occasional freeze dried grasshoppers, occasional canned grasshoppers, and rarely hornworms (when in stock at a local store or show).

I can't figure him out. I've officially given up and have accepted him as his lethargic, hiding, non eating self.

bump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom