DIY Tile Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Hatchling Member
Probably just needing a pep talk knowing in me but just wondering if anyone had any ideas.

I've had my beardie for around a year now; he wasn't in the best condition when I got him and he's struggled with eating mainly. I've finally over past few months got him to eat regularly and I'm proud as punch about it - however, his vivarium isn't ideal. When I got him he came in an exo terra far too small and I had to quickly fork out for a 4ft one but it did knock his eating back a little as he settled.

So - now he's doing well I want to start to evolve his vivarium into the best environment I can but I think I need inspiration. Amongst going to make a brash attempt with landscapes I am thinking of converting the substrate to tile but not sure how much this will cost or what materials are best to use.

Anyone any ideas on how to go about it?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
All my beardies have lived on tile. It really is the most cheap substrate you can get, because its really only a one time fee, and it lasts forever.

For Kiki, I went with the "nicer, Fancier" tile, and for the whole tank it cost maybe $12 dollars.

I wouldn't recommend grouting the tile in, just place the tile down. Makes it easier to clean, and easier to move the tank should you ever want to.

-Brandon

Snarf

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you, I picked up some tile now and hopefully that will do it. He was first on sand so I made a hasty swap to newspaper until I got organised. I wasn't sure if I should grout or not, so that's good to know that I'd be as well not to.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some people do grout, but IMO its easiest now and down the road to not.

-Brandon

saleen89559

Juvie Member
Biggest reason not to grout is the fact that no matter how much you seal the tile grout to repel water, it will still absorb liquids. Leaving the tiles loose also means when cleaning up poo, you only have to remove the tile with the poo on it to clean it and put it back.

Snarf

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
saleen89559":2200sg4h said:
Biggest reason not to grout is the fact that no matter how much you seal the tile grout to repel water, it will still absorb liquids. Leaving the tiles loose also means when cleaning up poo, you only have to remove the tile with the poo on it to clean it and put it back.

I do have in the shed somewhere some waterproof grout and it seems to have been fairly successful so far and considered using. I think I might just leave it without grouting either way and see how I get on - if I really can't get comfy with it, then it will be easy enough to remedy :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livsxx
Top Bottom