Frozen bugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
So, let's say that our temps dropped horrifically from the time I sent in my money to process a shipment of superworms (as in about 50 degree difference). Let's say that there has so far been 1 superworm that is showing any signs of life. Would I be alright to either refrigerate or freeze the remainder of said superworms? I'm still not sure if they are alive or not, I'm letting them thaw. One heat pack was cold, one was still slightly warm to the touch.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Were the supers sent with 72 hour heat packs? And were they shipped overnight? If the vendor used the 72 hour heat packs and shipped overnight, they should have arrived alive. I would contact the vendor and let them know you have a problem. Now, considering that drastic temp change, it doesn't take very long for small bugs to freeze to death. If you let them sit a few hours at room temp they would become active if they were still alive (most worms become in-active in cooler temps but will snap out of it once returned to room temps). I would say that it sounds as if the supers are dead. As far as re-freezing or refrigerating them, once they were frozen during shipping they lost a lot of their nutrients from that. Putting them in the freezer would only cause more loss of nutrients and it's doubtful your dragon would eat them. If you put them in the fridge, they will just start to decompose. Contact the vendor, see if they will work something out for reshipping. I think the batch you got is done for, so I hope it wasn't a large quantity.

Litakat

Hatchling Member
I'd give them a bit more time. I had that happen to me with a shipment of supers I got. The first one did actually die, then I thought the replacement shipment died too until I left them a few hours and returned to find lively worms. So contact the vendor in case they really are dead and give a little time to see if they perk up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom