Good place on west coast USA to buy crickets in bulk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyhawk42

Hatchling Member
I was going to do it through Mulberry Farms, but they're having issues with a cricket virus.

My beardie is growing like a weed now (over 12 inches, I'm sure) and buying crickets at the pet store is getting insanely expensive. I have a roach colony, but the babies are too small, still. It's not cost effective to feed tiny roaches to Grover.

I have to head to a physical therapy appointment, but let me say hi. It's been awhile. I was in the hospital in December and simply haven't felt well.

Grover is doing great. I think she's female, although I want to take some photos for your perusal. :) She isn't completely tame yet, but I'm going slow. She will jump into the air for crickets and roaches and will sit with her arms on the top of the terrarium for hand-feeding. It's incredibly funny. She's still not a fan of being held, though. Otherwise, she seem unafraid.

Ladyhawk42

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks!

Would 1,000 crickets fit into a 10 gallon aquarium? I have one I could adapt.

-Laura and her hungry beardie

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Yes, actually, that'd work well. Use pine or aspen shavings on the bottom and keep the egg crate they come with. :)

-Jen

Ladyhawk42

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So, if I order crickets today (Sunday), they would be shipped on Monday and arrive on Tuesday. Monday night the forecast is for 35 degrees. Then it cools off to a low of 29 degrees Tuesday night (at least on my weather widget).

Do you think ordering now is a good idea?

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Sorry for the delay! I was at our Oceanside store's grand opening all weekend.

You may want to wait a few days to see if it warms up at all - our guarantee is only for temperatures down to 35 degrees, and I don't want to tell you to try ordering now and have the crickets arrive dead.

If you did end up ordering and your crickets do not all arrive alive and in good shape, give us a call ASAP (even if it's after hours) and let us know so that we can make sure to take care of you.

-Jen

Ladyhawk42

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My crickets arrived just before the snowstorm and they seem just fine. I didn't see any dead ones. 1,000 crickets is a LOT of crickets. I've never seen that many before. At least one escaped during the transfer to my 10 gallon aquarium. I hope Grover appreciates them.

I put the 10 gallon in the corner where my parrot sleeps, away from the feeders that just died. I may have to put a towel over the aquarium at night so my bird and I can sleep. Cricket chirps sometimes get on my nerves. I added pine shavings as directed and gave them water crystals and food. I transferred the egg crates and added a few paper towel tubes for easy capture.

Interestingly, my beardie seems a little freaked out by the snowstorm, which he can see through a nearby window. I think he may be over his scare and ready for some om noms.

Thanks a lot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom