Dilema with existing enclosure FEEDBACK please

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherryInFL

Hatchling Member
I currently have the exxoterra enclosure
natural_terrarium_medium.php

It is the Natural Terrarium Medium/Low 60 x 45 x 30 cm / 24” x 18” x 12” (WxDxH)

It is what I have right now. I have reptisun 10 ON TOP of the screen going down the middle and on his hot side have a 40 watt bulb (basking spot is only at 86 but has been at 95 but my bulb blew so I am going out later to get another one) and a chi. Wilson has been doing some squinting. I am betting it is because the UVB is only about 6 inches from him. He is eating so so, pooping fine.

Any input? :banghead:

Esther19

BD.org Addict
He is probably squinting since there is no regular light adjacent to the UVB. I would recommend turning off the UVB until you have another basking bulb. 95 is the minimum they need for digestion, but around 100 would probably be better, 105 if he is a baby.

The UVB should be mounted inside the tank, so that there is nothing between it and your dragon. Some people use command hooks. If your screen splits lengthwise in the middle, you can suspend the fixture on the back side using zip ties. If there is a plastic cover on your fixture over the bulb, please remove it, as it blocks out most of the rays. I hope this helps.

SherryInFL

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Prob should have said he is a Silkie so his temps and UVB need to be lower. He does have a regular light up next to the UVB along with the CHE. His is on the screen since he should have a 5 but I have a 10 so I was hoping by compensating with the screen in between it would drop the UVB.

wilddanny88

Juvie Member
I would just go out and get a 5. The 10.0 was made for use above screens so it would still be too strong for a silkie.

SherryInFL

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I had a 5 so I just swapped it out. I was worried that would be too little UVB since it is above the screen.

Thanks

wilddanny88

Juvie Member
How close can he get to the UVB from his basking spot? If you're worried the UVB output is too small, you can use tinfoil as a reflector.

SherryInFL

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OK he is still squinting. He is not chasing his crickets (he may be lazy). Here is his setup: UVB ReptiSun 5 in a Zilla hood so it is over the screen, CHE, and a 40W bulb so his basking temps are at 95. His cool side is 75-80. His substrate is tile and non adhesive shelf liner. He is a Silkie also which is why he has a 5UVB and his temp is a bit lower. He is 2 months old and 7.5 inches and 20 grams. Please anyone have ideas.

7331e60a.jpg

c37464d9.jpg

Thanks! Just tell me what I should do.

SherryInFL

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Kinda freaked out. Scared his eyes are getting hurt. Took him out and gave him a bath and he drank and drank and his eyes were normal looking.

Majora

Is it a compact/coil UVB or a tube UVB? I can't tell from the picture. Even the Reptisun compacts are not the greatest and I've heard of them causing eye problems.

wilddanny88

Juvie Member
Or he could still be experiencing the squinting from the first bulb and he may need some rest from any uvb. If the squinting stops when any uvb is off for a few days, put the 5.0 back on him and if he doesn't squint he will be fine.

wilddanny88

Juvie Member
In other words, I think he just needs a break from uvb for a few days because of the bad experience with the 10.0. When his eyes go back to normal, he should be fine with the 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom