Confused on why my bearded dragon passed away..

Nef123

Hello,

A few days ago on Friday, May 10th, my bearded dragon was acting normally. He was fed his lunch around 2pm and I had left for work until coming back at 10pm. He was on the cool side like normal but as I was about to sleep I heard weird noises like coughing almost. I picked him up and moved him to a blanket in his cage under a ceramic heat lamp. I then noticed his beard and it was extremely black. He looked very tired and not normal. Within an hour I realized he pooped and it was solid but also very soft at the same time. It smelled extremely strong. I was concerned, however there was no one to call in the middle of the night.
The next morning I called his vet and he got in at around 8am. Right before his appointment he vomited up food from the day before and it wasn’t digested at all. He looked bad afterwards and really stressed. At the vet, they did bloodwork and it came back normal, however they had to wait until Monday, (today) to tell me about his blood cells and if there is infection. They gave him a vitamins and fluids and a pain reliever and told me they’ll call me Monday. On Saturday, he was sleepy all day which was normal because of the pain medicine. I went to bed Saturday and at 5am I woke up and found him laying on his blanket with more vomit by his mouth but he wasn’t breathing. He was also limp. I took him to an emergency animal hospital and he had passed away. I was told today on the phone his results for the blood cell count test and the vet said he had high levels of toxins in his blood. I don’t understand what happened. Could a bug have crawled in his mouth when he was basking and had it opened. There is no way he ate anything himself.. he was 4 and had adenovirus. I’m wondering if that played a part. Maybe his bugs had toxins or his greens had pesticides? I would really like some closure. I appreciate it.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
So sorry for your loss :(

Toxins can not only come from something ingested, but also from the body not being able to filter them out.
Let's see what others say, but in humans this would for example be a problem with the liver not longer being able to filter (normal) toxins out, and then they get into the blood, causing typically feeling very sick, vomiting, and dying. Usually when these symptoms occur the liver damage is already very severe; before, the body can cope for some time with it.

Toxic insects would be fireflies. I guess you can rule that out?

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Hello,

A few days ago on Friday, May 10th, my bearded dragon was acting normally. He was fed his lunch around 2pm and I had left for work until coming back at 10pm. He was on the cool side like normal but as I was about to sleep I heard weird noises like coughing almost. I picked him up and moved him to a blanket in his cage under a ceramic heat lamp. I then noticed his beard and it was extremely black. He looked very tired and not normal. Within an hour I realized he pooped and it was solid but also very soft at the same time. It smelled extremely strong. I was concerned, however there was no one to call in the middle of the night.
The next morning I called his vet and he got in at around 8am. Right before his appointment he vomited up food from the day before and it wasn’t digested at all. He looked bad afterwards and really stressed. At the vet, they did bloodwork and it came back normal, however they had to wait until Monday, (today) to tell me about his blood cells and if there is infection. They gave him a vitamins and fluids and a pain reliever and told me they’ll call me Monday. On Saturday, he was sleepy all day which was normal because of the pain medicine. I went to bed Saturday and at 5am I woke up and found him laying on his blanket with more vomit by his mouth but he wasn’t breathing. He was also limp. I took him to an emergency animal hospital and he had passed away. I was told today on the phone his results for the blood cell count test and the vet said he had high levels of toxins in his blood. I don’t understand what happened. Could a bug have crawled in his mouth when he was basking and had it opened. There is no way he ate anything himself.. he was 4 and had adenovirus. I’m wondering if that played a part. Maybe his bugs had toxins or his greens had pesticides? I would really like some closure. I appreciate it.
Im so very sorry for your loss. I agree it could have been liver or kidney issues, especially knowing he had adv. What ever the cause it doesn't help the pain, I'm sincerely sorry you and him went through this 😔

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your dragon, how
utterly devastating. :cry:
If he had Adeno, he could have been having some liver
function issues but if he had toxins in his blood could be
from a toxic food or bug?
So sorry for your loss.

Tracie

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
if he had toxins in his blood could be
from a toxic food or bug?
I'm just curious (as you know more about such things than me!):
Would toxins that build up due to liver failure (when the liver can't filter them out anymore) not show up as "toxins"? I had thought them being much more likely from that than from (not would rule that out, but lower probability) from something toxic eaten?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chriziz
Top Bottom