Hello, I adopted Smog

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluVision

Hello everyone. Today I just became a new owner, I adopted Smog. My family's home caught fire this week and I adopted my dads bearded dragon who survived the fire. He's about 1yr. & 1/2 now and he really didin't get too much attention back home. As his new owner I wonder if you all could share some tips and advice on how Smog & I could get better acquainted.

When I got him to his new home, I was able to get him out of the tank to fix it up. He has plenty of crickets and worms to eat for now. My biggest concern is how do I get him to get comfortable with socializing with me. He wasn't held much with my dad, so I want him & I to get friendly. And being that he's already over a year old, I wasn't sure if there will be a problem with him adapting to a new social environment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
e6da6238ab5111e188131231381b5c25_7.jpg

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Smog is lovely. I adopted a 1 & 1/2 year old who was not given much attention either. It took months of patience but it pays off big time. I started by just being around her. I put her in my bed room and kept things quiet. I made sure to speak to her softly while I folded the clean clothes. I then put her on the bed while I folded clothes. She started to come closer and discovered that clothes fresh from the dryer are warm and fun to hide in :lol: I'd pet her in her tank then take her out for 10mins at a time. Slowly upping the time allowed me to bring her into the living room where she would lay on her heating pad (people kind) on the back of the couch. She has gotten to the point where she 'asks' to come out. (digs at the tank while looking me dead in the eye) :lol: She still doesn't like to be petted much but she wants to be with me now everyday gets better and better. Last week she reached out and grabbed my thumb while my hand was in the tank. She just looked at me softly like "you're not perfect mom, but you're do'n ok" The best reward I could ever ask for. Time and patience and maybe laundry.... :lol: U'll do fine :wink:

BluVision

Original Poster
morphmom":1li3l4ho said:
Smog is lovely. I adopted a 1 & 1/2 year old who was not given much attention either. It took months of patience but it pays off big time. I started by just being around her. I put her in my bed room and kept things quiet. I made sure to speak to her softly while I folded the clean clothes. I then put her on the bed while I folded clothes. She started to come closer and discovered that clothes fresh from the dryer are warm and fun to hide in :lol: I'd pet her in her tank then take her out for 10mins at a time. Slowly upping the time allowed me to bring her into the living room where she would lay on her heating pad (people kind) on the back of the couch. She has gotten to the point where she 'asks' to come out. (digs at the tank while looking me dead in the eye) :lol: She still doesn't like to be petted much but she wants to be with me now everyday gets better and better. Last week she reached out and grabbed my thumb while my hand was in the tank. She just looked at me softly like "you're not perfect mom, but you're do'n ok" The best reward I could ever ask for. Time and patience and maybe laundry.... :lol: U'll do fine :wink:

Thank you so much for responding. Glad to hear that there's light at the end of this tunnel lol. We're getting him used to hearing us and he'll let me pet him just fine. But we'll definitely try to give him a lot of attention consistently.
We're trying to get a good idea of his personality and all. But I think he's starting to get comfortable. He started eating his crickets last night.

morphmom

BD.org Addict
You're more then welcome, anytime. 8) I don't think I'll ever have a baby. There are too many adults in the world that deserve a 2nd chance :wink:

PudgysMom

Juvie Member
Hi there! Welcome.

I am very sorry to read of the fire. I was actually trapped in a serious fire in January. I understand how horrible it is. I am very glad everyone was okay -Smog, too.

I agree with the advice you've gotten already. Let Smog roam a little and approach you. Make sure you do soaks and that you also DEFINITELY incorporate veggies (and fruit) into his diet. It is extremely important for them.

Read these boards, there is some great advice.

When you are able, have a fecal test done at the vet, too. Just to make sure he doesn't have pinworms, etc.. Always a very good thing to have them checked.

Awesome of you to take him in! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom