Brain Damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
diamc":uzxhi3mc said:
Please let us know about the thermometer you're using. Dehydration can also cause strange behavior. Did you turn off the coil light to see if there is any improvement?
Overheating is certainly a BIG possibility as well as dehydration. Actually, it could be a combination of things, too high of temps, dehydration AND the coil light. That's why I had posted this info on an earlier post. Did you turn off the coil bulb?
Make sure to offer oral fluids and increase the baths. Hope your "non-lizard dude" feel better real quick. If you can possibly get a digital probe thermometer now, that would be best and safest rather than waiting for the other one to come in.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would also try to get some chicken and squash baby food so that it can give him a boost, he needs the protein and the squash right now.

Snowflake

Original Poster
Update

Zane is still hanging in there. He's as perky as usual, he just hasn't eaten in three days... He poo'ed, though.

The coil UVB is turned off. The new UVB light should be arriving in two days.

Baby food was a bust. We tried everything; mixed it with greens and put the mash on top of his nose. He ate one tiny piece of lettuce-babyfood mash, but after that one piece, nothing. He hated having food on his head, and kept trying to wipe it off. Nothing worked; plain squash babyfood (after an initial lunge, he quit trying and wasn't interested anymore) peas, chicken... we even tried feeding him a water/food mixture with an eye-dropper. Hand feeding crickets didn't work, hand feeding green-food... nothing. Ugh. He seems always interested at first, but then shuts down.

The baths make me nervous. He freezes and then flips out completely and I'm afraid he'll fall sideways into the water, even though it's not very deep, and get water in his ... ear.. hole... thingy's... His equilibrium is still way out of wack. So I just spritzed him several times instead.

Diamc, is 97 degrees is too hot? I thought that was supposed to be just about right.

Brandon, I appreciated the yellow and green jumpy guys in your message. Of course I lost about 3 minutes of my life watching them, but it was a happy, peaceful three minutes.

2nd Update: Our non-lizard dude seemed better after a 3 1/2 nap. But the other non-lizard was complaining tonight so there probably won't be any time to figure out how to post pictures tomorrow either.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Jodi

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Glad to hear that your one child feels better, hopefully no-one else will get it.

Gee, that's a shame that Zane wouldn't eat for you. Were you asking if 97 degrees was too hot for the bath water? If so, I always test the water temp by the inside of my wrist, not too hot or too cold. Did you put a washcloth or small towel down in the bottom of the sink or container you were bathing him in? If not, try that as it helps them feel more secure since they have something to hang onto. Do you put your hand in the water in case he want to hang onto your fingers?

Snowflake

Original Poster
Diamc,

Sorry, my train of thought wasn't very clear; I was asking about 97 degrees being too hot for the tank temperature. I thought that was close to an ideal tank temperature? Am I off here?

I'll make some modifications for bath time tomorrow, I didn't even consider putting a bath towel down first, that makes a lot of sense. And your comment about letting him hold on to my fingers in the bath... ~sniff~ I'm a bad, bad mom so far. I'll do better tomorrow, I promise. Please hold on, Zaney. :cry: The water temperature I've been using is fine, though, I think. Comfortably warm...

Is there a good book you all would recommend? I need to spend more time reading past threads here, but I sure could use another quick, reliable resource to carry around. Any suggestions?! I just wish there were a few extra hours in the day.

We're now in the process of moving rooms around so I can be closer to the lizard-dudes during the day... These guys have literally turned our house upside down.

Thanks

Jodi

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
When Issy & Rubio were babies they wouldn't eat crickets either, they were in too much pain. So what I did was mix lots of calcium into chicken w/veg baby food on a small plate, then, making sure my hands were super clean, I'd put some babyfood on the pad of my index finger, let them hold onto the same finger & they would lick the babyfood off my finger. Because Zane's equilibrium is off, try putting some babyfood on the tip of your finger & put it near his mouth, maybe he'd eat it that way. That worked well. So if you try this with Zane it might work, as nothing is pushed into his face, or on his snout, he'd just lick it off your finger. Give it a try, see if that would work. That's about all I can figure you can do at this point, he does need to get something in him. My two babies were very skinny, too & they did gain weight enough to finally, after about a month of babyfood, start to eat little crickets again.

For Zane's bath, would he sit on your hand? Or you could have his two front arms rest on your finger, if you can stand to hold on that long. That's what I did with Issy, as she was afraid of baths to begin with. That's all I can suggest.

97F for basking spot is ok, but more towards 100F would be better, but then you have to wait 45 min with the thermometer on the basking spot to get a correct reading. 150W may be too much, but hard to guage without a good temp. Better to be stay where it is, then to make it hotter.

The bath water should be just warm, too hot & he will freak out. Misting a few times a day will help, but he won't get water inside him, which is what he needs, so try holding his two arms with your fingers, that might help. My baby Rubio is now 3 yrs old, so I really have to remember what the temps were when he was a baby, I think they were about there, maybe a bit hotter. I just used a 60W household bulb for the basking area, never bothered with any other type of bulb. Worked great & didn't cost an arm & a leg. Then we switched from Reptisun 10.0 to Power Suns & by then they were in a larger tank.

Hope some of these ideas help,
Good luck,
Deb

Snowflake

Original Poster
:blob5: :blob8: He's Eating Again!!! :blob5: :blob8:

Zane just caught and ate 5 crickets this morning and then ate some babyfood! We'll feed him a little more later today, but I'm SO excited! I couldn't wait to give everyone here a quick update: YEA!!! Thank you thank you thank you for all the great advice!

I think it was those stupid UBV coil lights.

-Jodi

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
GREAT NEWS, I'm so happy he's finally eating, good boy Zane. Is his co-ordination improving, too? Coil lights are just trouble for beardies, they cause all kinds of awful side effects. So glad he'll be getting good UVB soon, too. He'll be right as rain soon enough. Good work!
Give him a hug for us,
Deb

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is just SO awesome that he is eating again, great job. :p Great that he could catch the crickets himself too! Let us know how the 2nd feeding goes. Even if he eats more crickets, would still be a good idea to supplement with the baby food to help give his system a boost. I'm wondering too how his coordination is.

I agree with Deb, the coil lights are horrible and can cause all sorts of symptoms.

I also agree that the 97 degree basking temp is a little low but wouldn't recommend increasing it until you get a good thermometer.

Let us know how the next bath goes after trying those suggestions. No, you're not a bad mom at all so please put that out of your mind. :wink:

We really don't recommend any books on beardie care as they become so outdated. As you know, we recommend this forum and we are here to help you every step of the way. :p

dragginfly

So glad he was able to eat!!!
From what I can see the others here are posting the best advice for your issues! (You guys/gals are awesome)
Please don't feel bad about being a new Beardie Mommy and not knowing what to do. Even the "pros" at the petstore steered me wrong in the beginning. You are getting the best, well researched and most useful accurate info here. Sometimes I think it would be easier if my questions were all answered in one easy to access place...but I find that my questions are more detailed and unique than a set of answered FAQ's can answer. I know that asking here I can get the specific and individualized attention the posters offer here! Not to mention the support!!!
Don't forget about getting a new thermometer/temp gauge. The accurite digital with probe from Walmart (as previously mentioned) is excellent. (Those sell online as well). We also use a digital mini infared temp gun that is a real life and time saver!
I hope your two legged kids get better and stay well.
Elyssa (aka Draggin'Fly)

Snowflake

Original Poster
Yea! Zane is "right as rain"!

He had somehow jumped out of his New York City apartment within the tank and was laying on Kai this morning. I didn't realize he could leap 5 inches, I'm just glad he's okay after that little stint. Maniac. So we'll have to do something else to separate them.

The ate crickets with gusto, and then took his first real bath, which he seemed to enjoy. Kai, not so much. I just love their little unique personalities already.

Thanks again.

Jodi

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Can you make the divider higher? Or use what I've used to keep them in the living room. I bought some corrugated cardboard covered with bright blue plastic & they can't climb it, as their nails can't pierce the plastic covering. Got them at a hardware store. I even use them to block off the balcony (I live on the 3rd floor of an apt building), put 2' tall pieces all around, as I found out that beardies can climb stucco (who knew). When Sweetie was not even a year old we put this stuff across our balcony, because it's wooden & made with holes. Didn't think of the side walls made of stucco. Well one day I couldn't find her anywhere until I checked on the balcony & she had climbed the stucco & was just about to turn the corner. My heart just about jumped out of my chest (new beardie owner, could you tell?) So that when we got that blue stuff & it's kept them all safe ever since. You might try it, if you can find it, it was really cheap.
Deb

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
my only question is are they truly separated? i recall reading the bin was placed within the cage --was it the same cage as the other one? They may not show signs of domination but the one not eating is a sign of being dominated, so they need to be separated. What is the substrate they are on? Did you get rid of the colored lights (really nopurpose for them) and get a new light ordered yet. It is better for no UVB than the light youmentioned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom