Dragons together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomcat

back again with an update this time im more then likely getting another female dragon, now i have the option here to split the new viv and get two babies (from different clutches) the female and a male from somewhere else. Now i have been told buy my breeder that ne has never had problems with keeping dragons together in fact i meet the parents of the one im gettign and in that viv is two girls and a male in if im honest a reltivly smaller space then what i would keep mine in.
A few weeks ago i asked about keeping two dragons together. So what im asking now is it a good idea to mix the three dragons together (once they are all a sutible size and the new girl is at least two years old. combines in one eight foot vivarium containing two UV bulbs and at least two basking spots. Is this a good idea keeping the two females and a male, i hear alto of people say not to and a lot of people say you can if you do it right, but i want more opinions preferably from people who do cohabit dragons and any tips they can give to make them get along, but im open to all opinions as i said i hear alot of people saying not two and people saying they keep dragons and showing me theirs in much smaller spaces then what i keep my one girl in at the moment. as i said the three will have eight foot to share so its not a small space .

What my breeder said was its better to keep two females to a male as he has more choice and wont harass them as much, he said two girls would squabble more then if they had a male, he also said its more based on the individually dragons personality in this case my current girl is very active and loves handling and docent seen too fused when she meet another dragon whilst having her nails clipped in fact she pretty much ignored the otuehr dragon decapitate it comming very close to her before begin grabbed buy the owner of who it escaped :p

sue09

Hatchling Member
The answer to keeping dragons together is nearly always no,they do not need,want or get anything from being with another beardie. They are solitary animals and do prefer to be alone. hth. The damage and trouble that can be caused is just not worth it.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I agree do not house them together one will always dominate the other and injuries and death have occurred by housing them together.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Wait, did I just read that you want to put 2 babies in with a dragon who is 2 years old? Do you want to lose those babies? As they will become food for the 2 year old. The older dragon won't care that she's a little on the small side, she will care that you just gave her 2 free chitlins in her cage that she can run and get at her own time.

Just because a so called "breeder" says that's what they do, doesn't mean that it's right. Bearded dragons are solitary creatures and do NOT need to have companions in their tanks. It DOES stress them out, and affect them. Granted there are a few people who have successfully done it, but there are so many factors in there that make it possible.

From everything that I've read about what you've posted, you are new into the hobby, and your experience is lacking. Which is why you're asking these questions, which is great; BUT you can't just jump into putting 3 dragons in one tank, (no matter the size) and expect nothing bad to happen.

NO, you cannot put the babies together. No, you cannot put the babies in with the 2 year old. NO, you should not house the dragons as a group. And NO, you should not house more than one dragon in one tank.

GO on Bloobanks site and watch the video of the larger dragons eating anoles and scorpions. Then imagine what the older one would do to the babies. Very likely no bueno

I cant even keep my two in the same room. They freak out too much even seeing eachother across the room and had to seperate them.

Quelaag

Hatchling Member
You should never ever, EVER put a male with any other dragon. Males tend to be aggressive with other males and males tend to stress out females when their hormones act up. Only put a male and female together if you plan on breeding them and separate them afterwards. Otherwise the female can get over bred and potentially get sick/die. Don't do it, please. Even if two females will supposedly lessen the stress from the male it's still not good to over breed.

As for females with other females, it's still iffy. There have been successful stories, but over all it's not worth the risk of one of your beardies getting hurt as Beardies can be pretty territorial. When I first got Haru, my fiance's sister also got her own Beardie. We housed them together for a few days before finding out that they're not meant to be together; even as babies. My fiance's sister's Beardie was bullying Haru over territory and so they needed to be separated ASAP. Put them each in their own appropriately sized enclosure and if you don't have the room for three enclosures it may be best if you just stick with one or two Beardies until you have the room.

Hope this helps.

Nomcat

Original Poster
You misunderstood me what i meant is i would need to wait at least two years before i would mix them.

Brezzy99

Sub-Adult Member
Even waiting until they are older can be a huge risk. Being out together in a room may be possible. Imagine placing them all in an enclosure where there is no escape. How would you feel if you came home and found one dead or severely injured from being attacked? Placing an animal in that position just isn't worth the risk.

[disclaimer: I've only got the one beardie and I bought him back in October, so I'm not the most experienced owner myself. My experience is largely with leopard geckos.]

Even if the beardies get along wonderfully, there's one more issue to worry about: money.

If you have three dragons in one tank, your vet bills will suddenly triple. Imagine this: One of your dragons is pooping extremely runny and foul poops. Can you be SURE which one is making it? And, even if you can be sure, the others are exposed now. Better get them all treated to be extra safe, because if one isn't treated, the parasite or whatever it is will just keep getting transmitted from dragon to dragon.

I recently took my dragon to the vet to get a check-up and a fecal check for parasites. It cost me 92 US dollars (and it would have cost more if he had to be treated for parasites; his fecal float was completely clean). Your costs for this same procedure would triple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom