Help with feeding amounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Hello I am asking a feeding question again as I thought I was on the right track but now I am not so sure. My Beardie is 9 months old, always been a good eater! She is quite plump and I have always followed the rule of 5-10 mins as much as they can eat and food gets supplemented each day at every feeding (2 times per day now) with either calcium or vits. She is shedding at the moment so not eating much but on a normal day this is what she eats:

1st feeding (AM) Around 10-25 appropriately sized brown crickets +
veg usually rocket which is left there all day, she usually eats 90% of this too.
2nd feeding (PM) 10-25 appropriately sized crickets but if I want to give her locusts (around 1cm) I usually give her less and she can easily eat 10-15 of these.

She always jumps out when she is full, even if there are crickets left, if they run out before 5-10 mins I add more.

I have been told that this is WAY too much and I should be feeding her now once a day and around 10 crickets OR Locusts with veg.

:banghead:

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Are these people 'experts' in bearded dragons? Have they done extensive research to figure out what kind of diet is optimal for a captive dragon?

Yes, a bearded dragon in the wild wouldn't eat that much.. but:

They also wouldn't live in a cage, have their bugs dusted, or have a designated basking spot.

Also, they die at about 3 years old. So, you can feed it 10 crickets and have it die early, or you can listen to what the people who've raised dragons for years say and have your dragon for 10+ years. :)

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I know what you mean :) I got told this a few months back and didn't listen but then I got told again because I have looked at other dragons and she is very plump! I just wanted to know if maybe she is over weight? I don't have scales to weigh her at the moment!

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
She doesn't look overweight at all - she's still growing so to get her to be overweight would be a huge challenge :p

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thankyou- obviously underweight and overweight can be a huge problem to their health, most of the time she flattens herself right out so she looks huge, and the older beardies I see look more evened out! She does have a podge but she runs fast enough for locusts so I won't worry yet :) I will carry on the way I have been! I will get her to stop slumping around and add a pic of her stood up!

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Looks a bit dark as she is shedding :(

Here is a pic

photo-1.jpg

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Most of the bearded dragons in the wild die before reaching maturity anyway, falling prey to the other animals or not getting enough to eat. Most bearded in the wild don't live to the ripe old age like our captive counterparts. I don't think you can really compare the wild to captivity. Each has its own stresses that your pet has to contend,, but most of the animals that live in the wild are downright tough and are survivors. So If your pet is obese, then cut back on the amount of live feeders, but if he's not, then you don't have to worry much. Most animals will not eat when they are not hungry. This is particularily true with reptiles. It is hard to overfeed if you feed the right food. this means you limit the amount of fatty food like fuzzies and hoppers (which should only fed occasionally and good for adding variety to diet). Hope this helps!

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay thanks a lot. So Locusts are high in fat? I didn't know this... I feed her both crickets and locusts she gets them alternate days or alternate at each feed. I want to add variety but in the UK and can't really get hold of much more- she has never had a pinky, not sure I would like to do this but heard from my vet they are great in calcium! The local food store has some roaches in I may get a couple!

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Most bugs are good to use as staples, except waxworms which are high in fat. You shouldn't really use immature mice on regular basis. It's OK for adding variety to help round out the overall diet (they contain a lot of vitamins, minerals and trace elements), but you should really feed these in moderation. I usually feed these twice month. You can feed more to underweight bearded or gravid females (being gravid takes a lot of nutrients from body for egg production). So, bugs are good, especially soft bodied insects (like silk worms, horned worms and phoenix worms). Soft bodied insects are easily digestable so your bearded can get more nutrients from them and they poses less risk of impaction. Roaches are good, too. Dubias and lobster roaches are especially good for breeding because they are so easy to breed, and you will usually end up with a lot of free food.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I think if they are not getting much of the bugs you can feed more fuzzies, but make sure you don't over do it. but from your original post looks like you are feeding him well and feed him enough bugs anyway. Why are you worried so much? :wink:

Anyway, most animals that died usually died from not being kept in an appropreate set up. Usually, that's what kill the animals. Either they are kept too cold, too hot...basically not being kept at the right temperature. Or the animals are too stressed out because they are being kept in a high traffic area and in addition to that being handled too much. Really, most animals that die die from not incorrect set up. This true with inexperienced keepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom