fun story

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnki

Juvie Member
I went to a reptile show last Saturday in hopes of finding some silkworm chow. No one there was on to the silkies yet so no chow. Big Bummer.

Anyhoo----I bought 100 wax worms for bruno and was anxious to feed him something new. I offered him one when I got home and he took it quickly and then kind of went BLAHHHHHH.......he stopped chewing and slowly spit it out :puke: . I think he sincerely hated the taste---so now I have 99 wax worms to give to my friend to feed his turtles.

I also bought 2 Madagascar hissing cockroaches----one male and a very preggers female. They are really very cool!

My friend who wen with me ended up buying 2 six week old potbellied pigs. NOT FOR FOOD----he's a farmer and loves piggies as pets. :blob8:

invictusrules

Juvie Member
Yeah, no one at our shows bring silks or food, either.

But if your hisser is pregnant, you can look forward to:
100_0530.jpg

This was the COOLEST thing! She cleaned her babies for hours (you can see her head is blurred) while they got brave enough to venture out. She had over 30, and they're getting bigger every day.

Hope you get healthy babies.

dawnki

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Great picture!

I named my two hissers; Ozzie and Harriet. :D I l love them, they are so intriguing and fun to watch.

Thanks for the well-wishes on the soon-to-be babies. I am excited.

I've thought of starting my own booth at the reptile show with silks. I seem to have 'good luck' raising them.

invictusrules

Juvie Member
You're the only one who has that "good luck!" Did you luck out and get virus-free stock? If so, I'm jealous. I was doing fine two years ago until I added new silkies that had grasserie which infected my whole set-up, and I never got them going again. Sigh. I miss the little guys. They were so much easier than the hornworms I'm raising now. Didn't go walk-about. Didn't fly around like b-52 bombers. Laid eggs in one place. Waited patiently in the fridge till needed. Sigh again. (though the hatchling hornworms are cuter)

Keep your colony going and don't add new silks! Maybe I'll see you at a show. :wave:

dawnki

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well my originals went through the whole cycle and now the babies are about an inch or so long. I am also raising zebras which hatched out Oct. 3rd----damn, these guys are resilient and HUGE. I measured one at 3 inches last night. I've tried to keep both strains separate but it's been difficult.

I ran out of chow and have been feeding mulberry leaves again. The colder temps make it even more difficult to find adequate feeding leaves for them--- but they are devouring them. :::crossing my fingers:::

I go to the Ohio reptile show in Columbus.

What is the hornworm chow made out of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mei mei
Top Bottom