Growing your own food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sangheili

Hatchling Member
I live in a small town that doesn't really have any good organic stores. I have to drive two hours to get to the nearest place that sells decent greens at decent prices and that's getting expensive.

So I was wondering, do any of you grow your own bearded dragon veggies?
I've got a window well in my bedroom and I've been thinking of taking the screen thing out, putting screen over the top of it, taking all the rocks out and filling it with soil and starting a garden xD
Or buying some grow lights and growing the food inside. I'm going to try and grow some dandelions, collard, mustard, and turnip greens, some flowers he can eat and that stuff.

I was just wanting some opinions on these ideas, if you've done it before, I'd love some tips! <3

dangit12

Juvie Member
well if you want to grow some veggies you need to know if your location has the right conditions to grow veggies. probably you can grow lettuce. But if you really want to know about growing some veggies buy some seeds reserch and water and you are good.

Jess

Extreme Poster
In the summer I grow all of Dudley's veggies! :D If they can survive in MN, they can survive anywhere LOL. I think that collards, mustards, and turnip greens all need full sun though, so just put them in a bright place.

I actually got this for Christmas so I could grow Dud's veggies in the winter too, but I haven't gotten around to setting it up yet. I think it would work really well though!
http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP1013-Three-Tray-Kitchen-Sprouter/dp/B000N03EK0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328904485&sr=8-1

Snarf

Hatchling Member
One of the easiest things to grow are cress - barely needs anything, inexpensive and abundant and is great for beardies. It's also fairly easy to grow root veggies, which can be potted so if you've the space (I know you're mentioning more windowsill) then you can easily pot plant things like butternut sqash and pumpkins and grow miniature varieties.

Herbs and plants are best things with windowsills (along with cress) and are really easy to maintain and do not take up much space. You can easily harvest in some parsley, strawberries can be done on the windowsill as can dandelions etc. Just remember to use natural methods such as pesticides and if you aren't sure about plants if they've been treated then you can "out grow" them in 12-13 weeks.

Windowsill and compact-space gardening is growing really popular, people are even harvesting potted potatoes and onions for their kitchen and I have grown a fair few things for my beardie. There are plenty of "pygmy" varieties on the market and even at that it's easy to find some pot space.

aussiefreak101

Hatchling Member
I know Carolina Classic Dragons grows their own food, you can try shooting him an e-mail and ask what he recommends as an easy one to start off with?

NeosMom

Juvie Member
A contractor I deal with at work grows his own greens and has been supplying my babies for the last ten days or so. I'm wanting to try growing my own. It's working for him, so why not me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom