Help! Need aid on post anthelmintic/antibiotic therapy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zappa77

My juvenile bd went on hunger strike for a week. I tried everything dubias, mealworms, waxworms, etc. After a week I reintroduced crickets and he/she really went after them; however, it resulted in emesis of the entire meal. I called the vet right away on Saturday and had an emergency visit and brought in a fresh stool (200 dollars ><). The smear revealed flagellated parasites and some other protozoans (I was able to see under the microscope). The specimen was sent off for diagnosis. She gave him/her a dose of panacur (anthelmintic) and made an appointment for follow up in 2 weeks for the second treatment. In the meantime she gave me some Flagyl (antibiotic/antiprotozoal) {I've given this IV to many humans hehe} to dose every 2 days for 10 days. I started yesterday with the Flagyl. The vet (herpatologist) went on and on how reptile probiotics were snake oil and they can not introduce the species specific beneficial flora to the beardies. I shrugged it off and went and bought some soy yogurt because I read about herpers using it for years (call it a placebo for me I guess). I also purchased some squash and chicken baby food mixed at a ratio of 2:1. I read I was supposed to gently grab the beard (holding the mouth at corners) to open the mouth to syringe dose/feed...However, after reading more I quit that practice due to possible injury of the tendons and bones...wow lots of bad info on the net to sift through and critically think about.

I fed him 1 tsp of the mixture today. What scares me is the last day or so I notice a prominent bulge on the anatomical right side by the lower rib cage. In a human this is where the liver is located. This terrifies me because being a nurse I know how hard anthelmintics and antiprotozoals are on humans/animals and I hope the little guy isn't having a hepatic incident or an acute onset of hepatitis. (ew then there is the adenovirus fear). I have posted a picture (not that good) and anyone with extensive knowledge of post-worming care please chime in. Here are the parameters so they aren't asked about in a later post...

bd is 12 inches head to tail no weight measured...he's not a fatty pretty thin actually he's definitely under a year maybe 6 mos
40 gallon breeder - no screen
slate tiles
100watt Powersun MVB (2012) over 12" away 14 to be exact 14hours a day
Zilla T8 tube and fixture for some extra lighting...figured a little more uvb won't hurt
Twice a day crickets, mealworms (very seldom), dubias, waxworms (only when he's been a good lizard) only eats 10 or so crickets at sitting but been on hungers strike over a week
Greens, squash, and sometimes higher oxalate foods like Kale (he loves it)
Ca/D3 once a day
Vitamin supplement once a week or so
98-103 basking temp depends on my room temp measured with probe
coolside WNL
Nightime no heat becuase room temp is 75 or above
IMG_0267-1.jpg

BeardieMommy3991

Sub-Adult Member
That sounds horrible :( Sorry I'm not more experienced in parasites. Our other beardie had cancer, and we had to force feed him his meds, so I know a bit about that at least. I would pull his "lip" down on one side, and slide the tip of the syringe torwards the front of his mouth (it kind of gently pries it open)

Not sure about the lump. I hope it's not too serious. I encourage a nice warm bath- no matter what the problem, that always feels nice.

I hope your darling feels better soon.

Zappa77

Original Poster
Vet called this morning the fecal screen came back and she said he has every parasite known to man...(only live pet I have ever bought from Petco and the last). She is also bringing a sulfonamide, Albon, on board. He is still pretty wrecked the poor little guy/girl. It took almost 2 months for theses symptoms to become prominent. Well I knew the risks of a chain pet store but my gf really wanted a beardy (chameleon initially but I talked her out of that fast!) So this is the consequence ><

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
Great that there is a diagnosis and treatment planned! Yay!

I just wanted to point out that too much UVB is not good, I would advise turning off the T8 Zilla bulb and just adding a normal florescent tube instead if you want extra lighting. The Zilla bulbs are no good anyway. (they give off too much UVB at first then decline rapidly.)

Zappa77

Original Poster
I have a question he has 2 more doses of Flagyl, (every other day), 24 days of the Albon (coccudia), and about 10 days for his final dose of Panacur (worms). I always spot-clean with unscented baby-wipes; however, when would be the most optimum time to clean his terrarium with a bleach solution?

The prescription of Flagyl was only 1 unit for only 5 doses every other day...there are several doses left should I continue to dose the Flagyl for couple more doses for prophylaxis? It seemed like a small dose regiment for Flagyl; however, I do not know the reconstituted concentration. Although not knowing the concentration of Flagyl, I am extremely wary to administer any medication after the prescribed amount. If anyone could chime in on the approximate cleaning time and experience with prophylaxis use of medication I would appreciate it.

Zappa77

Original Poster
Update...he's feeding well and he is very active! My GF can throw a waxworm across the apartment and point in the direction...and the little guy will run over and eat it. I have a bd that plays fetch...it's funny to watch :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom