Frustrated with scared baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krispy

I've had my baby dragon for a week now and have held him a total of 3 times. Everytime I try to pick him up he runs away and when I do finally get him he jumps (I only hold him in the tank). Tonight I was cleaning his stuff and had to take him out. He ran from me then when I finally got him he bit me! I want to start feeding him in a separate tank but if I have to struggle so much and scare him, I don't see that happening. I've read on here that if they run from you, just persist otherwise they learn that running means you leave them alone.

How can I make things easier? Give him more time to adjust? I tried just holding my hand in there but he eventually runs to a corner. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Gickel

First things first, it would help GREATLY if you attempt to hold your bearded dragon AT LEAST once a day. It's perfectly normal for them to want to run away from you, especially when they are new babies. Babies tend to be VERY jumpy, so when holding, always pay attention to them or they will jump out of your hand. Now when you attempt picking him up, and he opens his mouth to bite, stick food quickly into his mouth. This should show your hand is not there to hurt him, but feed him! Handfeeding is a good way to bond with your dragon, though I'd only do it when they're babies, and switch to tongs later on. Now, when you ever pick him up, DO NOT put him down when he struggles. If you do this, he will learn that struggle = freedom. Just let him run from one hand to the next until he stops for a minute, and then put him back. Also talking to them and interacting with then in the tank is also a good way to get him used to your presence. All these things worked great for me! Just remember: results wont happen overnight. It takes time and bonding for them to get used to you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

-Kat

Krispy

Original Poster
I will definitely try the food trick! Thanks so much for your quick help :) I will update with the results in a couple days!

Krispy

Original Poster
Well I must say things have been good with taming the baby :) I've been holding/touching him about 3 times a day now which is a huge improvement from a couple days ago. He's still skittish but I've been able to transfer him back and forth between his regular tank and his feeding tank for 2 days now :) He's gaped at me twice but no bites and I wanted to try the food trick but by the time I get a piece in hand, his mouth is closed.

Happy to update with good results!

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Good job!! Just keep it up and before you know it he will be spoiled and not want to be in his tank,,just want you to hold him..

Hi Krispy! I'm going through the same situation as you right now. I've had my dragon for about three weeks. I've been trying all the same things as you. I fear mine may be a little more skittish as I still can't handle him after 3 weeks. But I hear that once you tame these guys the relationship is much stronger than if you didn't have to tame them. One thing I am trying is to keep him hungry. Then when he wants to eat he has to come to my hand to get food. Congrats on how far you've come so far!

Mediabandit

Sub-Adult Member
At the end of the day, take your shirt, ball it up and put it in the enclosure with him, he will check it out and get used to your scent, it will then make it easier to handle him. Good luck.

Krispy

Original Poster
LostRealist":1hryab23 said:
Hi Krispy! I'm going through the same situation as you right now. I've had my dragon for about three weeks. I've been trying all the same things as you. I fear mine may be a little more skittish as I still can't handle him after 3 weeks. But I hear that once you tame these guys the relationship is much stronger than if you didn't have to tame them. One thing I am trying is to keep him hungry. Then when he wants to eat he has to come to my hand to get food. Congrats on how far you've come so far!

I'm sort of glad it's not just me going through this :) It's true that every beardie is different...I realize that more and more going through posts. I'm kind of doing the same thing with keeping him hungry. I only leave his greens in the tank and I think he's starting to figure out that he doesn't get crickets in there with him anymore lol. He doesn't eat alot at once so I take him out about 5 times a day and it's helped alot feeding in a separate tank. Perhaps that's something you could try...I'm also going to do the clothing for scent idea :) Slowly but surely he's coming around...best of luck to you with yours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom