Enclosure "needs" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
So, it won't be for a while since my little guy is still on medication, but I'm trying to work on designing some fake rocks and such for him.

I did some searching, but found lists of UBV needs and such.

tankidea.jpg

badsketch :p

If 50% of the width of the cage was how wide the top "shelf" was, would the resulting "cave" be too much of a shady area in the tank ? Should I break it up with like, "light leak" holes or having it away from the back corner (to be more of a bridge) ? I would probably put a nice fluffy bed in the cave area. I'm trying to stick to rectangular shapes for the rocks because I have never carved anything before. D:

And I was wondering, do they need "running around" space ? I know they mainly bask, but I've only had him and been able to observe for a few weeks. How important is unobstructed floorspace for running ?

I've been trying to look at pictures of their natural habitat, and would eventually like some tile that looks like their packed sand/earth, but I'd really like to get a better basking spot in for him for when he's clear of parasites.

Thank you :D

Luthien

Juvie Member
As long as your beardie can get to a 100-110F basking spot the shaded area won't matter. As for running around space, yes beardies do need exercise but if you take him/her out daily for a running around session less space in the tank won't matter.

Also remember that a beardie needs to get within a certain range of the UVB light. All UVB lights are different so make sure to read the box of the light you have.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks ! I'm new to bearded dragons and I don't want to make something bad for him.

I was planning on making the big "shelf" where his basking spot is now. The UVB bulb is 2/3 the tank length about and to the right, so it would be right over it. :D

And I let him out every day. I have to make myself put him back since I know he needs the UBV from his bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom