Hi ! New owner, first reptile ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Well, we had a brown anole when I was a kid, but I wasn't the one caring for him and was only vaguely aware that his heat and humidity were somehow controlled.

tumblr_lz2ats6cof1qk43ago1_500.png

tumblr_lz2ay1ycE71qk43ago1_500.png

His name is Pancake and he's in a very temporary set-up right now. He's shedding (and being misted).

This weekend, he's going into a much larger terrarium with um, actual basking rocks, not old books. :p

- 50 gallon terrarium
- Reptisun 10.0
- heat lamp fixture (with dimmer) + bulb
- temp gun
- basking rocks

And maybe I'll actually get a pretty background instead of using 97 cent posterboard from walmart. :p I feel like I go through a process with my tanks where they start out really ugly but get better over time as I learn more. :D

I'm looking at how to make fake rocks, but I'm not sure if I'm that crafty. It feels like decorating my aquariums was much easier ! But I guess I will have to read and learn more and maybe I'll learn as much as I have about aquatic plants and such. :)

Will be using paper towels while I look into something like shelf-liner or maybe tiles in the long-run. He has kale and collard greens and has eaten a few leaf-bits from my hand. In my rush to get him home and warm, I forgot the dubia roaches my friend was giving me. D: So I'll be getting him some crickets or roaches ASAP.

I have some earthworms for my axolotl on hand, but have heard mixed things about if they're okay for bearded dragons or not. It's so interesting learning about the different needs of different creatures. :) Earthworms are one of the best foods for axolotls, but it seems they are not nearly as nutritious or good for bearded dragons !

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome, fellow axie and beardie keeper :D

Looks like you've done your research, kudos :)

I was just saying to another keeper, I recommend butterworms. They're tasty and last up to four months in the fridge if your supplier is a little unreliable.

Bearing in mind (I typed "bearding" three times, trying to get that right!), bearing in mind that you're getting your worms from -cide free areas/suppliers, I guess it would make an exciting snack once in a while. My big dragon Tsam managed to hunt down a large slug once. :roll:

Snarf

Hatchling Member
Hi!

I have to say I love the name, reminds me of squashing people on Unreal Tournament!

I'm the exact same with vivariums I have the basics then I will slowly tear it to pieces and rebuild it better over time and as I find new ideas and better equipment. Don't worry about being crafty, it's fairly easy and feels very DIY more than art. It's really rewarding and fun too!

Exactly! That's what I love about reptiles and fish - it's so interesting to see how different care needs can be, especially when it can be very different for very similar species. I've never been told earthworms are bad as an occasional treat (though I'm far from being n-the-know most of the time :lol:) though ones I use most are superworms (my beardie struggles with his weight and at times, digestion it seems) and I tried wax worms but he didn't go for them at all.... kinda looked at me as if I were stupid and turned his nose up.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks ! :D

My friend has helped very much in outlining the lights/fixtures/food/et cetera needed. Without help, it would have been a lot of conflicting information to wade through. There are so many different things on-line, some of which are outdated or incorrect. I know this is true for basically any species, but it makes it hard to verify what really is right if you don't find a good forum like this or have a good pet store or friend.

I'm trying to figure out a good staple live feeder. I like the dubia roaches, would 150 appropriately-sized ones (3/4" as that's the space between his eyes ?) per month be a good amount ? I feel like a colony might be overkill for only one bearded dragon, and I'm concerned about heating it. With just monthly shipments, my house is warm enough I wouldn't have to heat their tub and could just put food and water crystals in. Maybe I could try to have some "leftovers" every month to see what, if anything, they would do at 67F. :)

In the meantime, I'm going tomorrow to see what the local pet store has for worms and such. Maybe I'll pick up some crickets for before I decide on what to order. They might have butterworms there, I wouldn't be too surprised. :D

PonchoandDaddy

Hatchling Member
I actually LOVE the books for a basking spot! It is adorable! He looks sooo smart sitting up there like "yup, I'm getting my learning on"

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I know ! I'm considering making or buying fake books for his bigger tank. The real ones just can't be cleaned well and I don't want them harbouring bacteria (he already pooped on one). D:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angiemeyer8561
Top Bottom