Genetics question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsj

Hi,

I think I have a pretty good idea, but i was wondering if anyone would mind just clarifying what I should produce with this pairing?

Female - Hypo (clear nails) ----------- X ------------ Male - Italian leatherback - double het (hypo + trans)

The male is also quite possibly a partial translucent I believe.

Many thanks

Pravius

Juvie Member
You may get some Hypos, you may also get some leatherbacks since the gene that controls that trait is co-dominant, and you may get some hypo Leathers. Your babies may be het for trans and Hypo if they are not displaying the trait as well but would be called 50% het trans I believe.

If the male is 100% het hypo and the female is 100% hypo displaying the trait then the babies that were not Hypo would be 100% Het Hypo.

Any dragon that is not in the Homozygous Leatherback form then it will not be Het for Leatherback because it is not a recessive gene. Unless the father is a recessive leatherback which is a little more rare than the Co-Dom leatherback from what I have seen.

Keep in mind that this is all probability but that gives you an idea of what would come out.

jsj

Original Poster
Ok , that`s great. Hopefully will have some nice babies then :D

Thanks guys

jsj

Original Poster
I don`t have any pics at the minute, but they are very colourful. The mum is a hypo citrus(Fire and Ice) and is a massive girl lol, and the male is a bright orange leatherback.

koiboydavid

Hatchling Member
Keep me on the list for a baby! Best of luck!

Pravius, do you know of any good site or thread anywhere that does a good job of outlining the different genetic traits and information about those traits?

Thanks!

Pravius

Juvie Member
spyder79":6f5eb said:
koiboydavid":6f5eb said:
Keep me on the list for a baby! Best of luck!

Pravius, do you know of any good site or thread anywhere that does a good job of outlining the different genetic traits and information about those traits?

Thanks!
this site does a fairly good job of explaining genetics david
http://www.vmsherp.com/LCGenetics101.htm

Yea, that's a pretty decent site. There is this one which is put together for Beardies as well:

http://www.mbdragons.eu/en/genetica.html

That one is pretty current on some of the morphs we have available now with some decent explanation with punnet squares. I would be more then happy to help you out if you have specific questions, I am by no means a genetic expert but I have been really researching it for quite awhile and would be more then happy to help... just PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom