Help, Reptile Vet cannot figure dehydration issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna8359

Hatchling Member
SEVERLY dehydrated silkback bearded dragon. Eye carved into the skull she is so dehydrated. Administering oral fluids through a syringe/tube feeding process. (at least 5mls a day) (she is 70 grams) She is pooping out the water and pedialyte I am forcing her to drink but is not absorbing any if the fluids. Vet seems to think because of her genes her intestines are not working properly. Weight loss and dehydration occured in less than 2 weeks. She is getting worse everyday. Negative fecal test for parasites or coccydia. I am trying to save her by even trying soy yogurt to give her probiotics. Any help from anyone who has had experience with this type of problem please help! I dont want to have her euthanized yet! Giving her another two days to show improvement! She also received peritoneal fluids from my reptile vet and still didn't rehydrate. Is there anything that can help kidneys function and improve intestinal absorption?

Jenna8359

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have had jellybean for three years, she is the size of a small juvenile. Her growth was stunted most likely due to her bad genetics. She never grew but was always fat and healthy. In three weeks time, I noticed she was losing weight. She lost all of the weight in the photos in third photo in 5 days. During this time I had been and still am force feeding her water and pedialyet along with weight gaining formulas. Its just not working. I think she it is just her time to go and I need to get her euthanized. We have been in and out of the vets office for the last week. They were hopeful but I think we are at the end of our struggle. I am just not ready to give up on her.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry that you are faced with such a heartbreaking decision. I'm sorry that I do not know what could possibly be wrong, or how to fix it. Try not to agonize over making the decision. An answer will come to you when the time is right. Sending big hugs your way, Esther

Jenna8359

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Esther, unfortunately she does last night. I tried everything and did exactly what the vet instructed me to do. It was just her organs giving out because of her genes and poor genetics. Thanks anyways.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that you lost her. :cry:
I do think that it is most likely from organ issues caused by inbreeding practices.

My sincere condolences to you.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry you lost her. :cry: You were there for her at the end so she was not alone.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom