Dragon Going Crazy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmAndWillow

Original Poster
sweetiepie9":3b1zj3h4 said:
That's the liquid calcium, but not the same as the one I use, so not sure of the dosage. Please PM Tracie, Drache613 to ask for the correct dosage, as she's the expert in that field. She's the one I always turn to for dosages. Give her the link to the picture of the calcium, too, so she'll know what you got.

I know what you mean about space, and you can add soil to her laybox. Just keep putting her in it, even if she keeps jumping out, she'll get the drift after awhile. So as I said, if she hasn't laid anything in two weeks, then it's time for the vet, especially if she's a rescue. You sure have a busy schedule, hopefully someone can keep putting her in the laybox when you're not home. Just realize that if she is carrying eggs, she's going to lose alot of weight, but she will be ravenous after laying, even if it's not the first day or two. The first time they lay eggs, they're going on instinct & really don't know what's going on. How long is she, I know beardies can be stunted by neglect, soI'm glad you were able to get her weight up. Sounds like she has alot to choose from when it comes to bugs, the locusts especially will put weight on her.

Try not to worry, it's a natural thing for female beardies to lay eggs. It's just scary the first time. I'm hoping she'll get over the experience & not lay any more, as you'll go through the same thing every time.

So keep us all posted!
Deb

When it arrives I will PM Tracie to make sure i dose her correctly :) i'm not good with things like that so an experts advice is always welcome!
she is 15 inches long and i presume around 250 grams now after her weight loss, someone will always be home to feed her and meet her requirements post laying. I can even leave waxworms in a dish for her if no one is in (they won't climb out)
I've been giving her Pro-Rep calci dust mixed with water as a substitute at the minute to make sure she is at least getting some calcium. I've been squeezing small amounts into her mouth using a pipette, here are some pictures of how i've got the lay box set-up. I know the red-light isn't ideal as it is said to cause irritation.

These were taken early this morning before i put the white bulb in, my next investment is a C.H.E for night heat, because there is no chance of irritation. I just need to wait until i get paid next week.

her whole viv has been re-arranged to accommodate for this box :/ i've dismantled her ladder for now until she's done laying
525467_3051232251871_1595211463_31999995_1413590665_n.jpg

here is the tunnel i've started for her...
398917_3051233211895_1595211463_31999998_9974113_n.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Don't be surprised if she wants to dig it herself & collapses it again, in that case just add more soil so she can do that. They get very stubborn about their laybox & how it should be done. They're running on instinct at this point. So keep me updated on how she's doing and I hope she unloads her eggs soon.
Deb

EmAndWillow

Original Poster
no eggs today :( she's settled down and gone to sleep for the night now, maybe tomorrow will be the day

EmAndWillow

Original Poster
UPDATE: I've moved her lay box closer to the heat bulb and some progress is being made, she's spending quite a lot of time in there now and not attempting to jump out so much, she's only scratching at the sides no digging behaviour yet. I think she's trying to get used to it because its a foreign object, she's very tired at the moment from glass dancing inside her lay box all morning so she's having a break up on her bark and i'll try again in an hour or so, apparently they are more likely to lay in the afternoon/early evening?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Yes, Sweetie always lay in the afternoon, so that's good that she's getting used to her laybox now & it's also good you have light on the box, as it willl help if the sand/soil is warm for her to lay. I hope you're there, as you can help her tap down the soil after she's done. My husband used to do that for Sweetie, as that took almost an hour & by the end, the first time when we didn't know what to expect, she was exhausted. She'd also lost about 70g, so for the next week, extra calcium & lots of protein and she regained all the lost weight & some, so I'm hoping that is what will happen to your girl. Thanks for keeping me updated!

EmAndWillow

Original Poster
sweetiepie9":2t843gkt said:
Yes, Sweetie always lay in the afternoon, so that's good that she's getting used to her laybox now & it's also good you have light on the box, as it willl help if the sand/soil is warm for her to lay. I hope you're there, as you can help her tap down the soil after she's done. My husband used to do that for Sweetie, as that took almost an hour & by the end, the first time when we didn't know what to expect, she was exhausted. She'd also lost about 70g, so for the next week, extra calcium & lots of protein and she regained all the lost weight & some, so I'm hoping that is what will happen to your girl. Thanks for keeping me updated!

No problem :) i'm so glad i have someone to share this with its very reassuring. No activity since i posted this morning, she is exhausted from all the scratching and scrabbling this morning she's sat in the same spot since around 1pm (its almost 4pm now) and hasn't moved much just closing her eyes. I'm beginning to lose hope that she will lay :/ its taking a very long time!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It does take a long time, used to drive us nuts! So just be patient, it's like a human being in labour can take a few days before the time comes, plus it's her first time & she's had some issues to begin with before you got her. So, as I said before, count two weeks, if she hasn't laid, it's time to get her to a vet.

EmAndWillow

Original Poster
No eggs today, she's gone quieter now she's not really scratching anymore. She just sits and basks for the most part of the day until i put her in her lay box, she'll sit there for a few minutes then jump out. My sister and i swear we felt eggs in her stomach sides yesterday though

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Is her belly getting bigger? If she's close to laying, then this is the time when the eggs are growing the most. They would feel like little hard marbles, but a bit bigger. Sweetie's eggs were a bit bigger than a nickel, so she could have 32 eggs and they would be hard to feel. Keep me updated, I'm hoping she'll get through this really well. Like I said, if she's not laid eggs by 2 weeks, you'll really need to take her to a vet. Last summer Sweetie did have eggs but never lay them, so she had to go to the vet, get induced & the next day she finally got rid of them. She's had them inside her for more than a month & was almost eggbound. So keep track of the time, please. Keep me posted!

EmAndWillow

Original Poster
I will take her to the vet if there is still no sign in a few days :) they feel like M&M size little balls in her stomach. I think because she's stunted and hasn't had a consistent amount of calcium and D3 absorption throughout her life she's struggling. I'm thinking i will probably take her to the vet anyway next week for a checkup as this behaviour isn't right and in total its been going on (shed included) for about 3 weeks now, the not eating.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I tend to agree that's a good thing to do, espeically since she's had issues before you got her. Let me know what the vet says.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is there any way you could get a slightly larger box in there ? Some dragons will lay anywhere, others are picky. You might also try adding a bit more dirt, and/or covering the box so it's darker in there and she'll feel more like she's " hidden." Most of my girls want to feel like they are out of sight. Also, if + when she does lay she'll be very tired, and Sweetiepie's suggestion of helping her to cover them is great, or you can let her cover them for a moment and then just take her out. Be sure to offer lukewarm or at least room temp. water right after, she'll probably want a good long drink.

EmAndWillow

Original Poster
The liquid calcium has arrived today! 2 drops per 1fl oz is what is recommended on the instructions but i will contact Tracie for special instructions.

I agree with you, she feels very exposed in her plastic box but she was digging under her bark today! she doesn't like being watched and i think making the lay box more private is a good idea. I'm going to put lots of sand under her bark because it has a hollow under it that she likes to dig in thats big enough for her to fit under. She seems energetic and still plump so shes doing okay, i'm hydrating her with a pipette regularly, no-one will be home to watch her tomorow until 3:30 but i'll leave some waxworms and greens in a dish for her

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Sounds good, keep me posted, I'm hoping she'll lay soon, as it sure sounds like she's carrying.

EmAndWillow

Original Poster
I think the time is very close. I made a "hollow" under two pieces of bark for more privacy. Unfortunatley everyone left the house between 7-8 am this morning :( i left her some fresh greens, waxworms and i drip fed her some diluted liquid calcium before i left.

When i came home at 4:30 she was sooooo sleepy! i placed her in the hollow (which is really spacey, dark and very private) and she had a eureka moment and started digging like she meant it! but she tired after 10 minutes and called it a night. I'm really disappointed someone wasn't at home during the day to show her the hollow because she could have put lots on energy into it earlier.

Oh well though, tomorrow is another day and 3 family members have offered to put her in her hollow once i leave for work and monitor her progress. I'm hoping tomorrow will be the day! i think if we are persistent and give her privacy it might just work!

On another note i handled a Uromastyx for the first time today at my local reptile store :)
427839_3076255517437_1595211463_32008463_484019035_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom