Freaking out about swollen eyeball

Status
Not open for further replies.

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
Heading to vet today which is when I noticed it but does anyone have any insight? I trust this group with knowledge. Chime in. I did notice her cough a little so maybe uri? Ugh. Looks uncomfortable!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Can you post some photos from the side and head on? The top of the eye looks a bit gray like it's shedding. It's possibly just eye bulging to try to loosen the shed up.

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Vet says eyeball is fine. There is some swelling of conjuntiva tissue but no foreign body or corneal abrasion. She irrigated and we go home with drops and baytril oral susp for early uri. Poor baby. It's gonna be a fun weekend wrestling with her.

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Vet suspects she may have traumatized it. I did put her in her play pen yesterday which has crushed walnut. I suppose some of that could have abradded her. Blah blah. There is no telling now anyway. I just will keep a close on eye and hope she gets better. But I know she hates baytril.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor girl. I hope she heals up quickly. It may be worth getting some silk worms to try and help reduce swelling. Having some bene-bac on hand to help ease her system while she's getting baytril may be helpful as well.

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I will look up the bene bac. Didn't know such a thing existed! Also silk worms help? I will research for sure but if you have info let me know.

She has had two URIs this year. I am going to investigate possibility that enclosure is too humid.
In the meantime, I am carrying her with me and she seems to enjoy it. It's a hoodie worn backwards. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She may have scratched or rubbed her eye some, but it most definitely looks like it is going to shed in that area. The color is off compared to the other side.
The bulging or appearance of swelling usually happens when they are going to shed, as water builds up under the skin when new scales are forming.
It's always good to keep the humidity levels under control also, no higher really than 40% on average.
I hope her respiratory issues goes away soon, too. Be sure to keep the tank around 80 overnight also, to help boost the immune system.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Serrapeptase is derived from silk worms so they can also help reduce swelling. They're also a pretty good feeder bug in general. You can get bene-bac online. Sometimes it's in the bird section of the pet store (for birds and reptiles). I believe Tracie carries some on her website too.

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I guess I will continue to update this thread until it is all better just so that others may benefit....

She is acting much more like herself so I think the Abx are working. Still need to get Bene Bac.
This am her eyelid looked the same. I put in the drop. And I am not kidding when I say that about one hour later I walked and noticed her eyelid looked different. Overall not as puffy. But seems to have a larger lid crease and a higher setting eyebrow ( some residual swelling?).

I am really intrigued to find out if she will then go on to molt this and if that was the problem all along as has been suggested. You guys are so smart! I raved to my husband about how this website is such an incredible site filled with truly beardie-loving people who have fantastic insight.
In this photo looks almost normal! But it is not symmetric. Not yet.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great her eye is improving. I think she must have scratched or irritated it because that area is going to shed. I hope it continues to get better.
Did she eat anything today?
Definitely keep us posted on her.

Tracie

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
And.... Boom. The molt. You guys rock.
I gave her the drops on and off so I can't attest it had nothing to do with molt but most likely it was just swollen because it was gonna molt. Who know may be she injured it as well and drops may have been a laying discomfort. For now just happy it looks so much better. Thanks everyone.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She IS definitely smiling there. LOL :D
I am glad she has shed it off now & is doing so much better.
She could have accidentally irritated it though when scratching it or rubbing it since it was going to shed.

Tracie

FortheLoveofLizzie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So an update.

When it seemed to get better I have been for a week and had little contact with Lizzie. When I handled her again I noticed it was more pronounced. Freaked out again.

I emailed the herpetology department at UW Madison Veterinary Hospital and get a swift response saying most likely cause for unilateral eye protrusion of which I provided pictures was a retrobulbar abscess or an abscess behind the eye which would likely require drainage.

I have appt Monday. They may CT scan or MRI her head to see.

In the meantime, I realized when it looked better not only was she on anti-inflammatory eye drops but also on baytril for a URI. It is possible the eye got better because of antibiotics supporting the infectious suspicion. I am putting her back on it daily at same dose till her appt.

Will keep you posted.

A searched the Internet about this. Very scant. I hope they can save her vision as apparently beardie with eye loss have trouble feeding due to loss of stereo vision for aiming and ultimately succumb to malnutrition

Lizzie and me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom