falkor's story

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, i thought i'd go ahead and start up an ongoing thread for falkor. if you're interested in reading about his beginnings and the mini adventure i've gone through trying to right the wrongs of the pet store, check out my introduction thread here - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=131036&start=0. either way, i'm going to go ahead and repost the pictures from that thread and continue to add to them :)

the day i brought him home along with his original setup:

IMG_3949.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

his current setup (the middle is a little dirty from calcium dust - time to clean the carpet)

IMG_4031.jpg

almost looks like it could have been take outside - well, except for that black cord ;-)

IMG_4000.jpg

"i'm sure i could reach that plateau...doesn't look that far..."

IMG_4015.jpg

i LOVE how this shot turned out:

IMG_4018.jpg

here's a funny shot i took the other night of him sleeping. he normally sleeps up on his branch, but on this particular night, he didn't quite make it before falling asleep :-D

IMG_3995.jpg

hunting crickets:

IMG_4047.jpg

hanging out on my hand while shedding his legs:

IMG_4049.jpg

another cool close-up:

IMG_4054.jpg

trying to surf the internet - sorry buddy, you just don't weigh enough to press down the keys:

IMG_4058.jpg

i just bought some slate tile tonight and i have it all ready to go in. that'll happen as soon as i get out of work tomorrow. count on some more pictures then. i'm so excited - i think it'll look really cool :-D

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
update time! falkor gained another 19 grams this week. she's now at 279 grams and 17" long. she went through a body shed this week. took a couple of days and she wasn't all too happy about it, but it went smoother than her head shed did last week. i have also been increasing her dubia intake. i've been doing my best to only select male nymphs to feed her so i don't cripple the colony at all since it isn't fully established yet. needless to say, she love loves her roaches. the good thing is that she'll still eat her crickets as well. i love that she doesn't seem to be a picky eater at all :) falkor has also taken to playing the piano. or rather, she likes to sit on my shoulder while i play since she's not quite heavy enough to push the keys down herself ;-) here's a video of "us" playing it. btw, the piano needs a tune, but it sounds really good for having sat in a dusty basement for the last couple of years, so i'm happy for now :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2YVIRAo6SA

on to the pictures!

weekly weigh-in:

IMG_4798.jpg

IMG_4805.jpg

a couple of pictures of her trying to play the piano:

IMG_4774.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

just a random cool picture:

IMG_4791.jpg

larissa took this picture of us while i was working on my computer. i thought it was cool how it looks like falkor is looking at whatever i'm looking at.

IMG_4797.jpg

i took the next several pictures to show the progression of her back shed during the course of a couple of days. shortly after the last picture was taken, i gave her a bath and the rest of the skin fell right off.

IMG_4811.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

IMG_4819.jpg

IMG_4825.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg

IMG_4833.jpg

IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4852.jpg

here, she has just noticed that i got some dubia out. she glass danced like i've never seen her glass dance before.

IMG_4861.jpg

after eating a couple of dubia, she was looking for more, but didn't see this one at first...

IMG_4865.jpg

...but it didn't take her long to find it ;-) also, i'm happy that i finally got a shot of her sticking her tongue out. she's usually so fast and i never quite time the picture correctly.

IMG_4866.jpg

finally, here's a picture of a female dubia surrounded by several babies. this is the first time i've seen this in my colony, so i was pretty excited. i mean, they've obviously been breeding, but i'd never actually seen this before.

IMG_4858.jpg

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
she looks so very happy! Juuji's body has blown up lol!~!! you're right, our beardies are on the same shed schedule .... for now anyways lol :p she is looking great as always and her colors are really starting to come through! shes so beautiful

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Phoenix17June2009":15zyr6jh said:
she looks so very happy! Juuji's body has blown up lol!~!! you're right, our beardies are on the same shed schedule .... for now anyways lol :p she is looking great as always and her colors are really starting to come through! shes so beautiful
haha yeah, shedding is so unpredictable, i'm sure they'll never do it again at the same time ;-) and yeah, i'm loving the colors that are showing up. when i first got her, she was mainly grey and brown. i would have never guessed that shewas going to end up with so many orange highlights. i love the orange in her beard and and i especially love the orange eye shadow ;-)

NavyxWife":15zyr6jh said:
Our dragons have the same name haha :)

He is beautiful
thanks! that's cool! i always enjoy finding other falkors :)

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
Wow,you are really good at the piano! :shock: :D How long have you been playing?

Falkor looks beautiful as always,and she looks so relaxed on your shoulder :D

PS: That is so cute the way the baby dubias are huddled around their mommy :p I raised dubias for awhile but Jojo didn't like them. I might try again someday with Gemini.

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
puppytoes72":391svzft said:
Wow,you are really good at the piano! :shock: :D How long have you been playing?
haha, thanks! i've played since around 4th grade - so it's been about 23 years. though i didn't receive any "formal" training until i was in high school - i just kind of started playing songs i heard on the radio. i haven't really focused on the playing technique as much as i would like though. at some point in high school, my attentions mainly turned to writing and recording music and if i did play live, it was usually on guitar. i have a link to some of my music over under my username - it's the website one. or you can just click here - http://www.reverbnation.com/controller/audio_player/detachable_player/artist_489097?autoPlay=true

anyway, i'm really excited to finally have a piano in the house. i haven't had one since i lived with my parents so i'm looking forward to being able to develop my technique some more. also, i've started giving my wife lessons since she's always wanted to learn but never had the opportunity :)

Falkor looks beautiful as always,and she looks so relaxed on your shoulder :D
awww thanks! :-D

PS: That is so cute the way the baby dubias are huddled around their mommy :p I raised dubias for awhile but Jojo didn't like them. I might try again someday with Gemini.
falkor definitely loves them. the way i looked at it when i decided to start the colony was that if she decided that she didn't like them, then i would start selling them - and then use that money to buy crickets. so i figured it was a win either way. so, i guess what i'm saying is that you should just go ahead and give it a go ;-)

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
mistegirl":op3clu6i said:
What an awesome little girl and growing like a weed! Enjoying the diary, it's clear she's well loved :)
thanks! glad you enjoy reading about her :-D

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
well, falkor is now 17.5 inches long and has put on another 20 grams which means that she is just shy of the 300 mark :) nothing too exciting or out of the ordinary happened this week, so i'll just jump right into the pictures.

weekly weigh-in:

IMG_4873.jpg

here is the sleeping position of the week. not entirely unlike some of her other positions. i just always enjoy seeing how she places her arms :)

IMG_4885.jpg

IMG_4887.jpg

IMG_4889.jpg

here's a picture in her bath. just look at that cute face! how could anyone ever say no to that?

IMG_4891.jpg

here's a picture of her hunting a roach down while she seems completely oblivious that her hand is sitting right on top of another one. either that or she's covering the roach's eyes so it doesn't witness the carnage that's about to ensue, lol.

IMG_4902.jpg

finally, here is a picture of a couple of roaches mating. yet another "first sighting" for me. it was funny because they were right on top when i opened the bin and they tried to run for cover. of course, the female just dragged the male around everywhere while he helplessly fluttered his wings.

IMG_4904.jpg

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
awww Cute pics :) She's growing like a weed !!
The close up face picture is just pure cuteness *wink* More dubia's dad ! pppllllease :lol:
And her stepping on the one while going after the other... lol I'm sure she was just sparing the roach's delicate feelings - don't watch..it'll alllll be fine... really... :twisted: hehe
I enjoyed the update :)

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
NCSUCarrie":2og5q4ym said:
awww Cute pics :) She's growing like a weed !!
The close up face picture is just pure cuteness *wink* More dubia's dad ! pppllllease :lol:
thanks carrie!

NCSUCarrie":2og5q4ym said:
And her stepping on the one while going after the other... lol I'm sure she was just sparing the roach's delicate feelings - don't watch..it'll alllll be fine... really... :twisted: hehe
I enjoyed the update :)
haha, that's exactly what was going on. falkor's such a little devil :twisted:

NCSUCarrie

Juvie Member
nair88":3fh5u85s said:

The cuteness is there to fool us all :) I guess we shouldn't have shared her secrets....well at least the roach's are still in the dark :)

nair88

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
NCSUCarrie":1nh3pd3o said:
nair88":1nh3pd3o said:

The cuteness is there to fool us all :) I guess we shouldn't have shared her secrets....well at least the roach's are still in the dark :)
they would be if it wasn't for the fact that i just gave them a computer to use...crap! i knew i should have ignored their pleas for internet access!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom