Finally Got The New UVB!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptar101

Hatchling Member
Ok, so today I got a new UVB! I did have my dragons under a ReptiGlo 10.0, the coil kind. Yes, I know, that wasn't smart. But two days ago, one of our dogs tripped on the cord and it broke. So we went to PetSmart. I got one of those ones that are Zilla that come with the fixture. I am just very glad because I didn't like the ReptiGlo! I wanted the best for my babies. The breeder we got Puff from told us they were alright, but everyone on here said no, so I went with majority rules! The one we had in there previously was only 1 1/2 months old, so it wasn't time to change it, but I was going to change it anyways!

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
Reptar101":1qa15dl4 said:
Ok, so today I got a new UVB! I did have my dragons under a ReptiGlo 10.0, the coil kind. Yes, I know, that wasn't smart. But two days ago, one of our dogs tripped on the cord and it broke. So we went to PetSmart. I got one of those ones that are Zilla that come with the fixture. I am just very glad because I didn't like the ReptiGlo! I wanted the best for my babies. The breeder we got Puff from told us they were alright, but everyone on here said no, so I went with majority rules! The one we had in there previously was only 1 1/2 months old, so it wasn't time to change it, but I was going to change it anyways!

Sorry to put down your new light, but Zilla brand is quite crappy. I would ditch the bulb and invest in a Repti-Sun 10.0. They are the best. You can find them at petmountain.com for like 27 bucks or so. And i've heard you can find the fixtures at Walmart. I think in the cabinet lighting area...for about 9 bucks.

Reptar101

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The Zilla one came with the fixture, so that is the main reason we got it. I have a question. Am I supposed to remove that plastic thing on the fixture?

Reptar101

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I scratched myself pretty bad. I didn't see the screws you had to undo (they were in their weird) and it sliced the palm of my hand!

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
Heffie":1n7irref said:
I understand removing a glass cover but why remove a hard plastic cover... just wondering

Anything between the bulb and the dragon will block uvb from your beardie. Be it wire mesh, plastic, or glass. So its best to have nothing between the bulb and your dragon. I ended up mounting mine under the wire mesh by looping a few christmas ornament hooks together and strapped my fixture under the wire mesh...here's a pic (you can't really see the wire holding it on though):

1-2-11003.jpg

Heffie

Found some good info on the subject:

Mesh and Screen in the Vivarium

"Anything that is placed between the lamp and the reptile will absorb a percentage of the UVB.

Ordinary glass will absorb 99-100% of the UVB; most plastics will absorb almost all. It is therefore very important that there is no plastic or glass between the bare tube and the reptile. Some fluorescent tube fixtures are sold with transparent shields; these must be removed, as UVB will not pass through.

Panels of wire mesh or fly screen are often used as lids or ventilation panels for vivaria, and enclosures completely constructed with nylon mesh are increasing in popularity. It is quite common for fluorescent tubes to be placed outside of the vivarium, with the mesh or screen between the tube and the reptile. Wire mesh or fly screen significantly reduce transmission, mainly by physically blocking the passage of the UV light."

- http://uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubemeshtests.htm

For more good info on lighting visit the quoted site, I like to know why. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom