Grover showing some color after shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyhawk42

Hatchling Member
I never thought I'd see so much color on him. Of course, the flash of the camera makes it look more pronounced.

As they get older does the melanin interfere with the yellows and reds if they aren't hypomelanistic? Right now he's gorgeous when he's a light color. Of course he's only about six inches, so you have to get in close to see.

grover_color.jpg

grover_color02.jpg

grover_color03.jpg

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Spike had crazy orange all over her when she was a little baby.. now the orange really only shows on her face. The orange on her back was once the color of a traffic cone .. its now so light you barely notice it. Her skin used to be a very light tan / cream color.. now its mostly brown.. so I guess thats why the orange got muted.

Ladyhawk42

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Spikeshuman":1h6o6plt said:
Spike had crazy orange all over her when she was a little baby.. now the orange really only shows on her face. The orange on her back was once the color of a traffic cone .. its now so light you barely notice it. Her skin used to be a very light tan / cream color.. now its mostly brown.. so I guess thats why the orange got muted.

Yeah, that sounds like an increase of melanin, which happens with snakes. A year-old Okeetee corn will be brighter than an older corn. A hypo or albino corn will usually retain her loveliness. Luckily, my old Arizona mountain king didn't have that problem, so it depends on the species. I could be wrong about increasing melanin concerning beardies because I don't know enough yet.

I no longer own snakes. I'm finding I prefer bearded dragons. They don't hide. They are fun to watch and at some point, Grover will be completely tame. Right now I'm holding him a few minutes each day. I want most of my interactions with him to be of the food variety. :)

Now, as for Spike: She is stunning even if her colors have muted and she sounds like a really fun dragon. I can hardly wait for Grover to calm down a little and be like Spike. I have time. He's only six inches.

I love seeing your pics and reading about cute little Spikey...do you ever call her Spikey? I call Grover "Groves" sometimes.

For now I'll just enjoy my dragon. Maybe I'll buy an orange hypo at some point.

Where do you stand on cohabitation? I keep thinking I'd like more dragons, but space is a factor. I consider putting two females together and then I watch that video of dragons with missing limbs and freak. I vow to never put two dragons together and then I'm seduced by pics of dragons I see. Ack! Right now I want the whole rainbow: red, orange, yellow and normal. :D Not enough space. :(

Spikeshuman

Juvie Member
Cohabitation... it all depends on the dragons. The problem is.. you dont know if they will get along until you have them. If they do not get along.. then you are forced to have two enclosures. Also.. with any type of animal.. getting two of the same size / age.. at the same time.. certainly improves your chances at cohabitation. And you are right to choose females.. they are more likely to be able to live together than two males. A male and female.. and you will have babies.. they seem to breed easily. Also.. the female can become stressed by constant attention from the male.

As for missing limbs.. that can happen even if the dragons get along. Feeding them separately will decrease that chance. When they are babies.. they will try to eat anything that moves.. even their brothers or sisters tail or feet. I have had one think the other's tail is a worm. You can tell she thought that by the way she looked at it before snapping to eat it. Luckily there was no damage.. but it happens. Also.. space and hides / basking spots are important to avoid fighting / injury. Having a hide and basking spot for each dragon should help. These are all good tips for babies.. I do not have any experience with housing adult dragons together. Just like any animal though.. I assume personalities can change.. and a pair that got along for years could eventually need to be separated. I have a friend that kept four dragons, three females and a male.. together for years with no injuries.. and no breeding / feeding problems. Unfortunately they got a virus and three of them died.. he has one female left. I suppose thats another thing to think about.. if one gets sick.. the other may as well.

Oh.. and I do call her Spikey... and sometimes Spikeytoes. I have claw marks all over my hands and shoulders! She needs clipping again.. I just hate to do it because she has a hard time clinging to my shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom