Cricket Keeper ~ Dangerous? READ ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Why do the crickets in my cricket keeper always die?
Hey everybody. I have something to tell all of you regarding cricket keepers that you may use. Have you ever wondered why the crickets in there sometimes die for no reason? (Well, none that you're aware of). You may be giving them adequate amounts of food and water, but remember that cricket pee is acidic (all pee is). And crickets go, too. Once all of the chemicals get throughout the keeper, it will kill the crickets. Another reason why is because crickets need to be kept at a warm temperature. Leaving them out in the living room or wherever you keep them may not be warm enough, so consider a warmer spot if you haven't already. (I know, you don't have to. I am basing this off of my own experience, so go with whatever works for you). My last reason may be that their keeper just may not be clean enough. If you were a cricket, would you survive in a dump for a month? Would you like to? Probably not...

How do I put a stop to it?
It's quite simple. All you need is some tap water, some white vinegar and a paper towel. Once you've bought new crickets for your beardie, be sure to clean the crickets' keeper out thoroughly. Get rid of all of the remaining dead crickets. In a cup, mix in a small amount of water and an even smaller amount of white vinegar, and put it on a paper towel to wipe around the keeper. It's that simple and this mixture is not poisonous to crickets.

I hope I helped you and answered your question.

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
That is very interesting. The same can be said for superworms, too. I started a superworm colony in a plastic tub. Threw in the worms and a box of bran flakes. After about a month, I went to get some worms out of the tub and YUK! It smelled like pee. They do it too. I cleaned it out and bought new flakes for it.

At the same time, I had gathered a bunch of worms and put them in a small container so we could take Lizz (and his food) when we went to visit the inlaws. I think I got a few too many worms in too small a space. I tried to get some out and the container stunk like pee. Lizz wanted nothing to do with the worms that came out of it, either. Got him some 'fresh ' ones from the colony and he ate them just fine. I am sure that those worms in that small container did not smell good to him.

volvotech

Hatchling Member
Frankly, every cricket enclosure is dangerous based on what you're saying. No reason to target Lee's Cricket Keeper. My question is: who doesn't clean their cricket enclosure? Even if people aren't concerned with cricket/animal health, the smell of decomposing crickets is such that enclosures require cleaning every 1-2 weeks.

I suppose I'm being naive by assuming people clean their cricket enclosures, but it seems that the danger is a lack of common sense - NOT Lee's Cricket Keeper.

Kaiser

Juvie Member
Pretty interesting, and it should be helpful for those who are considering caring for crickets for long term use. However, I would have to agree with volvotech. Although you do state in your first point that it happens with any cricket keeper, there really is no point to single out Lee's Kricket Keeper.

Additionally, the point on temperature varies. Crickets will thrive and breed in warmer temperatures, but their life cycles are shorter in warmer temperatures than in cooler temperatures (so long as it does not drop below approximately 40 degrees Fahrenheit). If you cool crickets down, their metabolism and growth rate will slow down, and their life expectancy is actually extended.

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback; I 'm sorry to target Lee's.

And I based this by by own experience with crickets.

Kaiser

Juvie Member
No worries. Just thought it was slightly counterintuitive to mention a particular brand, and then say that it actually happens with most, if not all other types of keepers. Thanks for editing it out; it just makes the whole post stronger and less controversial, I think. :]

civicblend97

Hatchling Member
I buy a box of 1,000 just about every month......mine are kept in a 10 gallon tall tank, w/ cricket gell, whole carrots, potatoes, and leftover greens that my beardie don't eat is what they get.
I would say about 20 paper towel rolls with the cardboard that they come in and all of mine live the entire month!!!
When there all gone, I take the tank outside and soak in bleach and rinse for about 30 mins and let sit in the sun for a couple of hours....

kngofnwyk

Civic thats interesting that none of yours die, I keep the egg crates and about 3 or 4 paper towels rolls and i pick out a few dead every day,maybe I'm not giving them enough room to circulate, I'l try that next time see what happens.

civicblend97

Hatchling Member
keeping them food, water, and enough paper towel rolls and cardboard is what keeps them living...if they dont have the rolls they step all over each other and thats what kills them....

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
civicblend97":2917vnev said:
keeping them food, water, and enough paper towel rolls and cardboard is what keeps them living...if they dont have the rolls they step all over each other and thats what kills them....

Are you positive? I could add that in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom