Give me pics to help Slash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colesdad

I know every answer always begins with questions of his viv and living conditions, so before any one asks...(I'm being lite hearted and love everyones passionfor the little lizards in their life)...50gal, paper towel substrate, 110 high, 75 cool, correct uvb tube, can get within 4 inches of uvb (light passes through screen, I know its not ideal), 5 weeks old, well behaved loves to ride on shoulder and burrows in wifes hair, eats 20-30 2x a day, crickets dusted with calc 5x and multi 2x per week. Using digital probe temp, loves his bath every 2-3 days. I'm sure theres more I'm missing, lol.
So, this brings me to my question.....
I've offered greens and he took a couple of bits, then looked at me a if to say"dad, these ain't crickets, what the heck!" I know it takes time for veggies and I can wait and let it happens, I know he will love veggiesa he gets older. I have seen the Beautiful Dragon site. How should I prepare them? Give me pic of appropriate sizes, he is 6"long now. Should they be at cool side or warm side of tank? Do I leave the skin on the squash. Please give me pics, good close up pics of your serving size and how you cut them and cuts of other things you provide. I love him, he is awesome. I not freaking that we WON'T eat them, he is young and it takes patience to introduce veggies. I just want to do the right thing the first time....Anyway, thanks for reading my question! Post your pics, don't assume someone else will. This human dad wants a long and healthy life for his lizard son :)

Spikey07

Juvie Member
Hi,

I am at work at the moment so can't post pics right now but i'll try to describe.

You should cut all the veg up into smallpieces, ideally the size of the space between his eyes or smaller.

Collard, dandelion greens and endive are great staples.

I use collard greens and finely grated butternut squash for a staple (you do need to peel the squash also). To this I add a mixture of whatever I have in (from the list of suitable things on the beautiful dragons site). I also add some of the zoo med bearded dragon food as a salad topper.

Whilst he is still young and not very interested I would keep the salad simple . Only add a couple of staple veg that you are going to use until he starts to eat it, then you can start adding more variety. Also there's no point putting out a big bowl if he isn't going to eat much so i'd just put out a small bit untill he gets used to it.

To attract his attention you can mix phoenix worms in with the veg too.

casper31

Hatchling Member
So here is a picture of Remey, the baby of the two beardies in my house. He is my son's. I think he is probably close to Slash's age. (He's a bit grouchy cuz I interrupted a good bask...lol)

remey.jpg

This is the size of his veggies. Obviously I didn't give the sprinkle :) It's not the itty bitty size of sprinkle. It's a cake decorator sprinkle, so a bit bigger the tiny ones. I know that people say as big a the space between the eyes, but I have noticed that with both my beardies they like it a bit smaller than that.
sizeofgreens.jpg

This is Remey's daily portion. He eats about 1/2 to almost all of it each day. We put it in the same small feeder dish that pet stores use for mealworms.
portionsize.jpg

For the first month we have our beardies we offer nothing but chopped mustard greens (which both of them LOVE!!) Then once a month, for a week, I pick a mix in for them off the beautiful dragon chart. Everything need to be pealed. The chart will indicate what to cook, and I shred the mix ins with a cheese grater or dice them in the food chopper depending on what it is.

For Lil' Miss (7 mos old) I give her greens first thing in the morning. My son's work schedule is part-time so he gives Remey his greens about 2:30 (Two hours after his afternoon feed. Remey is still being fed 3x a day).

What's in the dish today is a mix of mustard greens, kale, and pealed/shredded yam. We give mustard greens daily as a base no matter what is mixed in. I pre-chop about 3 days worth and keep them in the 1/2 cup Glad containers. One container feeds both of them each day. Hope this helps a little.

casper31

Hatchling Member
I just love these pics of Myah...i never get sick of looking @ them. Such a beauty! And the photography is just gorgeous :)

Colesdad

Original Poster
Thanks sooo much. Both of you guys have helped me wonderfully! I'll be doing that this morning after his cricket breakfast! :D

morphmom

BD.org Addict
casper31":w0qxxnwa said:
I just love these pics of Myah...i never get sick of looking @ them. Such a beauty! And the photography is just gorgeous
Thank you very much, I'm always looking for pic heavy threads. I'm so glad I found this site, the people here really are amazing. (that means you casper31 and Kratoskeeper) Lets us know if you have any other questions Colesdad, most of us here just want to help. :D

Colesdad

Original Poster
Okay, here is his veggie dish. I feed crickets outside of his cage, two reasons, 1 he seems to like the"hunt", 2 I don't want the worry of crickets hiding in his cage. In his bowl is Kale and smashed up squash. He did eat a cricket out of his bowl while in his cage. I pulled both back legs off and I watched him grab the cricket, but then walked up to his basking spot. Like I said, I know it takes time. But look and see and give me some advice. I put it on the cool side, about 75 degrees to 81 degrees.
Veggie1-1.jpg

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Colesdad":18vtgjgn said:
In his bowl is Kale and smashed up squash.
Ok, the squash is great but the kale should be switched to another green listed in the 'beautiful dragons' food chart. Putting small worms in his salad is a good way to 'sneak' in the greens. He's bound to get a mouthful of salad with the worm. Phonix, Repti, Butter, these should all work. There's also no risk of a bite in the night. Good luck. :D

Colesdad

Original Poster
Thanks Morphmom. I don't know what I was thinking when I was searching for my green staple. I even printed the list and took it with me, lol. I don't really pay attention when my wife and I go to the grocery store, I usually zone out zzzzzz. But when I was there looking for stuff, I had no idea there were so many choices!!

I'll change my greens. I also ordered some phoenix worms last night, so I'll see how it goes!

morphmom

BD.org Addict
Colesdad":87ggvblr said:
I don't really pay attention when my wife and I go to the grocery store, I usually zone out zzzzzz
LOL! My house is the total opposite! My hubby cooks so I'm the one who's always asking, 'are we done yet?' LOL! :lol: Keeps us updated :wink:

casper31

Hatchling Member
I agree with morphmom...kales not the greatest staple, but it's good for a mix in so you didn't waste your money. The portion and size is great. Very nice work!
I'm horrible with lists as well. Heck, half the time I forget to use the coupons in my wallet!! I have the webpage bookmarked in my phone so I always have it. It's so easy to use. I wish all feeding sheets were that straight forward & color coded!
I keep my greens in a plastic container with a dry paper towel @ the bottom to catch the water after I prewash the veggies & then put a damp paper towel on top to trap the moisture in before I put the lid on. They keep a little over 2 wks that way. I read another post about glad having produce ziplock bags & the greens kept 3 wks. That's next on my list to try!
anyway, great job for a first timer! Slash is a lucky boy. :)

and thank you so much morphmom for the compliment. It was very kind. & I do agree that there are wonderful people here, including yourself!

Suzan

I agree this is a GREAT site and there are WONDERFUL people with so much info for new parents, including myself. Looks like you are being a great dad colesdad. Did the little one eat the fruit? I can't get zig to eat any. Is there something diff. you did to get slash to eat them.
OMG morphmom the pic with full belly is awesome. I agree you are a great photographer.You gave info that im ganna try. I think i give him too much greens 'cause he trashes the dish all over and his bedroom (viv) is full of little pieces. I think he has fun doing it or digging for something good :lol: . I was wondering If i should be dusting the cricks with ca? The cricks are gut loaded, phoenix worms, 5 diff. greens.
(How are things in the great white north morphmom?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom