Cricket Question...Need info asap

Status
Not open for further replies.

ynevar

Juvie Member
I keep my crickets in a 10 gallon tank. I have some that are about 4 weeks old (maybe a bit older I don't think I got 2 week old ones to start off with, they were a bit bigger) which was no big deal. BUT I do have 2 separate sized dragons and some of them I am worried about feeding to my smallest beardie and should be getting another shipment of crickets. SO... THAT said. I want to separate them out. What I don't feed to my dragons (I have been sorting out the smaller ones for my smaller dragon and the bigger ones for the bigger one). I do have a cricket keeper I can put them in, clean my tank and get ready for the new batch I should get tomorrow or Saturday. BUT, what I NEED to know... is HOW on earth do I clean those black tubes. I have never been able to get them very clean and it's bugging me. hahaha pun intended!

Suggestions please???????????? I need to get them cleaned out ASAP and dry so I can can switch the crickets into the keeper and get my tank sanitized and ready for the new batch. Thank you!!!

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So I am madly searching for an old toothbrush I can put in bleach water. My bottle brush days are long over... My baby is now 6'1" and 13 years old!!! (Yes THAT big!)

The new batch of crickets are due to arrive any time now.... I don't want to mix the two and want to clean and dry the tank in between. My coffee is not helping me move fast enough. :banghead:
GAHH!!!

Darn clickets! hehehhe

Amy2

Hatchling Member
I hear ya....My baby days are over too! My baby is 11 years old...lol. It was just a thought. In a pinch I have used a disposable wash cloth and fished it through the tubes...doesn't work the best, but it is better than nothing. If you let em soak in hot water for awhile before you do it, it ought to get anything out of them that is in there. Best of luck to you. :D

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I soaked them in hot water a few times and then in hot water mixed with bleach over night. Now I will try scraping the sides with a disoposable wash cloth after I rinse them. I will see what I can do. I just better get my move on before long. I think I am getting a cold so I just would prefer to sit. But sitting here won't get it done when the new crickets arrive now will it.

Jeesh!

Off I go!

Marcy

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Scrubbed it... now sprayed it with professional cleaner (MY FAVE) to kill any coccidia or any other bugs that might have lived in that tube GAH! Now letting it sit for 10 minutes for max effectiveness. I am seriously wondering if the pet shop would take these crickets. I really LIKE the owners but NOT their cricket prices???? (or crickets?) and I don't want them to be like aw man we lost her as a customer... because they have NOT lost me as a customer but I can't afford to pay those prices for as much as these little guys eat. But some of these crickets are getting too big for my babies. Ummm gah. I wish I knew someone else with a lizard! LOL that would save me the worry.

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the motivation help! I got it scrubbed just as the other crickets arrived. I have the tank just about ready. WOW I had a lot more left than I thought! I am half tempted to sell them to the store.... Hmmmm what to do, what to do. Or craiglist it? I dunno. GAH!

Amy2

Hatchling Member
I would check with the pet store...if they don't want them, then try craigslist. Good job getting the tank and tubes cleaned!!! :blob8:

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wow these new crickets are WAY smaller than my last batch. I put a few in for my guys to eat. My littlest one was like oh yeahhhh little MORSELS... the bigger ones was like what is this a JOKE???? TOO small... pshhh...

I'll keep the bigger ones for him, they are not too big for him and I have them in the Kricket Keeper.

LOL funny guys. I do get some feeder dubias next week, so that'll be good.

Amy2

Hatchling Member
Oh I had that happen with an order of crickets a couple months back. I was really hesitant on what size to order for my guy since he was so small. Well the size I ended up ordering came and they were tiny...like microscropic!!! He wouldn't even bother trying to catch them! lol. I decided to let them grow...well I forgot about them, and well, they died... :oops: Better luck this time, I ordered the right size :D

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
GAH! So NOW.... crickets are escaping from the kricket keeper. I am guessing is because I put some egg crate bits in there,. I dunno. I just didn't want them to have no where to go, well.. they are going somewhere all right! I have had two escape and I put it in a Sterlite tub and caught a 3rd. Buggers...!I guess I should just take out the egg crate. It's just like two pieces of egg crate, enough to hold one egg. But I have not had this many escapees before (at least I don't think I have o-O GAH~!) :shock:

ynevar

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I hate it too... My daughter smashed one and said I killed a grasshopper mom... One eluded my oldest daughter and I last night. I will catch them with a baggie in the tote or in the tank... but in my HOUSE... I have no guarantee for the baggie. I have three kids who are freaked out by them hopping around (not to mention me too). A dog and a cat who will catch and kill them if they are out (they hardly ever get out) since I almost NEVER use the kricket keeper. I most always use my 10 gallon tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom