Calypso is a big chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJean

Extreme Poster
She runs and hides any time the light is turned on, or the ceiling fan or the shade is opened in the room she is in.
We have not been doing these things so she won't freak, but I can't always sit here in the dark, LOL and when summer comes will need to use the ceiling fan. Should I continue to be a beardie slave or just hope she gets over it?

LJean

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
At least I can still be a beardie slave, albeit a 'tough love' one. :D

LJean

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
So, any suggestions on how to get her used to these things? Keep the fan or light on all day or for a few days or?? Because once or so every day that it gets turned on, has not helped.

Krypton

Hmm. Try turning the light on when (or before) the lights get turned on in her cage. Keep the ceiling fan off and try and let her take one thing at a time - keep the light on all day, then turn it off right before her lights go off. Try doing this for the week and maybe she'll start realizing 'when the big light comes on, my light comes on.....when it goes out, my light goes out.' My guy seems to think it's amazing that I can turn the 'sun' on and off whenever I want. :lol: If she tries to hide, bring her out of her cage and hold her to you and pet her and talk to her gently. Let her see that there's light in the room. Then put her in her cage. If she tries to hide again, bring her out and put her in her basking area. If she stays put and doesn't hide, give her a treat - a yummy worm or piece of fruit she really likes. If you turn on the lights and she doesn't hide - reward her for it. Tell her what a good beardie she is!

When she seems to start calming down about the lights, start turning the ceiling fan on low every day and leaving it on for an hour or so, then slowly increase the hours it's on. Hopefully she'll start getting used to it being on by then and you can try turning the fan on a higher setting (if your ceiling fan has settings). Try giving her treats again when she behaves well and doesn't hide from the evil fan. My beardie doesn't seem to like my ceiling fan too much - the first time I had it on and I took him out, he lowered his body flat and was scared of it. But I picked him up and held him close and petted him and he calmed down a little. I slowly started bringing him out and holding him while it was on low and then would put him on my bed and let him run around a little. He slowly got used to it being on and is still cautious around it but doesn't freak out so much. Hope this helps. :)

LJean

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
I'll give it a try. But taking her out of her viv stresses her out, LOL Puffy beardie, bitey mouth and all. :D I think the light trick will work though.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
It took 3 hours but she is now starting to move around her viv a bit after hiding, LOL Light will stay on all day. Hopefully she will get past it. I think this is part of the problem why she freaks so much out of the viv.

Krypton

That's good to hear! Try giving her treats for being such a good beardie! She'll probably get used to the lights pretty quick, but the ceiling fan will probably take a little while - because it moves and we have to think like a beardie. They probably see it as a huge bird hovering up there, waiting to swoop down and eat that big lizard for lunch! They think 'eek! run away from that bird!' Or at least this is my interpretation of it. But my Riley seems to realize that after awhile the 'bird' doesn't move after quite some time...and amazingly the 'sun' is in the middle of it. How odd! :lol:

LJean

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
LOL! Yes, I know why she is afraid of it. She and Oscar are total opposites, I tell you.

I was dumb and turned the light off when I left the room (out of habit) and need to start all over, LOL. We turned it on a bit ago and she ran and hid in the corner looking all sad.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Krypton":8a46d said:
aww. Poor thing!
See that thinking has me keeping the lights off, blinds closed, and fan off. I thought you were being supportive? :D

Krypton

Lol. Yeah, it's just sad to hear about her cowering in her corner like that - especially after she was being such a good beardie! She can do it! You hear me Calypso? You is no chicken! Heehee. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom