Can beardies enter into brumation late?

Buddy- The Bearded Dragon

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buddy
Hey! I'm sure some of you have seen me in other threads and I have another question coming at you guys. So I've noticed that Buddy, my beardie, has been kind of lethargic lately and she hasn't been interested in her food or trying new foods like she used to. I noticed the lethargic behavior just a few days ago and the eating behavior longer than a couple days. I figured it was brumation but I thought that beardies start brumation in winter or anytime near those days. I've noticed that Buddy has been in the "downstairs" floor of her enclosure (which is in the dark), she doesn't get excited about her food as she was about 1 or 2 weeks ago, she doesn't want to try the foods I'm giving her as a treat or snack such as a random green anymore, and she's been laying around her enclosure. I've also noticed that when I take her out of her cage, after and hour or so she finds a dark place to fall asleep, and so i put her back in her cage. Another thing is that she hasn't been climbing her cage mesh like she used to, which I'm not complaining since it's helping her with her finger, but I was guessing that could be part of the behavior. Other than that she's been normal, enjoying her baths, when I take her out she starts off exploring normally and excitedly and yeah. Is it brumation? Is she just lazy and getting older? Should I be concerned?

Let us know!

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buddy
How old is she and has she been brumating in the past?
Could in theorie be brumation but could also just be a slowdown phase
She is about 2-3 years old and I honestly don't remember this behavior in the past so I'm figuring that now that she's older this may be one of her first brumations.

Slow-down phase? Explanation would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Dragons go thru a slow down phase like eating less doing more lounging around- what is the weather like where you are - this too has a lot to do w/ it - brumation can occur different times for dragons- mostly tho its fall into early winter - spring is mating season - what your your temps in the tank also a factor - too cool will put them in a slumber state

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buddy
Dragons go thru a slow down phase like eating less doing more lounging around- what is the weather like where you are - this too has a lot to do w/ it - brumation can occur different times for dragons- mostly tho its fall into early winter - spring is mating season - what your your temps in the tank also a factor - too cool will put them in a slumber state
Cool beans! Thanks for the explanation!

Where I'm at it's May and the temperature is hot even for spring 🥵 I honestly don't know what the temperatures are in her enclosure and I don't know how to find out but they should be a good temp. Personally, I don't think the temps in her cage are the cause of her behavior because I've had the same lights and temp since I got her and they've worked just the same since and idk why should would start acting like this now but correct me if I'm wrong :)

Thanks for the response!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Cool beans! Thanks for the explanation!

Where I'm at it's May and the temperature is hot even for spring 🥵 I honestly don't know what the temperatures are in her enclosure and I don't know how to find out but they should be a good temp. Personally, I don't think the temps in her cage are the cause of her behavior because I've had the same lights and temp since I got her and they've worked just the same since and idk why should would start acting like this now but correct me if I'm wrong :)

Thanks for the response!
You need two digital probe thermometers -- Zoo Med makes them one for surface basking temps 95-100 the other for the cool side of the tank - 80ish -- ambient temps at night 65-75 -- this is crucial for starting digestion on the hot side of the tank -- what are you using for a UVB? coil or long tube fixture?

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buddy
You need two digital probe thermometers -- Zoo Med makes them one for surface basking temps 95-100 the other for the cool side of the tank - 80ish -- ambient temps at night 65-75 -- this is crucial for starting digestion on the hot side of the tank -- what are you using for a UVB? coil or long tube fixture?
I'm actually using neither. Don't worry though I have already been told that I need to get a new light fixture and I'm already in the process of getting one so if that is the reason she's acting different, then it will be fixed very soon. I will also be sure to get some thermometers for her enclosure.

So do you think that her light fixtures are the reason she's acting this way or is it because of something else or brumation?

Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm actually using neither. Don't worry though I have already been told that I need to get a new light fixture and I'm already in the process of getting one so if that is the reason she's acting different, then it will be fixed very soon. I will also be sure to get some thermometers for her enclosure.

So do you think that her light fixtures are the reason she's acting this way or is it because of something else or brumation?

Thank you!
We need to find out what the temps are in the tank-- those and uvb are crucial to the health of the dragon- improper surface basking temps and uvb can cause the behavior your getting

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Yes you should for sure start to monitor the temps. At the very least the basking spot and the ambient temps on the cool side.

As mentioned, might be just a slowdown. You might want to consider letting her brumate this winter, though. It is really not that complicated and very beneficial for their health

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Buddy
Yes you should for sure start to monitor the temps. At the very least the basking spot and the ambient temps on the cool side.

As mentioned, might be just a slowdown. You might want to consider letting her brumate this winter, though. It is really not that complicated and very beneficial for their health
Will do! Thanks!

And when you mean "let her brumate" that means I should just leave her alone and let her do her own thing and not be worried?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Of course. I'll try to go to the pet store sometime this week if possible to get a long tube fixture and a thermometer for her. I'll keep you guys posted. Thank you so much for all the help and info!
Not all long tube fixtures are of good quality - there are 3 on this board recommended - if you like links let me know I will post them

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom