Black tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna8359

Hatchling Member
I currently have three bearded dragons, and while they were outside, one of my males bit my other male's tail. I quickly checked the tail to find that the bite barely broke the skin. I few weeks later, my beardie shed his tail to reveal that the bite must have gone through the tail scales and caused the blood to scab under the second layer of scales. Again, I checked the scab out and it looked like it was healing great. When I would hold my beardie and examine his tail, he would always move it away when I would touch the scabbed area. He looked as if his tail was having trouble shedding near the scab and so this time I tried to clean the scab and get the dried skin off of it. When I rubbed it off, his tail looked like it had very white see through scales left. It has a pinkish tint and appears to be somewhat swollen. I put reptile ointment on it and have been washing it out with a mild soap. His tail has turned black since I cleaned it this morning. I know this could be a sign of pain or discomfort, but his beard is not discolored at all. Just the tail. I once had a rescued beardie who lost a toe due to shedding. The area around the infected toe turned the same white-pink as my beardies tail has now turned. I am nervous that this is the sign of the tissue damage. The vet that I currently go to has been seeing my beardies and sees exotics but does not specialize in beardies. I am going to find a vet tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before. His dry scales just scraped off revealing pure white scales that look very much like tissue. I am also taking into consideration that he is in the middle of shedding and the fact that the bite could have gotten infected and caused this to happen. I do not believe that this is tail rot, because only the top is discolored. The bottom of his tail is completely normal looking. am hoping this is a shedding problem combined with a small abrasion.

Jenna8359

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
IMG_5065.jpg

IMG_5067.jpg

IMG_5068.jpg

DSCN3301.jpg

DSCN3302.jpg

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
It looks as if the tail has begun to die, esp if you look at the tip. Its good your taking him to the vet as it may need to be removed if this is the case. What does it feel like (ie is it harder than the normal part of the tail??

Jenna8359

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I was worried about tail rot, but the bottom of his tail looks normal besides the bite scars. He still has feeling in his tail and it feels like normal.He can also wiggle the tip. he still has feeling in the tip also. I have had him since he was hatched and he was born with a scale malfunction. He has had two little notches at the very tip since he was an inch long. The scales never did grow right and they never had trouble shedding. I was thinking it could be tail rot, but his tail turned black in one day..right after I cleaned it. The notches at the tip are normal for him, but I am concerned about that white spot you see in the picture. Until I go to the vet I am wondering if I can put any medication on it to see if it clears up. I def do not want to get his poor tail amputated.

Jenna8359

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So how exactly do they amputate their tail? Do they numb the tail or put them under ? I am nervous that he would not make it through a surgery. I've never had to have a beardie have a procedure like that? Has anyone had experience with surgery?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Poor guy, that does not look too good!
Until you can get him in to see a vet, you need to make sure the tail is kept clean. You can bathe him in a Betadine solution. Get a container and fill with just enough Betadine and water to cover his tail. You want the Betadine/water solution to resemble that of weak tea. After soaking him in the solution, pat the area dry with a clean cloth and apply a triple antibiotic cream, such as Neosporin to the affected area. Do this 2-3 x a day, until you can get him to a vet.
I am unsure of how they typically remove a necrotic area. I would assume the vet would use some type of anesthetic.
Hope this helps. Keep us updated on your little guy.

Jenna8359

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I got into the vet's office today and he said that it is not tail rot ! He said that the bite just got infected and could be cured by oral antibodies and ointment! He also said he may just have a small scar after it heals! Woo hoo. He also said that he looks like he is in good health. It was cute he was exploring all over the vet's exam table. :)

Sardonyx

Jenna8359":1z9odhse said:
So I got into the vet's office today and he said that it is not tail rot ! He said that the bite just got infected and could be cured by oral antibodies and ointment! He also said he may just have a small scar after it heals! Woo hoo. He also said that he looks like he is in good health. It was cute he was exploring all over the vet's exam table. :)

That's wonderful news, Jenna! Very happy for you both :D Keep us updated as to how he's progressing!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom