Help! limp tail and foul smell

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing, he looks good there! Your setup for him is perfect for him right now. I hope his
eye is better. Did you figure out why he wasn't opening his eye yet?
The tail should heal up nicely for him. As AHBD suggested, using the raw honey on the tail as well
as the eye as an antibiotic eye ointment or drops is very effective.
I hope he continues to improve now without any complications!

Tracie

jkratman

Original Poster
Thanks, Tracie! His eye seems to be ok this morning. He's keeping it open, though he seems quite groggy right now. After the way he reacted yesterday, I'm giving him a chance to wake up a bit before handling him.

Appreciate your help and support. I will keep everyone up-to-date!

John

jkratman

Original Poster
A bunch more bsf today, as well as salad. He pooped, too, and it looked normal. He was not interested in coming out today, as far as I could tell, and took the meloxicam with little fuss. All in all, he looks pretty good for all the trauma the poor guy has gone through. I'll update again tomorrow!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello John,

That's good to hear his eye is doing a bit better right now. It can definitely take some time for the
anesthesia to fully wear off & move through his system. Hopefully he isn't in much pain & heals up
quickly!

Tracie

jkratman

Original Poster
Fin had a good day today. He's been being a very good boy about his meds, which makes me think he's not quite his old self yet, lol! :)

He spent a couple of hours out of his viv, under the lights and got some exercise as he did his normal laps around the room and climber over the pile of boots and shoes near the door (his favorite activity).

The amputation site seems healthy and not further tail biting that I've been witness to.

No further issues with his left eye that I can see.

Fingers crossed that his recovery continues to go so well. Ceftazadadime shot tomorrow, wish me luck.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice to hear another good update ! Keep an eye on him while free roaming, climing boots sounds like great fun for an adventurous dragon , just watch that there's no chance of busting his stitches open [ although it seems slim] But all in all everything seems to be going well. :)

jkratman

Original Poster
Yeah, I try to reason with him, but he’s not much of a listener, lol. Another good day, fingers crossed for another tomorrow. Thanks, AHBD

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he is feeling better, he seems to be in great spirits. As long as it heals up without any type of
infection starting from the surgery he should be well on his way to a full recovery.
How did his shot go?

Tracie

jkratman

Original Poster
Second shot (3rd total) did not go as smoothly as last one, but I managed, thanks. He's eaten A LOT today, so I think it's safe to say his appetite is not affected!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's good to hear you managed to get the shot administered! It can definitely be challenging, but
can be done. I'm glad to hear that his appetite hasn't decreased from the antibiotic injections thus far.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

jkratman

Original Poster
Quick update: One week out and Fin continues to do well. He's eating a lot, pooping, and running around like a crazy man.

Thanks to all who have helped us! I will check in with you all again when he has his stitches out in two weeks, barring no future problems (fingers crossed, knocking on wood).

John

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Terrific, Fin is doing well! Thanks for keeping us updated on him. I'm sure that he is very appreciative of all of your care for him.
Just him running around is very positive!

Tracie

jkratman

Original Poster
So, it's been 8 days since Fin's surgery and 9 I think since his first dose of Meloxicam? There are still a couple of doses left and I did not get an instruction other than "daily". Should I continue to dose him? I sent an email to the vet and I'm waiting to hear back.

Thanks.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom