Growth on Dexter's eyelid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was wondering if anyone might know what this growth is on my dragons eyelid is. Dex has had it now for about a year. It hasn't gown any bigger but hasn't shrank. Health wise he is a champ, eats like a horse daily, is a solid 20 inches in length and still growing. He's mega healthy and active.
photo.jpg

outkastland

Original Poster
There's 2 lights that I use. Mercury vapor on basking area then I use a coil uvb over top the cool section of his tank.

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
outkastland":1j86c0dw said:
There's 2 lights that I use. Mercury vapor on basking area then I use a coil uvb over top the cool section of his tank.
Coil bulbs arn't so great unfortunately. They have more concentrated output and this can be harmful to your beardies eyes. I have no experience on the eye lid, but I know that it has been known to cause eye problems.

Your best UVB bulb to get would be the ReptiSUN 10.0 fluorescent tube, or the Arcadia 12% in the UK.

outkastland

Original Poster
Nathan1995":2gmtm2dw said:
outkastland":2gmtm2dw said:
Coil bulbs arn't so great unfortunately. They have more concentrated output and this can be harmful to your beardies eyes. I have no experience on the eye lid, but I know that it has been known to cause eye problems.

Your best UVB bulb to get would be the ReptiSUN 10.0 fluorescent tube, or the Arcadia 12% in the UK.

Good point, thanks for the info. I'll switch up the bulbs next chance.

Hopefully someone knows what this bump might be. My local reptile guy doesn't know so its surprising.

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
outkastland":1g4vmq6k said:
Nathan1995":1g4vmq6k said:
outkastland":1g4vmq6k said:

Good point, thanks for the info. I'll switch up the bulbs next chance.

Hopefully someone knows what this bump might be. My local reptile guy doesn't know so its surprising.
Ah that sucks, well I've found people on this forum to be hundreds times better than the pet store anyway, and in some cases, better than vets! Well done for getting that new UVB, I'm sure it'll make some kind of difference, if not to the lump, then to his general health, and make your healthy champ, even healthier!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is the bump/growth on his eyelid soft or hard?
I have not seen too many dragons with growths on their eye lids, but have seen on top of the head, etc. This hopefully is just a harmless cyst, etc. Has he ever had an eye injury that you know of or retained eye shed that damaged the area trying to shed?
Has it ever drained any fluids at all?

It sounds like he is doing just fine without it bothering him. I would say it is up to you but you may want to at least go have it looked at to make sure it is not a tumor, or an abscess or some sort. My thoughts are that it is a harmless cyst, if it is hard.
I agree, I would take the coil out, they are pretty hard on their eyes. Which MVB are you using now?

Tracie

outkastland

Original Poster
Drache613":1p2ann6z said:
Hello,

Is the bump/growth on his eyelid soft or hard?
I have not seen too many dragons with growths on their eye lids, but have seen on top of the head, etc. This hopefully is just a harmless cyst, etc. Has he ever had an eye injury that you know of or retained eye shed that damaged the area trying to shed?
Has it ever drained any fluids at all?

It sounds like he is doing just fine without it bothering him. I would say it is up to you but you may want to at least go have it looked at to make sure it is not a tumor, or an abscess or some sort. My thoughts are that it is a harmless cyst, if it is hard.
I agree, I would take the coil out, they are pretty hard on their eyes. Which MVB are you using now?

Tracie

It' hard. Never drained any liquid from it. How do they treat a cyst? The lump happened after my female beardie scratched his eye lid. My lamps are fine, both tanks are done the same and Darcy has no issue. I had a feeling it was from the scratch. My reptile guy mislead me. The MVB are 100 watt exo terra or something. Its what I could find lately. The uvb coil is 20 watts and only covers the cool side. It's also fairly far away.

403220_10150568994376417_501636416_9131880_988904360_n.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

For cysts, they can drain them if needed. It may be an abscess if the scratch got infected perhaps.
The MVB from Exoterra, the Solar Glo is a very nice light. However, it doesn't really put out any UVB exposure at all. I would look into getting the Reptisun 10 tube bulb or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb, either one. The exposure of those tube bulbs are much better than the MVB bulb is.
Is he doing pretty well, overall?

Tracie

outkastland

Original Poster
Drache613":20hizqf5 said:
Hello,

For cysts, they can drain them if needed. It may be an abscess if the scratch got infected perhaps.
The MVB from Exoterra, the Solar Glo is a very nice light. However, it doesn't really put out any UVB exposure at all. I would look into getting the Reptisun 10 tube bulb or the Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb, either one. The exposure of those tube bulbs are much better than the MVB bulb is.
Is he doing pretty well, overall?

Tracie

These solar glos I got only as the usual mega rays were not available at the time. I just checked and the bulbs I got are 125watt.

Whatever the bump is, he has had it at least a year, maybe more now that I think of it. It's never changed, just remained the same. He has never become lethargic or stopped eating. He's active and is def in tune with things as he always puts on a show for the female when he sees her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is up to you then, since it has not appeared to change in size, etc for him or does not bother him. Maybe you can hold off awhile. It doesn't sound like an infection, but in cases like this, it is hard to know exactly without draining some fluids from the area to culture it.
At least he has a great appetite!
It is a bummer about the lights, but I have personally tested them & they emit virtually zero UVB.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom