HELP MY DRAGON IS SICK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help!
We bought Dragon a Powersun UVB and now she is very ill. She won't eat. She won't come out of her hide. She won't open her eyes. She seemed ok until we bought her the Powersun. Now I am worried sick about her. I have read up on the UVB recalls and I am now thinking that the one we bought was one of them. I feel horrible it seems like everything I am trying to do for her is hurting her. She seems very sick and the nearest Vet that even knows what she is, is 110kms away. I am soo worried about her. Can anyone help me on what I should do? I am scared to even pick her up. I don't want to hurt her anymore. She won't eat anything not even her crickets. (And she always eats her crickets), I need some GOOD info on what to do. I have asked soo many people as to what we are doing wrong with her and noone can tell us the same thing. All the information we have gotten about beardies (except from barb), has been a bunch of bull. They tell us one thing and then we hear something else from the next person, petstore employee, vet. I am confused, and worried about our baby. Please help me!! I just want her to be happy and healthy!
Kim :(

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
i would turn off the power sun right now! It seem you may have got a bad bulb, just swap it for a normal household bulb and let her eyes rest for a week or two.

There is some uncertainty atm reguaring the different brands of MVB so as she is really not well i would order either the reptiSUN10 tube, or if in the UK the arcadia 12% tube.

She should return to normal once the 'bad' UVB has stopped. Until then give her baths and plenty of loves. Are her eyes red/ discharging at all??

newdragonownerkim

Original Poster
No there is no discharge. And we did turn the light out. I kinda phoned the pet store we got the bulb from this morning and had a hissyfit I guess you could call it. But he said that we could bring the bulb back and he would refund our money. I was so upset. I did give her a bath this morning and have been loving on her all day. I think I even spoiled her she didn't want to go back in her cage...lol She is opening one of her eyes already. But the other one not so much. She wasn't moving at all last night and I am amazed at how fast she started moving about again. I have an appointment with a vet in the morning just to make sure. But thank you so much for your advice.
Kim
Oh, and I am already looking for a reptisun 10.0 but noone around here sells them so I have to order it in.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I suggest ordering the reptisun 10 tube from here: http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-bulb.html They are running close to $20 plus shipping. From what I've read, it's a real good idea for you to leave the uvb off for a while to let her eyes heal from the PKC. This is probably what your beardie is experiencing from the bulb. It sounds just like what I've read happens with bad bulbs.

I was just reading through the thread about the solar glo that is supposed to be a MVB but is working not as well as the reptisun 10 tube. I will pm Tracie and ask her to check this thread out and maybe she knows of some problems with the powersun MVB's. I do remember reading (I think) about the powersun's (100 watts) causing PKC problems.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear of your problems. This year has been a horrible year for lights!
As instructed, definitely turn the Powersun off & get your refund. Since you are outside of the US, try looking for the Arcadia D3 12% tube light, it might possibly be sold up there, or the Reptisun 10 tube. They are both good lights.
For now, just use a basking light over him & try to keep him a little warm at night, around 80 or so which will help boost his immune system. I would try to get extra oral fluids into him as well as bathing him daily right now because these lights dehydrate them.
If he is not eating, it would be a good idea to get some chicken or turkey baby food & squash baby food into him as well to help him out as well. You can also get some pedialyte to mix in with it also to help with electrolyte replacement.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

newdragonownerkim

Original Poster
Dragon is doing alot better today. I warmed up a bean bag and put it under a blankie for her last night. She seemed to sleep well. My husband fed her 5 crickets this morning. But she hasn't climbed out of her blanket yet. I hope she is going ok. I am returning the power sun today. I will look for the arcadia or reptisun today. Thanks for all of your help!
Kim

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, I hope she is starting to feel better now. At least she did eat a few crickets though. Any luck on finding another light yet?
Keep us posted on her. The beanbag idea is so cute, she must have slept well!

Tracie

newdragonownerkim

Original Poster
Dragon is feeling better! She is eating a few crickets a day now. But she still won't eat her veggies. Stubborn little brat. The Vet. gave us some calcium and vit. D3 to supplement her for now. I hope she will start eating more though. I am putting her out in the natural sun whenever I can too. So she seems to be recouping pretty good. Both of her eyes are opened again. The Vet. gave us some ointment for the one eye and it has helped alot. She is alot more active. I am putting her in the sun as often as I can but since the powersun she won't come out if the uv light is on. So right now we are just bringing her out into the natural sunlight as much as we can. Thank you all so much for your help. Dragon is getting much better and we do have another vet. appointment on friday to see if she is gaining any weight. I think I am just going to buy my own scale and do a weigh in with her weekly. Just to make sure she is healthy and gaining. She is only 190grams and she is 16inches long so she should be eating way more. But we are working on it and she is getting there I will let you all know how she is after our appointment on Friday.
Take care and thanks again!
Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom