Good Substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narms72

The substrate is peat soil (organic) and half aspen snake bedding. (Edit For people who believe in lose substrates what do you think?)
I am a person that believes in real substrates so I don't want to hear it!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
To answer your question, no.

In fact, i'd go so far to say that is actually a horrible choice in substrates, worse than sand.

You've made it clear "you don't want to hear it" so that's all I am gonna say, unless you want to open up your question to discussion.

-Brandon

narms72

Original Poster
When I say don't want to hear it I mean about lose substrate in general and sorry didn't mean to be rude.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thank you for explaining further, and I too apologize if I came off as rude.

-Brandon

narms72

Original Poster
Then what do you recommend for any kind of lose substrate or would you stay away completely?

narms72

Original Poster
I perfer lose because I think berdies are happyest (If that's correct spelling) on a more natural substrate. Plus it looks better!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I, personally, would stay away completely.

It's an unnecessary risk in my opinion, and also in my opinion, I think some tiles look extremely nice in a dragons tank.

-Brandon

Jess

Extreme Poster
I've heard crappy things about the excavator stuff.

Non-particle substrate is the safest and easiest to clean. You can aways give your beardie a digging box if you want him to have somewhere to dig! My beardie has alfalfa pellets in his dig box.

Peat wouldn't be a good substrate anyways. It's known for holding moisture really well, and that would raise the humidity too much for a bearded dragon. In my live planted tank, I have a mix of coco fiber, sphagnum peat and fir bark. It's much more suitable for tropical reptiles.

raptor1989

Hatchling Member
You ever heard of easy liner works great and the color taupe or sandstone looks just like a nice layer of sand. The good thing is it isn't. I wanted to use glow in dark sand but when I heard impaction said no way. Tile looks good but to hard for dragons don't have the heart to use it because of injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom