Crickets just arrived through the mail

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple days ago I ordered my first batch of crickets online. I ordered them from Fluker Farms. They came in quick and alive.

Question is: they were packaged with some small black worms. Does anyone have an idea what kind they could be or why they were with the crickets?

If needed, I might be able to take a picture and post but the worms are pretty small. They are only about 1/4" long.

patrickb

Juvie Member
Little furry black worms? They are the larvae of Dermestid beetles which eat decaying animal matter mostly. They feed on the dead cricket bodies and shed skins. Some consider them clean up bugs, some consider them pests. They are quite common in shipments of crickets though. Pop em in a container and freeze them overnight, then dispose of in the trash to keep from introducing into your area. They are probably present in your area, but you can never be certain of the particular species and safe habits are always best when dealing with introductions to the local environment.

beardsmith

I think I ended up with the same thing in my last order of crickets.
Here is a pic.
2fuzzyworm.jpg

Someone on this forum said it is a cleaner bug and to get rid of it. I also had beetles that look like this in my cricket order (I ordered mealworms too)
Beetle.jpg

It may look like a darkling beetle, but read below:

beardsmith":7a79f said:
I got rid of the fuzzy worms I received with my crickets, then...

I found another beetle, so now have 3 of them. Thinking they were the darkling beetle, I placed them in a container with food/substrate and moisure, and let them do their thing. In just a short time I started seeing very tiny little worms. :blob5: Yay! I think I have mealworms!

:eek: Nope! Not mealworms. :? After a couple of weeks, they were big enough to see detail, and they are the little fuzzy worms!....Meanwhile, two of my mealworm aliens turn into beetles, which are very similar to the first beetle I had, but longer, and not quite as dark. :idea:

Does anyone know if the little fuzzy worms can be used as feeders? They reproduce very quickly, just don't know if they are good for beardies or geckos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom