HELP Baby bearded dragons not eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
I have a clutch of 16 bearded dragons that hatched out on June 25-27. I left them in he incubator for 24 hours and then transported them to their bins. I have 8 on one bin and 7 in the other bin. Some of them are interested in eating but one little guy in prticular hasn't eaten any bugs. At the moment all I have are dubias. I am getting crickets on tuesday hopefully. I am getting some repti worms today. They have constant greens and bearded dragon commercial food (I hear dit helps with tail nippers so I am giving it a try) I havenoticed them eating the greens and a little bit of the commercial food but they seem very uninterested in the bugs. They freak out when I go in there and if I seperate them out individually they glass dance and don't want anything to do with the bugs. I am dropping 10 dubias in the cage with the lots of them. I am just worried they will start going for each other very soon. What should I do? I also have the dubias in a mealworm type cup so they annot escape and are easier for the babies to get at. I have a problem with the dubias hiding under the paper towels in the containers.

I also had a question, when should they have their first bath?

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Have u gotten ur crickets yet? R ur babies eating any better? I hope so cuz I know that's stressing u out a lot! :) I've never used dubias & in fact had to look them up b4 I posted u so not familiar at all but I've raised babies b4 & they went after the pinhead & small crickets with gusto! Idk if dubias r ok 4 babies or not. The insect's body may b too big? Just a guess. U measure the distance on top of the baby dragons head between the eyes, and then cut that in half & ur prey item shud not b any larger in length than that. U may already no that and like I sed I'm not familiar w/ dubias so not sure how large they r but I do no they will eat crickets no larger than the above measurement, which r usually pinheads in the first week of the beardies life, and the the next size up from there on. I do hope they're eating better and uve got things settled by now! Let me no how they're doing!! Congratulations!! :blob5: :blob8:

Rukia1988

Juvie Member
Original Poster
They ate fine. My friend told me they don't usually eat normally for the first week anyway. I was just worried that my babies were going to nip at each other. So far so good.

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
That's great! So glad ur prob kinda solved itself! At least no missing toes or tails! I'm always trying different things 4 my dragons so I may give the dubias a try. I have a female dragon that has just finished laying her 3rd clutch -- on this 1 she started laying on July 4 & lay between 1-3 eggs every day from July 4 thru the 13th!!! I didn't think she'd ever stop digging or laying & she's truly skeletal she's so emaciated from all that. Do u think dubias wud b good 4 her? Are they fattening (have a lot of fat in em)? I've got sum hornworms on order but they won't b here till Tues so am looking 4 sumthing to fatten the poor lil thing up! Do the dubias crawl around a lot or just sit there? Idk anything about em except that their roaches!! Any info I'd appreciate! Thx!!!

togburn

Dubias are great. They don't stink and they are easy to care for. Just get the 1/4 inch dubias for the babies. They are better than crickets nutritionally.

zoemay

annlizardlover97":11rlsx6b said:
That's great! So glad ur prob kinda solved itself! At least no missing toes or tails! I'm always trying different things 4 my dragons so I may give the dubias a try. I have a female dragon that has just finished laying her 3rd clutch -- on this 1 she started laying on July 4 & lay between 1-3 eggs every day from July 4 thru the 13th!!! I didn't think she'd ever stop digging or laying & she's truly skeletal she's so emaciated from all that. Do u think dubias wud b good 4 her? Are they fattening (have a lot of fat in em)? I've got sum hornworms on order but they won't b here till Tues so am looking 4 sumthing to fatten the poor lil thing up! Do the dubias crawl around a lot or just sit there? Idk anything about em except that their roaches!! Any info I'd appreciate! Thx!!!

i feed my female dubia roaches whenever shes laid, they have a lot more nutrition in them compared to crickets and both my beardies seem to LOVE them........ although i have heard of some dragons who ain't too keen on eating them, but its deffinately worth a try. my female today had 4 large adult dubia's 1x large hissing cockroach (mine also seem to like these, although bit more expensive to buy i believe) 2x 5th locusts and 10x waxworms (all just for one of her 2 feeds per day) she is about to lay her 5th clutch of eggs so as you can tell she's bulking up quite a bit lol.

hope yours enjoys the dubia's if you do go ahead for them :)

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
HOLY COW!! Her 5th clutch!! Good Lord I hope Fatty (now "Twiggy" cuz she's lost so much) duznt do that. Her 2nd clutch just hatched out last night & I was up all night with em! Only 6 -- she lay 19 but a lot of em were infertile (her 1st time laying). Then she lay the 3rd clutch EVERY DAY starting July 4th thru July 17th -- 2 straight weeks -- she'd lay between 1-3 eggs every day! I dint think she'd EVER stop laying eggs! She's really emaciated & stopped eating on the 3rd day of laying except 4 crickets. Now she's thru she is actually eating her greens again & crickets but she's so skeletal I was thinking of getting some horned worms or Phoenix worms I think they're called. I got sun at a local reptile show once & tried em & all my dragons went nuts over em. I hear they're loaded with fat but they r a little pricey too so thas why I was wundring if the dubias wud still fatten her up but b a little cheaper too. I'm disabled & my check isn't very much every month so I gotta watch my pennies if u no what I mean. But I may give em a try. I'll google the dubias & check the prices & then get either them or the Phoenix worms. Thx 4 the info tho! She's very slowly gaining weight but not too much so far so wanna fatten her up ASAP! Thx 4 ur help!

zoemay

awhhh bless her ......... well my female has always laid all her eggs in one go, first clutch she had 17 and recently 9 of them have hatched out :D her second clutch she laid 25 :eek: 10 of which were infertile but the other 15 are due to hatch any day now :p lol her third clutch she had 24 eggs and i decided it was best to not keep any of them so although it was really hard to do i froze them all :( her forth clutch she had 23 and ive kept 6 but only one of them seems to be forming veins inside so im thinking that each clutch shes having she getting less and less fertile eggs although they are look lovely and white and round when they come out, they dont seem to form any veins inside :?

each time she has laid she has stopped eating for around 2-3 days at the most but as soon as shes laid she's straight back on her food :lol: dont think she can resist her food lol. ide suggest giving the dubias a go or have you tried her on pinkies (baby mice) ?? they are really cheap to buy and really good in providing fat and a good source of calcium too. my female isnt mad on them but with some encouragement she will reluctantly eat them if shes hungry enough.

good luck with your little ones, they are a joy to watch grow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom